Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Halosun 510c

EddieCrispo

Has anyone else used this optic?? I recently switched to the 510c from my Cmore slideride. I also played around with the RTS-2 for a bit. Overall I couldnt be happier with the switch. I was having trouble seeing my dot in certain conditions and literally ordered the optic and mount in between bad stages.lol. Recently shot New Mexico Sectionals and Area 4 and received alot of questions and compliments on the new optic. There are so many pros and havent yet found any cons other than its slightly bulky. If you are in the market for a new dot, I highly recommend! Has anyone else used the green 510c elite?23576eca0553c64637be6e1580717a34.jpg2dd65be212dfcdfdeea6d9ef618b2bce.jpg75af3e715d50499dc48c645724ba4595.jpgc459857bd242fd1aeca4065ace5247e2.jpg855c654cf7a72a04ea887cd02401371a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about it, its big yes but compared to the size of the window vs other optics I think its not a huge difference for what your gaining. honestly I think the c-mores slide ride look huge and the window is a decent size but still smaller than the 510c. Another plus would be the 510c uses standard 2032 batterys unlike the c-more and has solar option as well. I haven't actually looked through the 510c to see what the dot looks like and its brightness but if it looks about like a DPP I think I might be sold.

Yes Blake is a good buddy of mine. He is the one who got me interested in the Halosun. Can you believe he runs the full circle and dot!? And he runs it good. I tried it but it was too much going on for me.lol

Someone (Blake Liles I think) had one crap out on him at A4.  

The search for a durable dot goes on...  

I've been thinking about it, its big yes but compared to the size of the window vs other optics I think its not a huge difference for what your gaining. honestly I think the c-mores slide ride look huge and the window is a decent size but still smaller than the 510c. Another plus would be the 510c uses standard 2032 batterys unlike the c-more and has solar option as well. I haven't actually looked through the 510c to see what the dot looks like and its brightness but if it looks about like a DPP I think I might be sold.
Good points. I very much like the window size and the dot is super crisp. I was use to my slideride but after a recent steel match and losing it in the sun a few times I had to order it mid match.lol. you'll love the dot! In my opinion

I'm sorry I don't have a side by side anymore. I must have deleted it. I do have a pic of the dot through the glass. The pic doesnt do it much justice as I'm sure you know it's always better in person. I can definitely say that the Holosun sits considerably lower that the cmore as far as height over bore. Pic belowbe5d3065d0c3faf7fcdfabaf753393b3.jpg

This looks super interesting to me. Do you have any pics down the sight or comparisons to your previous set up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm sorry I don't have a side by side anymore. I must have deleted it. I do have a pic of the dot through the glass. The pic doesnt do it much justice as I'm sure you know it's always better in person. I can definitely say that the Holosun sits considerably lower that the cmore as far as height over bore. Pic below20953b96345942bd12ec082c1a6847b4.jpg

12 hours ago, EddieCrispo said:

Ohh nice setup man. I'm digging the color scheme. Have you tried the green 510c elite? I'm stuck on the red myself.

I have not tried the green.  I did try a green microdot once and wasn't a fan. 

Interested in trying one of these out.  Any idea as to what mount options are out there for the 2011 platform?
Still waiting on mine from Limcat as they are making them now. But Tevo sports makes them in one-sided and double sided black or silver

Bobby> It was great shooting with you this past weekend at the Area 4 match. Your new 510C setup seemed to be working great from what I seen.

I have actually been testing out the 510C on my Open gun with the Tevo Sports mount. So far I have tried the single and double sided mounts. The single sided mount produced a a strange dot tracking movement while shooting. Its hard to describe the dot movement exactly but it looked like an upside down "T" while shooting fast. The dot never left the glass while I shot, it just had a strange movement pattern. I suspected this was due to a little bit of flex in the mount during recoil because of the overall heavier weight of the sight verses my other Delta Point Pro setup. I swapped the single sided mount for the Tevo Sports double sided mount and it completely solved the strange dot tracking movement. Now the dot tracks straight up/down in a very predictable streak. Given the size and weight of the 510C compared to other red dots, I think a double sided mount is required to produce consistent dot tracking. That is at least for shooter who grip the gun effectively enough to keep the dot within the glass at all times while shooting. The shooters who allow their gun to muzzle flip excessively are probably not going to even notice a difference between a single or double sided mount because the dot is completely leaving the glass anyway while the gun is flopping around like a trout within their hands. That sounds harsh, but it is what it is. 

