Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Center Axis Relock

I was reading on another forum about this technique called "Center Axis Re-lock"....never heard of it before, so I went to the website of a company that teaches it to find out what it was.

From what I can understand, it is basically a form of point shooting.

Here's the demo videos:

http://www.sabretactical.com/C_A_R_/Video_...ideo_clips.html

Watching the guy he appears to be very fast...but I have seen people use sighted shooting just as fast in USPSA/IPSC.

Outside of a "tactical" environment does this technique have practical application in competion shooting? How accurate could someone reasonably be using this technique beyond the ranges shown in the videos?

I'm not giving my opinion on this, just curious what experienced competition pistol shooters have to say.

Actually, from what I've read at that site and some other "tactical" and self defense forums (like Gabe Suarez's Warriortalk), C.A.R. shooting is comprised of both retention, point shooting and "extended" sighted shooting. You'll notice the gun is canted a bit and the aiming is done with the off side eye. That is if you shoot right handed, you aim with your left. The idea is to eliminate binocular sighting, since the system speciphically teaches to block your gun side eye with your nose.

Like I said, I have no experience with the system at all, but I just wanted to point out it is not exclusively point shooting.

Actually, from what I've read at that site and some other "tactical" and self defense forums (like Gabe Suarez's Warriortalk), C.A.R. shooting is comprised of both retention, point shooting and "extended" sighted shooting. You'll notice the gun is canted a bit and the aiming is done with the off side eye. That is if you shoot right handed, you aim with your left. The idea is to eliminate binocular sighting, since the system speciphically teaches to block your gun side eye with your nose.

Like I said, I have no experience with the system at all, but I just wanted to point out it is not exclusively point shooting.

Thanks, that is a better explanation of what it actually is than what I had been able to find.

IMHO, like any "guru technique", you could get good enough with it to do well, but why bother when so many others do as well or better without it? That goes double for competition.

Don't get me started on stance-gurus either or I'll have to whip out the 50 AE Egret again. :D :D :D

A "system", a set of beliefs, relies on faith. Adherents are doing what they're told.

A "sport", like uspsa, provides its own proof. Winners are doing what works.

Look at what the winners in a sport are doing & you won't be too far off.

I ran into these guys at the SWAT roundup a few years ago. They saw me smiling watching their video, and figured (wrongly) I was impressed and interested. I was simply amused and he caught me about half a second before the giggling and head shaking started. :P

Then things really went down hill....I gave them my card as training manager for our program :wacko: . This guy STILL sends me emails and phones three years later.

Couple of things I noticed or found out;

They have named their company something that obviously intentionally insinuates a connection with FLETC. They are not affiliated with them or any gov agency at all.

The guy with the British accent is some sort of half assed IPSC / SWAT / operator wannabe. There are strong rumors he can't return to UK.

I honestly figure his demo is one any middle of the road "B" shooter could do given half an hour of practice and voice lessons.

I'm no tacti-ninja.... ;) Appears to me that, in most of those cases of multiple targets, he'd be whacked about the third shot into the first target.... Not to mention that he's slow w/ the long guns, too.... heh heh....

If the opponent in the Reload video had a knife or something, he'd be cut up, too... guy was on top of him. Just cause you shoot him doesn't mean the fight's over...

We're discussing the technique of some goofy civillian yutz who wears a boonie hat, thigh rig, shoots in some kind of bastardized weaver stance, and has what appears to be a gas mask strapped to his knee.....?

Oooookay..... :blink::wacko::unsure:

We're discussing the technique of some goofy civillian yutz who wears a boonie hat, thigh rig, shoots in some kind of bastardized weaver stance, and has what appears to be a gas mask strapped to his knee.....?

Oooookay..... :blink:  :wacko:  :unsure:

And always seems to start with the gun pointed at the target!

Nolan

Skilled, but otherwise unremarkable according to Post #26

Don't discount point shooting completely. When my C-more died at nats right after the beep I point shot the whole stage. No mikes and I went 1 for 1 on the 2 long poppers. Granted I was 5 seconds slower but had the hits.

Oh..I agree, Chris. But even without seeing you on the stage you mention here I would feel certain you had a much different plaform than what is linked here as a "demonstration/exhibition" of the REAL way to shoot.

If the opponent in the Reload video had a knife or something, he'd be cut up, too... guy was on top of him. Just cause you shoot him doesn't mean the fight's over...

Actually... In that video he dryfires (meaning the gun is empty or has malfunctioned), which is the "go" signal for the attacker to charge; reloads and acts all "I gotcha!".

This has always bothered me because in the event of an empty gun, or malfunction, he wouldn't have a ready to fire gun just by replacing the magazine.

The only explanation I can come up with his behaviour would be the belief in that Glock occurance of slide shutting (and round chambering) when a mag is forcefully inserted (I know it happens on other guns too, as a matter of fact, it happens in mine; but Glocks are known to do this quite often). But I think that relying your reload on that is quite sloppy technique at best.

Ahhh, I'm still wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes. I think just about ANY technique will work if you are standing close enough to the target to REACH OUT AND BAT IT OFF THE HANGER WHEN YOU RUN OUT OF BULLETS!!!!!!

ROFLMAO!!!!! :blink:

I'd appreciate it if we could keep to discussing the technique (FWIW)...as opposed to the individual(s).

Fair enough, it's hysterical, but might be a fun way to burn up other people's ammo as long as I didn't have to do it so much it might "stick".

I can't wait to hear about this guy trying to defend it in court.

"Well your honor, as the founder of this cutting edge techinique, really a system as it were, I realized that one way to be sure my CAR index was perfect was to have the slide bounce off my head in the same place every shot. That way, as I black out from each sucessive concussion I get an instant sight picture in my mind's eye.

Functionally, the fat content of my forehead also acts as a kind of shok buff, for those "operators" and high end users among us who understand that sort of thing, and it does soften felt recoil considerably."

Sorry guys, the censors tripped of line again. I know, if I don't have something nice to say......make a joke. :D