Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW build? Sight blocks vs trackers Limited Major

AndyG

I was thinking again.( I know big mistake.) I'd really like to get a nicer limited setup. I was thinking about building a 2011 it would be far cheaper than a nemesis or akai. How difficult is it to make an island or a sight block? Which one in your opinion performs better? I'm just more or less looking for opinions and a little advice along the way. This would be my first build.

Kind regards,

AndyG

There are plenty of good/great 2011's in the classifieds.  If money is an issue (always is) don't break the bank on a $4-5k gun.  I'm all about my Nemesis, but I don't think I'm any more accurate or faster with it than I was with my CZ.  You might disagree, but I've been shooting USPSA for a bit over a year now and consistently improving.  Hard to say if the gun really made a difference.  I really don't think your current 2011 is holding you back.  It's heavy, has a bull barrel, light trigger, and runs.  

Hello: I would look for a used STI Edge and mod it. Unless you have a milling machine and know how to use it the island barrel is going to be difficult to cut it correctly. I don't think they are any better than a standard bull or bushing barrel. You can add weight to the pistol using a tungsten guide rod and you can lighten the slide also. Thanks, Eric

4 hours ago, nutzach said:

There are plenty of good/great 2011's in the classifieds.  If money is an issue (always is) don't break the bank on a $4-5k gun.  I'm all about my Nemesis, but I don't think I'm any more accurate or faster with it than I was with my CZ.  You might disagree, but I've been shooting USPSA for a bit over a year now and consistently improving.  Hard to say if the gun really made a difference.  I really don't think your current 2011 is holding you back.  It's heavy, has a bull barrel, light trigger, and runs.  

I just want a nicer gun to be honest. The pro match works and it's not holding me back at all. You gotta make some trips up here bud! I'm ready for more competition in limited.

I have owned expensive SV sight trackers, STI Apeiro, plain Jane STI Edge, custom FLDC Gans gun, and now a Limcat Perfect Sight. Although I’ve noticed small differences in each I can honestly say that with time on each gun I could shoot them all equally well. To me it comes down to preference and the gun builder for follow up customer service. The faster cycling of a sight tracker or perfect sight gun is my favorite but I probably shot my Gans gun with plastic grip better than any of them. If you want a new nicer gun go for it. Just make sure it’s from a reputable source or build one up yourself if you can. 

I like the hybrid guns. I do not have any time behind the sight block guns, so I am not a lot of help there. The slide cuts are definitely harder for a hybrid barrel than the sight block of you are doing it yourself. 

Thanks for the help guys, Ive decided to just do a fldc for my first build. I just gotta save the money and buy the parts as they become available. Im fighting between the CK and PT frame at the moment...