Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best bolt for PCC?

Looking at finishing a PCC build here soon, can a few of you comment on which bolts you have and which ones have ran best for you? I am mainly considering the JP with the silent captured spring, Taccom Extreme 9mm bolt, and the QC 10 9mm bolt assembly. I am completely new to the PCC pool so cut me a little slack on not knowing much.

Not the best bolt but the best bolt for the money has to be the one sold by AIM Surplus for $129.95 with free shipping.

I have one, so far runs flawless and it appears to be the same as the Gen2 bolt sold by Faxon.

PS it has the removable weight.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCG9MMN3&name=AIM+9mm+AR+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=6367

Edited by JZELEK
4 hours ago, JZELEK said:

Not the best bolt but the best bolt for the money has to be the one sold by AIM Surplus for $129.95 with free shipping.

I have one, so far runs flawless and it appears to be the same as the Gen2 bolt sold by Faxon.

PS it has the removable weight.

https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCG9MMN3&name=AIM+9mm+AR+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=6367

That’s interesting. Very solid price that is appealing to my eyes.

Hello: I have been using the JP bolt for a while over 6,000 rounds and only broke 1 firing pin so far. I also have been using a KAW valley bolt as well with the weight removed. It only has about 2,000 rounds through it. Firing pins are the weak part and hopefully someone will make one that doesn't break. The design and material choice is the problem that I have seen in a couple of broken firing pins from different manufactures. The Hiperfire trigger may not help matters either since it hits harder but feels oh so good. Thanks, Eric  

14 hours ago, lacivilian said:

Looking at finishing a PCC build here soon, can a few of you comment on which bolts you have and which ones have ran best for you? I am mainly considering the JP with the silent captured spring, Taccom Extreme 9mm bolt, and the QC 10 9mm bolt assembly. I am completely new to the PCC pool so cut me a little slack on not knowing much.

I'm using the Taccom Extreme bolt and like it...  It works well with the JPS SCS system, but you'll have to remove the weight in the bolt.

5 hours ago, Acer2428 said:

Keep in mind there's not many ACTUAL mfg's out there, just lots of re-sellers. The AR-style extractor is the way to go for sure. Also only one of the bolts mentioned has the owner commenting/helping out on this board.

Who would that be?

The only one I've beaten up thoroughly is the JP, and it's performed admirably. I'm not sure the bolt is as much of an issue as the feed ramp on your barrel, or lack thereof, at least until you get into which bolts are compatible with which (sometimes complicated) buffer assemblies. My rifle uses a relatively plain 9mm buffer as opposed to the MBX/Taccom/Blitzkrieg/JP captive systems that are more popular.

Good question. I have read good things about the JP and the Taccom. I have 2 Rock River bolts and 2 Brownell's bolts. All 4 have worked well. The RRA have a solid extractor like in a 1911. The Brownell's has an AR extractor. The Brownell's has a nitride coating which is like diamonds. It doesn't mark up at all.

I had a weird problem develop with one of my RRA bolts. It suddenly started not ejecting every 4th or 5th round. It extracted the empty case and started to pick up the next round. However as the first case ejected, it would catch between the receiver and bolt. I tried different buffers and springs. Then I tried polishing the ejector and bending it toward the bolt a little. That didn't work so I finally replaced it with a new one. I finally looked at the  extractor. It had a round place in the finger. I polished it and stoned off the round cut in the finger. That didn't fix it. So I finally called Rock River and got another one. Problem solved. Why I don't know. Maybe it lost it's temper or something?

The Brownell's is guaranteed for life.  It is only $119.99.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/ar-15-brownells-9mm-bolt-carrier-group-prod110189.aspx

Edited by ericskennard

If you go with the JP silent captured spring then choose the short stroke one. I converted my GMR-13 to short stroke and I love how flat the gun stays on recoil now. I tried a bunch of different things and IMO this is the best for me.

15 hours ago, joelpend said:

If you go with the JP silent captured spring then choose the short stroke one. I converted my GMR-13 to short stroke and I love how flat the gun stays on recoil now. I tried a bunch of different things and IMO this is the best for me.

I keep hearing nothing but good things about the short stroke from JP.