Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip comparison - Stock 2 vs Shadow 2 (large hands)

gilliamjc

OK, I know the differences between these 2 gats has been discussed at length before, but I've yet to see a direct comparison strictly on the grip size.

From what I've read, the Stock 2 has a shorter trigger reach, but may also have a larger grip?  That seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me.

Background:  I started with a Glock 34, and really like the large, blocky grip that the Glock offers (but that's about it, lol).  I then switched to a Shadow 2 earlier this year as it was readily available.  I love the gun itself, the trigger, and the accuracy, but honestly I index much quicker/better with a Glock.  I'm running Henning grips which helps but still would like a larger/blockier grip like a Glock or 2011.

I have XL hands and long fingers, so when I hear the Stock 2 grip is better for large hands, it has me thinking I'd like to give it a try.  Unfortunately I don't know anyone at my local club that has one to try out.  Any feedback from those with large hands?

6'1". Guess I have average sized hands for my height.

Tanfo fits me better, owned the Shadow 2 & it is a great gun but for a CZ I was a better fit for the SP01 frame and best fit was the Tanfo's. 

SP01 variants are good enough to win at any level and they are not this years new coolness so you see some great deals pop up, if you have not shot one that might get you a great gun at a really nice price. 

Stock 3's are just as nice as the Stock 2's and priced a bit better. 

I may be qualified to answer this one.  

I too have large hands and fat fingers, started on G34 with large backstraps.  Shot a Shadow 2 the latter half of this season and struggled to find the real estate on the grip for my support hand.  The only grips that I found to work adequately on the Shadow 2 were custom-order "fat" bogies from Lok Grips that make the grip 1.35" across.  

I borrowed my friend's Stock 2 to compare.  In the hand, it feels much nicer.  The grip feels a bit bigger.  I was surprised to find when I stuck calipers to each frame that the numbers were near identical across dimensions.  So there is some slight, almost imperceptible difference in the frame geometry, particularly in the way the beavertail and "scoop" underneath is shaped that accounts for the difference in feel.  The Shadow 2 scoop is more aggressive and cut more in toward the trigger.  

The trigger reach is farther on the Shadow 2, but not excessive if you have long fingers.  I actually put on a 97B trigger that extended the reach and had no problems in DA. 

I will say that the difference in quality, fit, and finish on the CZ vs Tanfo is readily apparent.  I could never go to a Tanfo after having had the Shadow 2, and I'm not a gun snob in the least.  It's just a better-made gun in every regard.  The Stock 2 I borrowed was fully worked over by Patriot with BOLO and all the cool-guy trigger parts and it was utter garbage compared to my Shadow 2 with just a 11.5# hammer spring.  

All that said, I draw and index and transition the Glock much better, so I'm going back to Glock.  The heavy steel DA/SA guns are not the panacea I was promised.

If you want to make the steel DA gun thing work, I strongly advise you to get the extra fat LOK grips and disregard the Tanfo.    

I shot a  Glock 34 went to a stock 2. And then to a. shadow 2 I always felt like I had issues with the stock 2 fitting my hand.  I tried the extreme grips stock wood patriot defense palmswells and then the lok bogies and nothing really makes it right. 

When I bought my shadow 2  I set up a stage with movement and reload etc and I was consistently faster and more accurate with the shadow 2 in back to back runs against the stock 2. And it wasn’t even close. 

4 hours ago, wtturn said:

The only grips that I found to work adequately on the Shadow 2 were custom-order "fat" bogies from Lok Grips that make the grip 1.35" across.  

That's a great suggestion.  I think if I had a fatter (but flat) grip, I'd be totally content with the Shadow 2.  I've contacted LOK for a quote.  thanks again

7 hours ago, wtturn said:

The Stock 2 I borrowed was fully worked over by Patriot with BOLO and all the cool-guy trigger parts and it was utter garbage compared to my Shadow 2 with just a 11.5# hammer spring.  

Never believe everything you read on the internet gun forums. 

(Even if I am writing it :) )

Both grips feel very different, yet take calipers to them and they are minimally different; it is more on how they are shaped. CZ is more curved/deeper tang/undercut. Tanfo is more rectangular. The trick to grips is increasing girth at the top/tang area. Most grip panels are thick or palm swell but are still thin at the very top.