The second thing that I noticed with the 510C vs the Delta Point Pro is that the magnitude of up/down dot movement within the glass during recoil is almost identical. This confused me at first because the glass on the 510C is way larger than the DPP. But then I compared the glass mounting position between the two sights and their mounts. The DPP with a Cheely single sided mount is almost an inch further back than the 510C with the Tevo Sports mount. Since the 510C is further forward the same amount of muzzle flip will translate to more dot movement within the glass. Both setups produce a dot tracking movement that stays within the glass while I shoot it, so its not distracting. I just expected the magnitude of up/down dot movement to be less with the 510C due to the larger glass size.

The primary advantage that I noticed with the 510C + Tevo Sports mount is that the much larger glass was WAY more forgiving when it came to presenting the gun on target one handed (Strong or Weak Hand). I can punch the gun out one handed in a less than optimal presentation and the dot is still somewhere within the glass. This doesn't happen with the DPP setup due to its smaller glass. If your gun handling and presentation mechanics are not solid with the smaller glass sights then the dot will NOT be in the glass when you punch the gun out which leads to the dreaded wrist wiggle trying to find the dot. This in itself isn't a huge advantage as the proper gun handling mechanics should result in the dot being centered in the glass at all times when the gun is in between your face and the target. You simply have a little more leeway with the bigger glass on the 510C.

The biggest challenge I see with the 510C is its overall length causing the back end to be in the way of ejected brass. I am on my second round of Extractor/Ejector tuning and still have inconsistent brass ejection trajectory on my gun. A big part of this is due to me using 9mm Major which produces inconsistent ejection as it is. But I have experienced a few jams where the brass hits the under side of the sight (Back right corner on the under side of the sight) then gets caught between the top of the slide and the under side of the sight. You need the brass to eject consistently at the 2 - 3 O'clock trajectory for it to clear the under side of the sight and not cause ejection issues. This is likely not an issue with .38 Super/Super Comp guns as its much easier to produce a consistent ejection trajectory verses 9mm Major. I am going to try tuning my ejector and extractor a few more times before giving up on it. But right now that is the primary issue I am facing with the 510C + Tevo Double Sided mount setup.  

As for Green vs Red Dot 510C, I shot a PCC with the Green dot and to me, its not an advantage or disadvantage on brown cardboard targets. To me, the Green Dot is a significant disadvantage on White steel. The Green dot washes out on white steal really bad for me where as the Red dot gets more pronounced. The thing I didn't get to test is the sun glare resistance between the two colors, but I suspect that green would be at a disadvantage in that scenario as well.

That being said, everyone's eyes process colors a little differently so what does or doesn't work for me may work perfectly for you. All you can do is throw down the $$$ and test out both to see which one works the best for YOU.

As for Green vs Red Dot 510C, I shot a PCC with the Green dot and to me, its not an advantage or disadvantage on brown cardboard targets. To me, the Green Dot is a significant disadvantage on White steel. The Green dot washes out on white steal really bad for me where as the Red dot gets more pronounced. The thing I didn't get to test is the sun glare resistance between the two colors, but I suspect that green would be at a disadvantage in that scenario as well.

That being said, everyone's eyes process colors a little differently so what does or doesn't work for me may work perfectly for you. All you can do is throw down the $$$ and test out both to see which one works the best for YOU.
That seems about right. I was thinking that I would have issues on steel targets. I have become so use to the red overall it probably wouldn't make sense for me to change now and get use to a whole new setup. You shot well as usual this past weekend and I continue to learn from you even after your class. I remember in your class you told me that I have a habit of getting into a wide aggressive stance and it hurts my movement/exits and I am finding that even after working on it it's still something that happens every now and again. Thanks again for the tips this weekend! Will see you on the range again soon I'm sure.

3 hours ago, EddieCrispo said:

Do you have any issues at all on white steel?

Not so far. I have a red 510C too. On freshly painted glossy white steel in direct sunlight I have found they all (RTS2 DPP slide ride Eotech red green whatever) wash out to an extent but are still visible... 

