Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 Feed Problem

loaded605

I frequently have issues with rounds not coming from the magazine to be fed. The nose of the bullet isn't even to the feedramp and it will jam. All that is required is a yank on the slide but I can't figure out what's going on.

Running a G35 with TTI +5 basepads.

Recoil spring is stock. Lighter spring caused it to happen more.

Started with the TTI mag springs but thought those might be part of the problem, switched to stock mag springs, doesn't seem to have helped or hurt it.

I've tried an ETS mag 140mm and it fails less than the Glock mags with TTI extensions.

Ammo is handloaded, 5.9gr of CFE Pistol with 180gr blue bullets. (If it matters)

I'm super frustrated after my gun went down a bunch in a match yesterday after working perfect for the first two matches. Not sure what the deal is. Any suggestions welcome.

40 minutes ago, loaded605 said:

I frequently have issues with rounds not coming from the magazine to be fed. The nose of the bullet isn't even to the feedramp and it will jam. All that is required is a yank on the slide but I can't figure out what's going on.

Running a G35 with TTI +5 basepads.

Recoil spring is stock. Lighter spring caused it to happen more.

Started with the TTI mag springs but thought those might be part of the problem, switched to stock mag springs, doesn't seem to have helped or hurt it.

I've tried an ETS mag 140mm and it fails less than the Glock mags with TTI extensions.

Ammo is handloaded, 5.9gr of CFE Pistol with 180gr blue bullets. (If it matters)

I'm super frustrated after my gun went down a bunch in a match yesterday after working perfect for the first two matches. Not sure what the deal is. Any suggestions welcome.

Are your springs for the +5 base pads longer?  Did the TTI base pads come with springs or did you buy TTI springs?  I ask because it's my understanding that the extended base pads need longer/extra power springs. 

Also, what's your OAL on your ammo? Is too long?  It's not a load set up longer for a 2011 is it?..

Also, also, I'd think the stock recoil spring is too much. What guide rod and spring were you running?  I like a Jager and wolf 11# for all my Glocks. Even 40 SW.  First guess I think it's not a spring problem.. the reason it may happen more with the lighter spring is because it's underpowered to correct whatever other problem you have. 

Will it run 100% with stock mags, springs and base pads?  

Edited by B_RAD

5 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Are your springs for the +5 base pads longer?  Did the TTI base pads come with springs or did you buy TTI springs?  I ask because it's my understanding that the extended base pads need longer/extra power springs. 

Also, what's your OAL on your ammo? Is too long?  It's not a load set up longer for a 2011 is it?..

Also, also, I'd think the stock recoil spring is too much. What guide rod and spring were you running?  I like a Jager and wolf 11# for all my Glocks. Even 40 SW.  First guess I think it's not a spring problem.. the reason it may happen more with the lighter spring is because it's underpowered to correct whatever other problem you have. 

Will it run 100% with stock mags, springs and base pads?  

I've tried it with both the TTI springs and the stock mag springs. Happens with both.

OAL is 1.125.

Stock recoil spring. I have tried a 15# spring on a SS guide rod but it happened more often.

Just now, loaded605 said:

I've tried it with both the TTI springs and the stock mag springs. Happens with both.

OAL is 1.125.

Stock recoil spring. I have tried a 15# spring on a SS guide rod but it happened more often.

No, Does it happen with completely stock mag?

You're using load data for Berrys FP off of hodgdons web site. The blue bullet has a longer profile. I think 1.125" could be too short. Your seating the bullet too deep. The Blue is longer so at the same OAL as a shorter bullet, you're seating the base deeper. Might cause over pressure. Probably not but could. 

Also, I'd try running everything in a stock gun, if your 35 isn't completely stock. If you still have issues then I'd say it's your ammo. 

Are you case gauging your reloads?

Edited by B_RAD

38 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

You're using load data for Berrys FP off of hodgdons web site. The blue bullet has a longer profile. I think 1.125" could be too short. Your seating the bullet too deep. The Blue is longer so at the same OAL as a shorter bullet, you're seating the base deeper. Might cause over pressure. Probably not but could. 

Also, I'd try running everything in a stock gun, if your 35 isn't completely stock. If you still have issues then I'd say it's your ammo. 

Are you case gauging your reloads?

Yes, it all passes the gauge.

So I tested some things out. Worst mag crapped out 10 rounds in, it was older. This is a photo. Another mag the same age as this one did the same thing but less.

Stock mag worked fine with no base pad. Never a feed issue and I ran two full mags.

Factory ammo also ran the least reliable mag the without problem. Just Remington 180gr UMC.

Two newer mags worked fine, never nose dived with hand loads.

I forgot to bring the longer mag springs that came with the extensions. I will have to wait until tomorrow to test that. I am also going to pick up a couple of new mags and put the extensions on those to see what happens.