I run a Lim Pro (Same frame as the Stock II,III ETC).
I have only handled a Shadow 2 once, but the Tanfo did ‘feel’ bigger/better.
I have XXL hands and even on the Tanfo, I need to use some of the the largest grips I can find. (Patriot Palm swell we’re sweet, saving up for the aluminum version, also have been running Toni system grips).
I tried a Glock but could not index quickly with it. I’m 100% confident that it is all what you are used to.
Seems the Tanfo has no trouble in the hands of the winners in production for the last how many years (usually dominating the top 3).
Not sure the issue the above had with the worked over Stock II he handled... and Tanfo surely has a reputation of not being the most consistent... that said, I don’t think there is anything on them that can’t be dialed in. My Lim Pro has been virtually perfect.... after a good polish job of course ;)

On 11/5/2018 at 12:12 PM, wtturn said:

I will say that the difference in quality, fit,

All that said, I draw and index and transition the Glock much better, so I'm going back to Glock.  The heavy steel DA/SA guns are not the panacea I was promised.

I thought you would switch back eventually. You’ve never seemed to enjoy the CZ, in exactly the same way that I never truly adored my Tanfoglio.  It’s good to know that a GM competitive at Level II and III matches... has formed the same opinion that I have. ;) 

[SARCASM]

But then again, Hwansik Kim went from Tanfo to polymer, and it certainly has kept him from succeeding.

[/SARCASM]

I think a lot of us have picked up a polymer gun after pushing hard to work well with a metal gun, and we’re finding that a Glock or Walther is every bit as competitive as a Tanfo, and the “s#!tty” plastic trigger is something I honestly shoot better than a glass-like one without a rolling break.

It’s all just marketing, and pressure to run what the winners are running, and the like.

The gun really doesn’t matter much. ONCE you find something reliable & accurate that fits your hand.

@gilliamjc I vote you shoot your Glock and sell the steel guns. They still win a dozen chanpionships a year. Don’t shoot a metal gun just because all these other guys are.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Shoot them all. Just switch every month. It doesn't hold you back! I do it. 

Ok. In all seriousness, I've shot them all. Seriously. I'm the village idiot.  

I like the feel of the grip on the Stock 2 better (vs shadow 2) but that's it. The Shadow 2 is a better gun, IMO. 

I also, like Glocks a lot. I shot a 34 in CO at Area 4 and it did not hold me back. I did a silcon carbide grip job. I also remvoed the finger grooves. Thats my favorite glock set up!  It's even thicker and the SC is the poo!  So, that's an option to consider if you like thicker grips. 

I doubt the Stock 2 is going to offer any benefit for you over the sahdow 2. Though, if you're like me and will always wonder, I'd suggest getting your hands on one. 

Edited by B_RAD

To me, the S2 and S2 are extremely similar in feel. 

If one fits good, the other will too. And if one feels "goofy " the other will too.

But, the tanfo wood grips are noteably wider than the shad2.  those with glued grit might be to your liking.

3 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Seriously. I'm the village idiot.  

I told you that in text messges so often you’re repeating it, eh? :D

3 hours ago, B_RAD said:

...Thats my favorite glock set up!  It's even thicker and the SC is the poo!  So, that's an option to consider...

Told you that you’d like silicon carbide! I want it on everything. Except carry guns. It sucks to have skin ground off your hip all day.

11 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I told you that in text messges so often you’re repeating it, eh? :D

Told you that you’d like silicon carbide! I want it on everything. Except carry guns. It sucks to have skin ground off your hip all day.

Yes and yes

On 11/6/2018 at 12:28 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

@gilliamjc I vote you shoot your Glock and sell the steel guns. They still win a dozen chanpionships a year. Don’t shoot a metal gun just because all these other guys are.

@MemphisMechanic  I do think I'll switch back to the Glock for a few matches to experiment.  I know the Shadow2 is an awesome gun, but the Glock does have several advantages - quicker draw, index, quicker transitions, etc.  And shooting 9mm reloads, the recoil isn't really an issue.  

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@gilliamjc forget everything everyone else is telling you about which gun is better. And just run the gun you like the best.

This ^^.

X100.

Very few are actually "too good" for their current gun and require a "better" gun to win.  Choose the one you like the best and practice like crazy.  It's not sexy or fun, but it seems to help.