Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to add another Dillon

I have a 550 C that I been reloading .45 ACP and 9MM with for a few years. I have quick change heads for these and .223.  My initial thought was to get another 550 and have one set up for large primers and one for small primers. Seems like the logical thing to do since I already have the quick change heads. Right? I probably average reloading only 1000-1500 rounds a month. But, I am planning on having my own pistol and rifle range this year. I know that I will shoot much more.

Now, I have looked at the 650 as the second machine. But, I would not be able to take advantage of the quick change heads that I already have. And, as I have searched for info, I have read all the wonderful attributes of the 1050. Thus, I am bouncing around all over the place on which way to go. The price difference is not really the issue. Ease of use, less wear and tear on aching shoulder and other joints are more important to me. I enjoy reloading and do not look at is as a chore. Cranking out tons of ammo in the shortest time as possible is not my main goal. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

I have had my 550 for nine years and this year I purchased a 650.  I use the 550 to load 45 ACP and everything else is loaded on the 650.  I found the 650 a little different than the 550, but once I got comfortable with the 650 loading is a breeze.  I am very happy I picked up the 650.

Early 2000s looked at a 550 or 650 for reloading. Never could justify to myself the price difference between 650 and 550. Bought 550. A few years later bought 1050 on eBay. Great price and lots of extras. Had I bought a 650 first would never t have purchased a 1050. Still have 550 and reload 45 ACP, M1 Carbine, and small batch .223/5.56. Do 9mm, 40 S&W, and large batch .223/5.55 on the 1050. Doubt you will go wrong with either. Just ensure you need a 1050, and it is not a want. 

I went from 2 1050's down to a single 650.

For my reloading needs now(a few years ago the 1050's were justified) the 650 does more than I need at a pace thats good enough for me.

The 1050 is just crazy expensive to do caliber conversions to it.  500+ per caliber conversion when its all said and done, even more if you have a bullet feeder, want dedicated powder throwers, etc...

You should be able to buy a 650 and sell your 550 to recoup some costs and get the 650 setup for whatever you need.  Used dillon stuff seems to go for about 80% of retail.  Primer change on the 650 is more complicated than a 550, but if you plan your reloading, you can swap to large primer, do say 2-3k rounds of 45acp, then go back to small primer for 9mm and 223.

I have read that some folks say the 1050 is easier on the shoulder. It would be nice to go into my shop and load up 1000 rounds and not have an aching shoulder afterward. (injured shoulder riding a dirt bike 40 years ago)  I have never seen one in person, much less operate one. I shoot a lot more 45 than I do everything else combined.

I intend to keep the 550 no matter what. 

Thanks for the replies.

Those who load all SP calibers except .45ACP would do well to consider going to SP .45.  That way you only need one size of primer -  I load 9mm, .45 and .223 and use small rifle primers for all.  

If all ammunition loaded is with small primers it would simplify somewhat your press selections, also less work.

Get a 650 and don't look back. Use the 550 for less shot  calibers. I load .223 and 50AE on my 550. I load a lot of.45 and 9mm. I added a MBF and I'm in reloading heaven. I have no need for a 1050. Save some money and buy brass and buy powder etc. 

1 hour ago, DukeEB said:

One of my local friends runs a brass processing business with multiple 1050's.  As I understand it, the 1050 does not have the same guarantees from dillon that the 550/650 does.

That's true about the warranty. Only one year. But the parts are easily replaced, and upgrades are readily available.

I sold the 650XL I was using and bought an S1050 about a year and a half ago. I really like it.

Edited by MikieM

15 hours ago, MikieM said:

That's true about the warranty. Only one year. But the parts are easily replaced, and upgrades are readily available.

I sold the 650XL I was using and bought an S1050 about a year and a half ago. I really like it.

They are awesome machines, that's for sure.