Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will a G19 slide work on a G23?

Ken6PPC

I have a G23 Gen 4 that I rarely shoot, and I want to try CO.  I prefer 9mm, and was thinking of buying an aftermarket slide that is milled for an optic.  

My question is, what problems will I have if I buy a 9mm milled slide for a 19 to run on my G23 lower?  

Is there any problems ejecting 9mm's from a 40 frame?  I know the ejector is shaped a little differently.  

I know I could just buy a MOS, and I may go that route if there are a lot problems adapting to a 9mm slide.  

I welcome your thoughts, opinions, and experiences, and thank you in advance!   

You should have no issues.  Unless you see an issue with ejection I would not even change the ejector from the G23 frame.  But depending on the types of deals you can find it can sometimes cost close to

what another firearm would cost.  Either way grab some 9mm mags, some extensions and rock and roll.

• 4 months later...

A complete slide will cost you nearly as much as a new gun.  I would just buy a conversion barrel.  I have a 9mm conversion from lone wolf that I just use for plinking around.  I also have a conversion barrel for a 27 that I bought from KKM...but I also changed out all of the internals to be 9mm since I use it as a carry gun and want it to be 100%.  Neither have ever failed to date though.

Update:  I bought a Venom red dot sight, a Gen 3 model 19 milled slide and barrel from Midway, a Gen 3 to Gen 4 adapter plate for the recoil shield, and a Gen 3 recoil spring.  Installed it on my G23 Gen4 frame, and it worked pretty well.  I did have erratic ejection issues, sometimes taking a case to the face, until I changed the ejector from a 23 to a 19.  That improved the ejection pattern.  

All is working well now, and I have about the same $ in the new slide and red dot sight as I would have put into a new pistol, not including the red dot.  I am happy with it.  

Technically it is because you have changed the caliber from a .40 S&W to a 9x19 which is not the “original” caliber of the firearm as manufacturered.  You are gonna be hard pressed for anyone to challenge that though so in reality you will probably be just fine.  But yes according to the rules you can not take one firearm and change its caliber for use in Production/CO division as it was not “manufactured originally” as that caliber. 

Just now, dskinsler83 said:

Technically it is because you have changed the caliber from a .40 S&W to a 9x19 which is not the “original” caliber of the firearm as manufacturered.  You are gonna be hard pressed for anyone to challenge that though so in reality you will probably be just fine.  But yes according to the rules you can not take one firearm and change its caliber for use in Production/CO division as it was not “manufactured originally” as that caliber. 

Just another rule that makes zero sense. 

3 hours ago, HCH said:

Just another rule that makes zero sense. 

Yeah this is a dumb rule. I really expected it to be changed with the 2019 update but it’s still there.  

4 hours ago, Kixx said:

Yeah this is a dumb rule. I really expected it to be changed with the 2019 update but it’s still there.  

I was hoping for an update as well. Maybe if we all email NROI we can get it changed...

He changed the slide and the frames are the same so he has the correct caliber for that slide . The issue with same Caliber has to do with 40 slide    To 9 barrel which give you a bull barrel  effect. The frames are the same so nobody would ever know. 

Edited by HoMiE

1 minute ago, HoMiE said:

He changed the slide and the frames are the same so he has the correct caliber for that slide . The issue with same Caliber we has to do with 40 slide    To 9 barrel which give you a bull barrel  effect. The frames are the same so nobody would ever know. 

The rule says the caliber must be the same as the original slide for that model. 

As for that last bit, just because nobody would ever know doesn’t mean it’s not against the rules. 

19 minutes ago, Kixx said:

The rule says the caliber must be the same as the original slide for that model. 

As for that last bit, just because nobody would ever know doesn’t mean it’s not against the rules. 

He purchased a completely new 9 slide and 9 barrel, that is the model. The frame is irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, HoMiE said:

He purchased a completely new 9 slide and 9 barrel, that is the model. The frame is irrelevant. 

Wouldn't frame serial # show up as a 40 caliber, making the swap illegal for Co and production?   Not that any is ever going to check or really care, but...

11 minutes ago, RJH said:

Wouldn't frame serial # show up as a 40 caliber, making the swap illegal for Co and production?   Not that any is ever going to check or really care, but...

The rulings in the past have let the frame from one approved gun go on the slide of another approved gun. The issue that everybody threw a fit about was the conversion barrels calling it a “bull barrel” and therefore a competitor advantage. Today with bull barrel options in the X5 and CZ bull Shadow, and the constant emails to NROI and the ability to regulate all the possible combinations ofgun parts, the OP is ok since he used an approved frame and a approved slide.

thats how the CZ shadow came about using the frame from one variant so why would it be different for a glock which the frame from the models he is using is identical?

Edited by HoMiE

2 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

I think I will start to worry about this when I think I am getting close to winning the Nationals...  😁

No need to worry, you are within the rules and rulings that have been dished out.

3 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

The rulings in the past have let the frame from one approved gun go on the slide of another approved gun. The issue that everybody threw a fit about was the conversion barrels calling it a “bull barrel” and therefore a competitor advantage. Today with bull barrel options in the X5 and CZ bull Shadow, and the constant emails to NROI and the ability to regulate all the possible combinations ofgun parts, the OP is ok since he used an approved frame and a approved slide.

thats how the CZ shadow came about using the frame from one variant so why would it be different for a glock which the frame from the models he is using is identical?

Cool, thanks for clarifying 

I bet if you email NROI they’d say you are good. I would even say they don’t care about the once forbidden colored frames of G17 being put on G34 slides that some people at Area or sectional got bumped to Open because glock never made a green or FDE framed G34. 

5 hours ago, HoMiE said:

The rulings in the past have let the frame from one approved gun go on the slide of another approved gun. The issue that everybody threw a fit about was the conversion barrels calling it a “bull barrel” and therefore a competitor advantage.

According to USPSA, all past rulings have been rolled into the 2019 rule book.  All I see that addresses this is Appendix D7 21.3:  "You may replace the slide with an OFM or aftermarket slide of the same length, contour and caliber as the original slide for that model of gun."  That model of gun is a Glock 23.  Throwing a Glock 19 slide/barrel on it does not magically turn it into a Glock 19.  

Again, this rule is dumb and needs changed.  I understand it stemmed from the conversion barrel issue and shouldn't matter anymore.  However, the rules pretty clearly state you cannot change the caliber of your gun.  If you can find something in the rule book that says otherwise, please provide it.  If someone wants to play the "its not against the rules if nobody finds out" game, that's their deal.  I'm not about that.

Emailing DNROI may very well get it changed.  They've "adjusted" bigger things before..

Edited by Kixx