Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shadow 2 stoppages

GJM

A month or so, I got a new Shadow 2. Immediately, it started experiencing frequent, similar stoppages, where the fired case would be partially stuck in the chamber, and the next cartridge jammed into it from below. This was with American Eagle 115 and 124 ammo, using the supplied magazines, and also with existing MecGar magazines that work fine in my old Shadows. I contacted CZ, and they have the pistol in for repair.

I like the Shadow 2 enough I bought a second new one this week, and it is doing the exact same thing, with a range of magazines and AE 115, 124 and Lawman 147. Same ammo runs fine in my P09 and other pistols. I am at a course at TPC, and it is obviously frustrating.

Any thoughts on a cause and any chance it could relate to the factory installed Shock Buff that came on the pistol? 

This is the first time I heard of a shadow 2 with problems you’re experiencing. It also seems that you experienced the same problem with the same ammo. Have you tried different ammo aside from the three brands you used? What recoil spring are you using?

i had over 3k round on my shadow 2 and I didn’t have any problems at all. I shot WWB 115, sig 124 and currently with my reloads without any hiccups. I always shot with the thin shock buff installed from day one.

Hopefully CZ will fix and let you know what the problem was.

Didn't realize you got a second one and it is doing the same. Sounds like FTE, E for extract. I doubt it is ammo, especially if it is doing it with 124 AE and 147 Lawman. This sounds very similar to what I had with a Tanfo, and I never truly figured it out. Since your very first Shadow 2 that I am shooting trouble free has a lighter recoil spring, maybe do that first and see if it helps for a more forceful contact with ejector?

Guy on another forum had the exact same issues. He ended up replacing the extractor and an extra power extractor spring and the problem went away.

Edited by Trinimon

On gun one, it happened with the OEM recoil spring, and then also with the reduced recoil spring I got from CZ Custom. On gun two, I started with the reduced recoil spring from CZ Custom. 

Both guns are the gray finish, purchased close together, and I will have to check serial numbers to see how close they are. 

It’s an extractor issue. Try cleaning it first. Check it has a spring in it. If that doesn’t work then try replacing it.

I’ve never had a FTE in my (relatively) new S2 and it loves American Eagle 124’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean/lube it up, change to a different bullet profile and weight.  Report back please!

I had a little hiccup on my 75 Shadow at a match using 147g.  It was related to the magazine springs in the 18 round mags.  Clean your mags and check for burs on the plastic followers.

Edited by WxGuy

Since both guns were clean, lubed, and the same stoppage happened with three different weights of factory ammo, and multiple magazines that work in other CZ pistols, will be checking extractor and spring. Thanks for help. Who makes the recommended extra power extractor spring? 

I made a call two calls today, before calling CZ USA for a RMA. 

CZ Custom said “we don’t handle repair work for the Shadow 2, call CZ USA and don’t mess around with the extractor and possibly void the warranty.”

Cajun said “there is nothing wrong with the pistol, read our tutorial on our website site on recoil springs.” I did and it suggested that you want cases landing 6-8 away, and to 86 the shock buff. I removed the shock buff, went to the range and noted my cases from American Eagle 124 were landing four feet away, not 6-8 feet as they recommend. (This is with a reduced weight recoil spring from CZ Custom) just as I was starting to think the shock buff was causing the problem, I got a stoppage identical to what I have been experiencing with an empty case partly out the barrel and the next round jammed up from below. 

It is is hard to imagine CZ USA ships Shadow 2 pistols that won’t function, shooting factory ammo, with the OEM recoil spring or a reduced one from CZ Custom? As a reference point, my five Shadow 1 pistols and a slew of P07 and P09 pistols run reliably for me. 

So I’m having the same problem (intermittent) but often enough to screw up one or two stages during a match. My Shadow 2 has about 1500 rounds on it. Got it used with about 500 rounds on it. Never had an issue with my Shadow 1. I’m using reloads that I chamber checked and loaded to 128 power factor. Tried a 10, 11, and 12 pound recoil spring and casings are landing three to four feet away with either spring. I pulled the extractor and cleaned it and the channel and nothing changed. Now I’m going to up my load to around 135 power factor and see if that changes anything. After that I’m going to install a new extractor spring. If that doesn’t work I’ll replace the extractor. 

I really think it’s the spring but since I didn’t have one on hand I’ll try the ammo first. 

A few shooters at are club have had some similar issues, however both of them were running the extended safety. After putting the gun through the paces they realized there support hand thumb was touching the slide and inducing the malfunctions. They both switched to the flush safeties and the problems went away.

I'd have CZ involved at this point.  That's crazy to be experiencing that many issues on a gun that you haven't messed with.  My TS fired a couple thousand rounds, then I messed with the frame and hammer and sear and springs and have several thousand rounds since.  I've never had a single malfunction that want due to a very out of spec round (that's happened twice, one was my fault for damaging the round while loading).  Factory ammo shouldn't be a problem on ANY modern pistol, let alone a high level CZ.

Well sending it back wouldn’t be any fun.  Also I want this thing running this weekend. An extractor and spring is a minor deal. Sometimes springs are weak, metal fatigues. Anyway I’ll know tomorrow if I’m right. 

CZ has been very nice to deal with. When I call, I get a live person quickly, and they have paid shipping without even me asking them. The first of my two pistols is on the way back from CZ after repair, with the following note on the email advising me the pistol is being shipped:

Work Performed: Polished extractor and adjusted slide stop. Test fired good with 115 gr S&B FMJ using all 3 magazines.

1 hour ago, GJM said:

CZ has been very nice to deal with. When I call, I get a live person quickly, and they have paid shipping without even me asking them. The first of my two pistols is on the way back from CZ after repair, with the following note on the email advising me the pistol is being shipped:

Work Performed: Polished extractor and adjusted slide stop. Test fired good with 115 gr S&B FMJ using all 3 magazines.

Really want to see what exactly they did to the slide stop

I just got a Shadow 2 (black, and part of the group that didn't get an extended safety in the box) and on it's first range trip (yes I cleaned and lubed it first) I had 2 of these type of stoppages in the first 50 then good for 100, I was running Rem UMC 115, some Fed 115, and Agulia 115.  After reading some posts, I did make sure to clean around the extractor, and lube it, but I didn't remove it to clean under it.   The second range trip, same mix of ammo had no failures over about 150 rounds.   Range boxes are really tight so it's impossible to estimate how far the ejection might be, but it did seem a little erratic in direction.

It would be interesting to see what they polished and what they did to the slide stop, if they are polishing the "body" of the extractor meaning it might not be pivoting smoothly, or something on the hook etc. 

Contact CZ USA and let them know you didn’t get the extended safety in the box so they’ll send you one free of charge. You might have to wait though since they don’t have any in stock.

I think this extractor is bent. I won’t get my new one until tomorrow but this doesn’t look right to me. I’ll know for sure tomorrow unless someone here knows.

e7fefcfd67b9ed9644bff572ace39c27.jpgf4e7fa7a4adedf86db5207eb67a01073.jpg

Looks fine to me

What do you think about the end that catches the rim? That’s the part that looks bent out to me.