So I think I have an ammo and mag problem.

Would switching to a faster Powder like Titegroup help this or make no difference?

IMG_4531.JPG

Adjust your OAL to 1.130-1.135 some people have been able to run 1.140 as well. You need the longer OAL to

help with feeding.  Also be sure you have your follower edges rolled and smoothed over to allow them to move from the base pad to the magazine without issue.  If factory ammo and factory mags are running fine then adjust the things above and report back. 

Yeah, I think a tad longer OAL may help.

If you have more of the problem ammo, next time you go out and have an issue pull the problem round and keep them separate. Measure the oal and car mouth dimensions. See if there are any wild dimensions. 

First, thanks for all the help. I seem to have ironed out the problem. The solution was a tad unexpected. Ammo was part of it but not most of the problem... I don’t think.

I loaded up 120 rounds of my same load at 1.135. This did feed perfect in all of my mags.

I bought a new mag (wanted 2 more but only one left) and put the base pad on it with the TTI spring. The new mag fed my old 1.125 ammo perfectly. Ran 2 full mags in my G35 and another 20 rds in my dads G22.

Then the quirky part. One of my mags wasn’t locking the slide mag on empty. This was consistent. On inspection the follower was well below the top and appeared caught on something. That’s when I noticed the follower number on top corner of that mag (where it pushes up on slide catch) was a 9 and not a 10 like others. In a mag body that has the number ending in 04. I had never noticed the number before. I compared it to the mag I just bought. The follower number was 10 and the mag ended in 04. Inside the dimensions were different at the top. The 9 follower in the 04 body worked except would not lock the slide. The 10 follower in a 03 body would choke consistently either 8 or 9 rounds in and continue to nose dive. It was crazy.

Matched all followers and mags and they all worked perfect with either batch of ammo. Then put in TTI springs in the other 3 and they all continued to run flawlessly with either ammo.

I am now confident that my random feed problems appeared and disappeared when I accidentally mid matched the followers and bodies. I’m ordering 3 more new mags and should be good. Will keep seating bullets at 1.135 as well. Thanks again y’all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, war_material said:

I used to have this issue with my 35. I use a 24 now and I have had some of the same. Trying a stock recoil spring next time out. Hoping I could stick with blue bullets

It was only a problem with longer extended mags. Stock mags were not a problem. I noticed it happened less with a 13 pound spring. Stock spring happened a little more. 15 pound spring had it happen the most.

Or get copper bullets and it goes away completely. Shot 300+ rounds of Berry's at Great Plains Sectional last weekend and not one occurence, or malfunction of any kind.

55 minutes ago, loaded605 said:

It was only a problem with longer extended mags. Stock mags were not a problem. I noticed it happened less with a 13 pound spring. Stock spring happened a little more. 15 pound spring had it happen the most.

Or get copper bullets and it goes away completely. Shot 300+ rounds of Berry's at Great Plains Sectional last weekend and not one occurence, or malfunction of any kind.

Good to know! I wonder if there is anything I could do to the magazine to get it running smoother. I wanted to make it to that match, had a bunch of friends there from North Dakota here. Looks like it was a good match!

Well I am gonna try and smooth out the inside of a bottom part of the mag maybe that will help? It’s just that I have a bunch of blues that I loaded up. 

Reading my tea leaves but still have a question. Are you using the longer springs designed for the extensions? Using stock mags, with no issues and the new mag with no issues, leads me to think you need stronger springs in extensions.

13 minutes ago, war_material said:

Good to know! I wonder if there is anything I could do to the magazine to get it running smoother. I wanted to make it to that match, had a bunch of friends there from North Dakota here. Looks like it was a good match!

Well I am gonna try and smooth out the inside of a bottom part of the mag maybe that will help? It’s just that I have a bunch of blues that I loaded up. 

I still have about 700 Blue bullets left. I’ll use them for practice but not use in matches. Go ahead and experiment see if you get them to work. If you figure something out I’d like to know. 

GP Section was a fun match. Very well done.

15 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Reading my tea leaves but still have a question. Are you using the longer springs designed for the extensions? Using stock mags, with no issues and the new mag with no issues, leads me to think you need stronger springs in extensions.

I used both longer and stock springs and it didn’t really matter. Happened either way. The best fix was using copper bullets. But round nose bullets might help, less surface area? I think the flat nose combined with coating drug on the inside. Flat nose copper just work. I wish the Blue bullets worked. I like them. Still shoot them in 9mm. 

• 1 month later...

I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure this out myself. Same issue, using 200g blue bullets.  I took my mags apart and cleaned them and lightly lubed the inside with ballistol and everything ran great for 200~ rounds then it started again, FTF with the nose of the bullet in the mag still. 

So switching to a non polymer coated bullet fixed your issue and matching your followers with your mags helped as well?