Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC start position

Gary Stevens

OK just reviewed the PCC rules again. The rule says a shooter may not be required to start with the PCC on the weak side. The way I read that is if the shooter decides that they want to start that way it is ok.

Scenario: stage requires six shots to be fired weak side only from the start signal. Shooter holds PCC on weak side, weak hand on pistol grip, strong hand on hand guard, stock touching belt.

Anyone see a rule violation?

4 hours ago, wtturn said:

Why not just specify start with stock on belt and let the competitor solve the problem?

That seems to be what the rule implies (states) I think.

Not really poor stage design, its a standards.

Gary is correct.

I shot a standard Thursday with my JP PCC.  There was a barricade with targets on the 'weak's side and strong side.

I started with the gun on the weak side of the barricade and shot it weak side.  Then switched to strong side for the targets on the right/strong side of the barricade.

The rule is fine as it stands.  The option is with the shooter.  No need to micro-manage every aspect of the sport.

13 minutes ago, pjb45 said:

Gary is correct.

I shot a standard Thursday with my JP PCC.  There was a barricade with targets on the 'weak's side and strong side.

I started with the gun on the weak side of the barricade and shot it weak side.  Then switched to strong side for the targets on the right/strong side of the barricade.

The rule is fine as it stands.  The option is with the shooter.  No need to micro-manage every aspect of the sport.

Somewhat refreshing approach, IMO.

No rule violation.  Rule states a stage cannot require a PCC shooter start with PCC in weak hand, however, shooter may decide to.  Just cannot be a requirement.

No stage design violation.  Stage can require weak hand shooting.  Implication would be for PCC to start in strong hand, as any holstered pistol shooter.  However, PCC shooter can decide to start in the weak hand.

Its all good.

I agree with everyone else- no rule violation unless the start position said something different, such as:

”Strong hand on grip, weak hand on handguard. Stock touching belt. Muzzle pointed in any safe direction.”

versus:

”Stock touching belt, muzzle pointed in any safe direction”

as as an example. 

12 hours ago, DKorn said:

I agree with everyone else- no rule violation unless the start position said something different, such as:

”Strong hand on grip, weak hand on handguard. Stock touching belt. Muzzle pointed in any safe direction.”

versus:

”Stock touching belt, muzzle pointed in any safe direction”

as as an example. 

^^^ What he said.  It only seems contingent on the start position as written in the WSB.

I believe he's answering the first part of the question.  As in, "If the WSB doesn't specify, no, the shooter does not have to start with the gun on their strong side."

His answer doesn't make any sense when applied to the second half, as the WSB is not allowed to specify starting on the weak side.