Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Really...i Can Cook...

Making oatmeal by warming up the water in the microwave again weren't you. ;)

Yep.

Super weird though.

They say that water has to have some impurities in it to boil. I was using plain tap water (not even the filtered water from the fridge).

As Jake mentioned, I make this stuff all the time. I usually put about 1.5 cups of water into a thick, glass, oven-safe, Pyrex-style, measuring cup. I heat it for a few minutes while I put my oatmeal into a bowl and mix in half a scoop of protein powder, cinnimon, and a bit of sugar. (Mixing it up before hand keeps the protein powder from getting lump...key step).

Anyway...into the microwave the water goes. But, I get distracted by a phone call or soemthing, so I don't get to it right away. After a while I come back to it and start the whole process up again to ensure the water is hot.

So, from across the kitchen, I am watching this water go round and round in the microwave. I am thinking...that should be hot enough by now...I wonder if al the impurities escaped and that is keeping it from showing a boil...I wish I had a thermometer stuck in there right now...[then the mind wanders]...I start thinking about gun powder...and appropriate containers for storage and transport of gun powder...

I look back to the microwave...wwwaaaaaBOOM!!!

The water went from absolutely nothing to the power of an M-80. It blew the door of the microwave wide open!!!

No broken glass or anything. The "oven-safe" measuring cup held up fine. There was 0.25 cups of water left in it. I managed to explode over a cup of plain tap water. :wacko:

Hey Flex I eat 2 bowls at least of oatmeal a day, I have found that putting the oatmeal in the water, then heating it, improves (at least to my taste) the texture of the oatmeal.

You still can't let your mind wander and nuke it too long though :lol:

What's wrong with you people over here? Don't you know that oatmeal should be eaten cold --- with milk, like most other cereals? :lol::lol:

I suppose that if you really had to, in the dead of winter, on a sub-zero day, with the furnace not working, it might just be acceptable to cook oatmeal on the range (the one in the kitchen; not the one where you go on Sundays!), as long as oyu remember to sweeten it with a bit of honey and to mix in a bit of milk at the end..... :ph34r::ph34r:

Kyle,

if you're going to do it again, how about setting up a video camera?

My memory is short... I also have a headache. Stood out in the sun yesterday for over four hours in the context of a handgun defense class (which was neat, I assure you)(long story). Can't think with a headache, though. :wacko:

Seriously, I honestly don't recall the SignifOther mention... Hmm... I wonder how you'd do a Search for that.......... :ph34r:;)