Maybe aimpoint T1/H1 is the only one that can over come looking directly at white steel or even the sun maybe

20 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Bobby> It was great shooting with you this past weekend at the Area 4 match. Your new 510C setup seemed to be working great from what I seen.

I have actually been testing out the 510C on my Open gun with the Tevo Sports mount. So far I have tried the single and double sided mounts. The single sided mount produced a a strange dot tracking movement while shooting. Its hard to describe the dot movement exactly but it looked like an upside down "T" while shooting fast. The dot never left the glass while I shot, it just had a strange movement pattern. I suspected this was due to a little bit of flex in the mount during recoil because of the overall heavier weight of the sight verses my other Delta Point Pro setup. I swapped the single sided mount for the Tevo Sports double sided mount and it completely solved the strange dot tracking movement. Now the dot tracks straight up/down in a very predictable streak. Given the size and weight of the 510C compared to other red dots, I think a double sided mount is required to produce consistent dot tracking. That is at least for shooter who grip the gun effectively enough to keep the dot within the glass at all times while shooting. The shooters who allow their gun to muzzle flip excessively are probably not going to even notice a difference between a single or double sided mount because the dot is completely leaving the glass anyway while the gun is flopping around like a trout within their hands. That sounds harsh, but it is what it is. 

The second thing that I noticed with the 510C vs the Delta Point Pro is that the magnitude of up/down dot movement within the glass during recoil is almost identical. This confused me at first because the glass on the 510C is way larger than the DPP. But then I compared the glass mounting position between the two sights and their mounts. The DPP with a Cheely single sided mount is almost an inch further back than the 510C with the Tevo Sports mount. Since the 510C is further forward the same amount of muzzle flip will translate to more dot movement within the glass. Both setups produce a dot tracking movement that stays within the glass while I shoot it, so its not distracting. I just expected the magnitude of up/down dot movement to be less with the 510C due to the larger glass size.

The primary advantage that I noticed with the 510C + Tevo Sports mount is that the much larger glass was WAY more forgiving when it came to presenting the gun on target one handed (Strong or Weak Hand). I can punch the gun out one handed in a less than optimal presentation and the dot is still somewhere within the glass. This doesn't happen with the DPP setup due to its smaller glass. If your gun handling and presentation mechanics are not solid with the smaller glass sights then the dot will NOT be in the glass when you punch the gun out which leads to the dreaded wrist wiggle trying to find the dot. This in itself isn't a huge advantage as the proper gun handling mechanics should result in the dot being centered in the glass at all times when the gun is in between your face and the target. You simply have a little more leeway with the bigger glass on the 510C.

The biggest challenge I see with the 510C is its overall length causing the back end to be in the way of ejected brass. I am on my second round of Extractor/Ejector tuning and still have inconsistent brass ejection trajectory on my gun. A big part of this is due to me using 9mm Major which produces inconsistent ejection as it is. But I have experienced a few jams where the brass hits the under side of the sight (Back right corner on the under side of the sight) then gets caught between the top of the slide and the under side of the sight. You need the brass to eject consistently at the 2 - 3 O'clock trajectory for it to clear the under side of the sight and not cause ejection issues. This is likely not an issue with .38 Super/Super Comp guns as its much easier to produce a consistent ejection trajectory verses 9mm Major. I am going to try tuning my ejector and extractor a few more times before giving up on it. But right now that is the primary issue I am facing with the 510C + Tevo Double Sided mount setup.  

I would like to see a mount with a blast shield.....My gun makes a mess of glass even with a shield. I can't imagine what it would be like without it.

Does anyone else notice a difference in dot tracking with a single sided mount?  I found that REALLY interesting.

I would like to see a mount with a blast shield.....My gun makes a mess of glass even with a shield. I can't imagine what it would be like without it.

Does anyone else notice a difference in dot tracking with a single sided mount?  I found that REALLY interesting.
So far I only know of the TEvo mount with no blast shield. If my limcat mount comes in with a blast shield I will be sure to take a pic and post to this comment. I luckily haven't had any issues with smoking out my glass with Silhouette. I had some old HS-6 loads that I shot to retrieve the brass and that did gunk up my glass a bit.