Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clear Primer Pickup or filler Tube

When using an automated primer tube filler, any primers that get in upside down, would not be noticed until set in the brass. Of course a clear primer filler (pickup tube) would allow an inspection prior to loading into the primer feed system. So I am wondering if anybody has tried this or if they are available to purchase or make.

17 minutes ago, OneEyedSam said:

When using an automated primer tube filler, any primers that get in upside down, would not be noticed until set in the brass. Of course a clear primer filler (pickup tube) would allow an inspection prior to loading into the primer feed system. So I am wondering if anybody has tried this or if they are available to purchase or make.

I suspect the reason why this would not work is safety. If one primer were to ignite, you would want the reinforced aluminum to protect you from a massive chain reaction. Better to have the intact primers fly out the top of the tube instead of them all going like detonation cord. 

Edited by Nevadazielmeister
Spelling.. awlays

this post was made by a guy who got fragged by a metal pickup tube. The pictures are gone but I recall it was a tad graphic. I am guessing shards of plastic would not be much more pleasant. The plastic tube could be possibly static-prone also.

I agree that the clear primer tubes would not contain a primer explosion and that they are prone to static electricity. The use of these clear primer tubes would to pick them up from the flip tray or to fill them using the RF100 or the Franklin vibrating primer feed, not to use them in the press. I am sure that the static electricity can be minimized by passing a dryer sheet through them just like others use the dryer sheets in the powder hopper. I have never heard of a primer detonation outside of the press primer feed system.

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned in one of the posts higher up, they used to have them available w a brass tip. A month or two back I was trying to track down the same thing. Not for regular use but just for the occasional checking after adjusting or changing primer types on the auto-filler. I tried about 3 different types of translucent tubing but none of them fitted just right and eventually I gave up. 

Edited by PhillySoldier

Shouldn't need a clear tube. Just adjust the rf100 properly so it doesn't flip primers and you should be golden. Once the RF is set right and you don't see any primers flip as the enter the top of the tube, they cannot flip while in the tube. The only other place they can flip is while in the 650s primer wheel or at the primer punch, and the main cause of flipped primers here is the shell plate not being tight enough against the primer wheel.

Also, I doubt static electricity is an issue. In my quest to make an alarm for the primer wheel not indexing , I connected a 9volt battery directly to a live primer and it did nothing to the primer but pass the current through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

Shouldn't need a clear tube. Just adjust the rf100 properly so it doesn't flip primers and you should be golden. Once the RF is set right and you don't see any primers flip as the enter the top of the tube, they cannot flip while in the tube. The only other place they can flip is while in the 650s primer wheel or at the primer punch, and the main cause of flipped primers here is the shell plate not being tight enough against the primer wheel.

I agree!  I use the Vibra prime and once the tray is closed, it doesn't allow the primers to flip.