Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Does the Stoeger m3000 Compare to the Benelli M1s90??

Nalapombu

Hey all. 

I have 2 questions if like to get some info on.  I have a Benell I M1 Super90 with a 21" vent rub barrel and a + 4 Nordic mag extension on it.  I've only out about 200 rounds thru it since turning it into a Home Defense of 3-gun type shotgun.  I haven't shot more cause none of the ranges here in the Houston area will allow me to shoot it unless I shoot ONLY SLUGS.  No practice ammo shooting sessions here so I'm pretty much screwed on the shooting until I find a friendly range.

The only complaint I have is that the recoil can be really painful at times even with the 100 round practice ammo boxes.  I have heard the Limbsaver fitted butt pads work well.  Have any of you tried one of these pads?  I'd like to get some recommendations on what the best solution for me to make this shotgun somewhat enjoyable to shoot would be please  

Lastly, I know many really like the Stoeger M3000 shotguns for 3-gun and home defense type duty.  I've never handled one.  How do you think they compare or match up to my M1 Super 90 as I have it now?  Which would you rather have and why?

Since Stoeger is owned by Benelli I am guessing it has the inertia operating system in them like the Benelli autos do.  Is it the same system or are there differences?

Thank you for your time and any help or advice you care to give me.  Have a good weekend everyone. 

BD

The Stoeger M3000 action does look a lot like the Benelli action (  https://www.stoegerindustries.com/m3000-shotgun  /  http://modernfirearms.net/en/shotguns/italy-shotguns/benelli-m1-eng/  )

Benelli is a favorite brand in the IPSC Shotgun world. They work, they last long, and spare or tuning parts are plentiful. I cannot comment on how Stoeger does.

My M1 doesn't seem to like the lightest skeet and trap loads - or it could be me, in combination with the inertia system. Slugs generally seem to kick more than shot loads - unless you really want to go for Magnum loads.

The M1 is a better quality shotgun, although the M3000 is certainly not junk. The inertia system is similar, the difference being the recoil spring assembly is in the buttstock on the Benelli and under the forend around the magazine tube in the Stoeger. When I shot an M1 I used a Limbsaver Airtech recoil pad and a foam stick on cheek piece. With that setup it shot softer than my M2 with the comfortech stock. The only thing I didn’t like about the Airtech is that it is very sticky / grippy and gets caught on your shirt easily. I mitigated that by wrapping it in electrical tape. Looked crappy but worked well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well listen to Mr Fancy Pants, how about a little hot chocolate for ya ?? ?

Benelli's never break..... but when they do and you ask an Italian Benelli rep to fix it they say they never break, if its broken its just your fault...... but if they do break (which they never do according to the Rep...) .... the fault is just that you Americans just go and shoot them too much......  

First ever IPSC European Shotgun Championships in Italy 2003

Kurt Miller 3rd overall

Good times !

• 2 weeks later...

The Stoeger M3K is a very good gun for the money IMO. It is certainly no Benelli, I don't know how anyone could take that position. You can just feel the quality when a Benelli is in your hands and you run the bolt by hand. Smooth as butter.