Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI versus STI versus KKM bull barrel

Looking at bull barrels. Of the three, which do you prefer and why. Prefer from people who have fit them. Not how your custom gun performs.

looking for fitment info

accuracy 

nuances of fitting

stuff like that. Basically why am I paying way more for SVI versus STI or KKM.

Edited by mach1soldier

KKM worked good for me on both of my guns. normal fitting they weren't bad to do. I think 4-5 thousands off the side of the hood and 10 thousands off the hood length if I am thinking right. I also had to relieve the side for the extractor. Also both starting out with a little bit of springing before full lock up and needed a little work on the muzzle end to lock up. I didn't have to touch the upper lugs to get 45 thousandths lock up. Both ended up using a #2 link on PT frame and slide.

SVI cost more and takes longer to get since they usually take 6 weeks to receive if you buy directly from SVI. You will find them in stock sometimes at Speed Shooters. But they come with the chamber cut already and a lot less work fitting them. Both the KKM barrels I bought for my Limited builds required the chamber being cut and the feed ramps being cut to the correct angle to get them to feed properly. Both barrels are equally accurate. Never fir or used a STI barrel.

I have used several infinity and KKM. I dont have any hands on with STI.

I used to learn toward Infinity for everything because they needed a lot less finish work. The chamber mouth is throated, the hood is almost pre cut perfect length and they are finish teamed. 

Only compliant and it is not really a complaint just something to be aware of.

They are a smidge larger outside diameter around the chamber and drag on some slides.

Lately I have been doing KKM and just dealing with clambering and thrusting and I think I now prefer them over Infinty once all is said and done.

KKM gives excellent accuracy and performance but more work to install. Thus the cost difference 

Schumann also makes a great barrel but I have heard they have been hard to get recently.  I have Schumann in one limited gun and SV in the other.  Both run great and almost identical velocities for me.  I would stay away from SV AET barrels for 40.  I have had a limited gun with KKM in the past and no complaints there either.  

• 3 months later...

I always went for Schuemann first, Mostly because of the 1x24 twist. I always had good luck with them, with the KKM's as a second choice.  However with the lack of availability when I need them I have been going the KKM way. Fitting them was like any other; patience, a little filing and you're good to go. For the price point and the quality KKM is my new first choice.