Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to multigun

reballz

I’ve shot uspsa for about 6 years. In that time, I’ve shot 2 3gun matches with borrowed gear. I’m thinking next year will be more dedicated to multigun. I’m cover with my rifle and pistol I think, but I don’t have a shotgun. What is the shotgun to get and why? Please don’t just say “versamax” or “m2”. I want to know some features and benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benelli M2. My son & his daughter both run them. Most of the serious shooters run them. Thousands of rounds, no issues. Easy to dual or quad load. Simple operating system. Open the loading port, put in a TTI spring kit and lifter, Nordic ext. tube,  and you are good to go. Shoot pretty much any loads. They run AA 1145 in matches. Recoil is minimal, not as soft as some gas guns, but the reliability absolutely makes up for it.

That is the key to 3-gun. 3-guns that work.

gerritm

i have had both the versamax and now the M2.  I think there are cons and benefits to both.  The versamax is heavier than the m2 but the felt recoil in my opinion was slightly less.  Im glad i made the switch though.  You can open the port up on both add some extras and both will eat the ammo.  Cabelas has a light target round that is 1060 fps and my m2 will shoot it with no hiccups.  

The Stoeger M3K is a great entry level 3 gun shotgun - I got mine delivered to my FFL for $550.  Just add an extension tube and you're good to go.  At my local matches, out of 80+ people, I'd bet there's at least 30 with the M3K.  It's an inertia gun like the M2, and very reliable.

If you have the funds, and really want to dive in, I'd go with the M2.

That said, I love my m3k

Exactly what Snausages said.

At the risk of oversimplifying, the Benelli M2 is the 2011 of action shotgun. In USPSA Limited and Open, there are tons of valid options, but everyone and their dog shoots a 2011. And similar to the 2011, it seems to me that some of that is due to the inherent quality of the platform (high quality fit and finish, reliability of the inertia-driven operating system, etc.), and some of that is due to the wide aftermarket support that comes with being the de facto standard. EVERY shop that does custom shotgun work will work on an M2, and there are tons of competition-oriented parts and accessories available.

The Versamax has something of a following as well - my understanding is that gas-operated shotguns are typically a shade less reliable than an inertia gun, but the self-regulating system of the Versamax seems to work better than most. Aftermarket support isn't quite what it is for the M2, but there are still plenty of options out there. Anecdotally, the only failure of a Versamax I've ever witnessed was due more to the latter factor than the former - the gun spontaneously disassembled itself because the magazine extension wasn't threaded on correctly.

So, tl;dr: M2 has the pros of an inertia system (reliable, generally requires less maintenance), build quality, and aftermarket support; cons would be that recoil will be a little worse, as it always is with inertia guns, and the expense. By comparison, a Versamax will shoot a little softer, and is a bit cheaper, but it'll require more maintenance/cleaning to work reliably and it won't have as much aftermarket support.

If you don't want to jump in with both feet, then situation is vastly simplified. There are quite a few relatively high-quality entry-level inertia guns (like the Stoeger M3k and the Franchi Affinity), but most of the gas guns below the Versamax's level aren't that great.

I shoot a custom remington tactical 1100 22" and chokes w/+5 tube run 100% Benelle s are great gun for sure but watching them on the firing line way to many buttons to push to get them ready. My 1100 rack the bolt and I am good to go... Just saying.

Doesn't matter at all, your tube will end up longer. Buy whatever length you find a deal on.

How long of a tube can I run in tacops?

As long as you want, just have to start a stage with 9 in the gun. After the beep you have a lot more options for loading plans with at least a 12 round tube.

Got it. Thanks.

You might want to check the rules for where you plan on competing. My local matches use UML rules, and the only difference between limited and tac-ops is the rifle optic vs rifle scope.  Factory allows a max of 8, but in UML "limited" allows for whatever length tube you want.

Also, my place doesn't have shots beyond 100 yards... no need for some fancy expensive scope for that.

You might want to check the rules for where you plan on competing. My local matches use UML rules, and the only difference between limited and tac-ops is the rifle optic vs rifle scope.  Factory allows a max of 8, but in UML "limited" allows for whatever length tube you want.

Also, my place doesn't have shots beyond 100 yards... no need for some fancy expensive scope for that.

Sweet thanks. Yeah, I already have a razor hd on my ar so I think I’m ok on Optics.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I pulled the trigger. Taran Tactical had their 4th of July Sale with 12% off a new shotgun. Needless to say I’m counting down the days. [emoji16][emoji16]

1 minute ago, reballz said:

They quote 8-10 weeks.

Not too bad I guess.  If it was going to be super long I was going to suggest contacting Aaron Hayes from Hayes Custom guns.  He is a team Benelli shooter with awesome work on M2's but I do not know his lead time.  The Taran stuff is squared away as well!

Not too bad I guess.  If it was going to be super long I was going to suggest contacting Aaron Hayes from Hayes Custom guns.  He is a team Benelli shooter with awesome work on M2's but I do not know his lead time.  The Taran stuff is squared away as well!

I know a couple of people with Hayes m2’s. They’re pretty nice.