Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match video Open A, request for feedback

Janskis

Hey all, it's been a while since I last posted my match video (2 years pretty much) and there's been a lot of development.

This time I was a bit feverish and thus neither my brain nor my body were at 100% but I still went to the match. I had huge troubles finding the dot and made the mistake of shooting without it, resulting a few misses. Also got the first two malfunctions this year, last were in 2017 september. This time most likely due to a dirty mag since I didn't clean it after dropping it during the previous stage.

Movement seems mostly solid to me, stage plans should be kinda ok except for a few tough ones. But is there something fundamentally wrong still? Or am I just going to have to start shooting a LOT of boring drills and honing my techniques to reach the next level?

Also, I went too fast on the second popper on stage 2 resulting in a hurry for the second swinger.

Edited by Janskis

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

WOW !    Way out of my league (I'm a poor B).

Love the way you resisted the temptation, most of the time,

NOT to stick your gun into windows.

Very fast and smooth     :cheers:

Thank you for your kind words! I'm a strong A and aiming to M in the Finnish ranking (83.59%, limit for M is 90%)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You shoot very upright and seem to stagger into some positions. You should lower your center of gravity by bending your knees and leaning forward at the waist. You appear to be leaning backwards with your knees bent, which makes it slower to explode into certain movements etc.

Also it looks like you are eating up a ton of charlies on some of those stages, even shooting major pf you still need better points to some extent. 

On 10/5/2018 at 2:50 PM, abb1 said:

Overall, very good runs! I liked that you took advantage of shooting on the move where ever you could. Keep up the good work, M is right around the corner :) 

Thanks! My biggest advantage is shooting on the move so I try to utilize it as much as I can, sometimes too much...

On 10/23/2018 at 7:50 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Your gun is on target long before you actually shoot. You need to dig into what is causing this delay. Could be focusing on the wrong thing, not prepping the trigger, or several other things.

Main reason is me losing the dot, especially during this match. The excessive dot loss in this match was due to being a bit ill but I do have the same problem even when I'm ok. I got a great tip for transition dryfire training and will start that as soon as my left wrist heals (tore a ligament a month or so ago). I think I'm losing the dot because I haven't really trained transitions properly.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:58 PM, Prov1x said:

You shoot very upright and seem to stagger into some positions. You should lower your center of gravity by bending your knees and leaning forward at the waist. You appear to be leaning backwards with your knees bent, which makes it slower to explode into certain movements etc.

Also it looks like you are eating up a ton of charlies on some of those stages, even shooting major pf you still need better points to some extent. 

Good point! I haven't had to consider the upright position too much since open pistols don't really recoil... I've kinda seen it before but now that you mention it I really notice it, especially on stage 2. I try to teach the stance Travis Haley explains in one of his videos, but I seem to forget it myself as soon as I'm doing something else than training static drills. I'll try to remember to keep my center of gravity low!

My A-percentage has declined a lot after switching to major, gonna have to try and focus a bit more :)

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 6:47 PM, MrPan said:

Looks like you really need to drive the gun as fast as you can between the targets. I think you could save alot of time with that low hanging fruit.

Thanks for the tip! I got a great drill tip from a reddit user and I have also been doing the Blake drill for a while now. I have noticed a huge improvement in transitions. Still a lot of workto do though!

2 hours ago, Janskis said:

Thanks for the tip! I got a great drill tip from a reddit user and I have also been doing the Blake drill for a while now. I have noticed a huge improvement in transitions. Still a lot of workto do though!

Care to share the drill? Also what Reddit group, I haven't found many worth hanging out in so far.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 10:46 PM, MrPan said:

No worries bro keep up the good work!

Try the jerry michalek drill.

5 targets start in the middle fire 1 on each side going back to the middle each time. 

I've tried to stay away from this one as it seems to eat up ammo a lot, but I'll be sure to try it!

On 1/13/2019 at 12:24 AM, Chili said:

Care to share the drill? Also what Reddit group, I haven't found many worth hanging out in so far.

Courtesy of redditor g00n24 :

Set up four targets, at least 20-25 degrees apart, distance can vary. Draw on either end, shoot it, transition to the next, return to first, transition to next etc. Basically you shoot in order 1-2-1-3-1-4-1. He originally meant this to be a dry fire drill, but I've found it works GREAT with static poppers using only one shot per target. Keeps the cost low and the drill still efficient. I have also been shooting this with a .22 and it does not impact the efficiency of the drill at all.

The subreddit in question is competitionshooting. Great posters there although it is quite quiet...

1 hour ago, Janskis said:

I've tried to stay away from this one as it seems to eat up ammo a lot, but I'll be sure to try it!

Courtesy of redditor g00n24 :

Set up four targets, at least 20-25 degrees apart, distance can vary. Draw on either end, shoot it, transition to the next, return to first, transition to next etc. Basically you shoot in order 1-2-1-3-1-4-1. He originally meant this to be a dry fire drill, but I've found it works GREAT with static poppers using only one shot per target. Keeps the cost low and the drill still efficient. I have also been shooting this with a .22 and it does not impact the efficiency of the drill at all.

The subreddit in question is competitionshooting. Great posters there although it is quite quiet...

Just shoot 1 round per target