Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Abbreviated Classifier

mjkten

As a beginning IDPA shooter, my goal has been to not worry about time, just be safe, shoot for good hits, and learn the ropes.

I recently had an abbreviated stage (5x5?) incorporated into the match I shot.

It looks like I scored a point or two into the next classification up.

Will that score in the abbreviated classifier give me the next higher level? (MM to SS)

I felt like I had a good day based on my goals, and started thinking about shooting a bit faster.

Then I checked the rules page on the IDPA site and saw the times for the abbreviated classifier.

Curious...

Only if they report it as a classifier. If it was just as a stage at a match with no intent to be turned in well there you are, you have the knowledge you did it but no increase in classification.

10 hours ago, synchronicity said:

Congratulations on doing well.

The answer is - "it depends".

Thanks. I need to start getting serious with phase 1 and 2 of the transition drill benos gave out. 

I know that if I put my time in with focused practice I should improve. 

My club has had classifiers twice a year and I thought that the latest match might have been one. Shooting the abbreviated stage made me wonder.

• 10 months later...

I shot a match once where the 5x5 was included as a stage, and if you wanted your score to get submitted then the match director would submit your score. Otherwise they did not. So if you see that your classification hasn't been updated it might be worthwhile to ask the MD to submit your score.

IMO the 5x5 classifier is not a good representation of how good you are.  It's nothing more than a stand and deliver and it can place you in a class that you will never (or more than likely not) get anywhere but the bottom.

A better one is the standard 72 round classifier.

I think the 5x5 classifier is a poor basis for judging competency. After an almost 2 year break where I shot a gun on exactly 2 occasions with absolutely no draw or reloading practice, I shot the 5x5 completely cold, no warm up. I was able to make master, 18.05 that included 1 down. Based on the old classifier I am a mid expert. I guess my dedication to not shooting for 2 years really paid off, or the 5x5 is entirely too easy. 

At our club we never seem to shoot the longer IDPA classifier anymore.  It is much easier to just set up the 5X5.  I feel the old 90 round classifier and the newer longer classifier is much more challenging and more skill is needed to make Master.

• 1 month later...