Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Encounter With The Texas Star

Jerry V

On Sunday it took me 18 shots to hit five plates on the star and three small poppers. The worst part is, I KNOW how to shoot the d*mn thing the right way. Ours comes to rest with one plate at 11 o'clock, so the best way to shoot it is to hit that plate first, then move your aim counterclockwise and let the wheel bring each successive plate in front of your sights.

Last month I shot it all wrong, moving clockwise, and swore I would do it right the next time. I reminded myself to go counterclockwise right before stepping up to the line Sunday. Then I proceed to shoot it the wrong way again.

I've noticed that skeet and sporting clays shooters and bird hunters seem to do comparatively well on Texas Stars and various other moving targets, because they have been conditioned to incorporate the necessary lead.

I've also noticed that the worst shooters on moving targets are those young dudes who initially learned to shoot on video games, where the lead is completely factored out.

The only time I've ever really tore up a Texas star stage is when we got to use a shotgun on one at 3-gun nationals last year.

They are not so intimidating after you've shot them once or twice with a handgun. Even a six-shooter. Although, I've never NOT reloaded while shooting a revolver at one of those buggers.

Mike,

Interesting point ....

Except no video games, I'm not that young -- 43

Dad was a dedicated bird hunter and got my brothers & I started young

But... since all my bird hunting the last 3 yrs has been grouse with a recurve that might explain it --- I'm leading too much, since arrows are a lot slower than shot. Guess I need to knock the dust off the 870 and go shoot some trap :rolleyes: Thanks

Keith,

I know I shouldn't have reloaded and wasted so much time. But Dan as my witness, I just wanted to kill that thing and I did ..... finally :D

That you did Jerry !!!!

Walking away from it with a few remaining, dosen't teach you how to shoot them.

If a match is the only place you see one of those you might as well get some practice !!!!!

Shooting them static can be an advantage also if you have a chance to watch the other shooters first and get the spin timed just right.

I finished it with the first shot after a reload. Thats par-for-the-course for me.

I dont ever recall cleaning any steel array.

trivia} IFSAS = ?

Dan

I am not that good, But I have shot the Star a few times. With my open Revo I don't let the star move much and it does not usually do a revolution. Depending on the star and where the plates are, if you take the top ceneter most plate the star does not move as the balance is not disturbed. Then the two top ones left and right leaving the bottom two which may rock a little, then when one is knocked off the other will swing downwards. Of what little I know it is that on the star, as on all steel, needing more than one shot per is devasting. Accuracy + Smoothness = Speed. So much for the math. On the stock Revo I am slower but still go for the accuaracy part. later rdd

After some...ammunition checking (certainly not practice, which is unsurprising giving my lackluster performance)...prior to the Nationals, I dug out my 454 Casull for some Texas Star runs.

While 260 grain jacketed soft points at 1,805 fps (459.3 power factor!) take plates of with authority, I discovered that a four-power scope at 20 yards (even a Leupold) is not the correct optic for a Star.

No point, just sayin'...

:)

Alex

I've noticed that skeet and sporting clays shooters and bird hunters seem to do comparatively well on Texas Stars and various other moving targets, because they have been conditioned to incorporate the necessary lead.     

I've also noticed that the worst shooters on moving targets are those young dudes who initially learned to shoot on video games, where the lead is completely factored out.

i'm new to this forum but i shot with you at the nats and i agree with you 100% i learned to shoot with no lead and the swingers and propellers threw me for a loop. I think i should lead=ambush the target but just could not pull the trigger with confidence as the picture did not seem right. :(

Mike,

Interesting point ....

Except no video games, I'm not that young -- 43

Dad was a dedicated bird hunter and got my brothers & I started young

But... since all my bird hunting the last 3 yrs has been grouse with a recurve that might explain it --- I'm leading too much, since arrows are a lot slower than shot. Guess I need to knock the dust off the 870 and go shoot some trap :rolleyes:  Thanks

Keith,

I know I shouldn't have reloaded and wasted so much time. But Dan as my witness,  I just wanted to kill that thing and I did ..... finally :D

It just doesn't feel right to leave a piece of steel standing, does it? I left a couple of little poppers standing at Area 3 this year that were way, way out there, and it came back to bite me in the ass. I do not PLAN on letting that happen again. :D

And I did not mean to imply that stars are easy with a wheelgun. Far from it. Everybody seems so worried about them before their first time and then afterwords it's like, "is that all there is to it? Let me back at that sucker!"

To Dan's credit, he explained to me how to shoot it and what would happen if I didn't do it right and had every intention of doing so. But as what happens when the heart's pumping fast and vision goes into tunnel mode, plans & intentions are forgotten. When I got to the "star" (last target on the stage), I made the mistake of squeezing the trigger on the first plate my front sight found: 9 o'clock plate and realized the mistake as the "star" started to spin at warp speed. In all honesty, in don't know the actual round count, but I still had one plate left that I had winged and was flopping around on one pin when I dropped in my last moon in and pulled the trigger as fast as I could and dropped the wounded critter.... finally. When that happened, I heard laughter behind me I assumed they were laughing with me because I thought it quite humerous ... but it could have been at me also ... which was it Dan? Oh well doesn't matter, it was fun.

Being a rookie, do apprecient everyone's advice, it is helpful -- Thanks

Note to Walt: I found out Sun. our club just bought one of these, so we'll be getting a lot of practice ..... cool uh B)

Jerry

Our club bought one of these from Terry and Linda Asheton back in June, I have shot some of them before but after reading this yesterday I went and made a few runs on it.

I decided to make it more interesting, shot it at 25 yds.

5.56 was the best run, most were in the low 6 second range (when I only needed 6 shots or less)

Stars, like other steel are mostly hard only because we make it hard in our heads. ;)

Jerry, Have fun with the star you will figure it out as a very easy target. :)

Hopalong

Our club has two of them and we shoot at least one every match. Its really not much of a problem once you have shot it a few times. Its kind of funny now to watch someone who has never shot one even when you tell them exactly how to shoot it the intimidation factor really messes them up.

Not with a revolver, but here's me against a Texas Star today. It jumped out of the way on the first couple shots! :lol: It's probably the fourth time I've shot one of these sadistic things and I just started shooting in matches a couple months ago, so I'm SLOWWWW! :rolleyes: A bunch of folks wanted to shoot production today, so this was with the Glock. I haven't got up the nerve to take the 625 revolver to a match yet! :unsure:

Texas Star video clip (Windows Media format)

I never had any trouble with the star until shooting it today for the local television network sports program. I suppose the camera added a little performance anxiety and caused two extra shots. Also needed 7 to shoot 6 stationary plates, but after editing, it looked like the marketing guy for the station had a clean run on it! Long live the Texas star!