Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sps Mags

Jack Suber

Has anyone gotten their hands on one of the SPS mags (Standard Divison)? Do they work? Can we get them in the States?

BTW, I have been to their website and look for distributors, etc. All are outside of the US with two in Canada. Can they ship mags to us here? Just wondering if there were any import restrictions that would prevent this. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You can get SPS mags in the U.S. either from their website directly, or a U.S. distributor - I know the 140 and 170 mags are supposed to work well, according to some other forum members... haven't heard on the Standard size.

There are U.S. Distributors, one in OK I think ; I think Azone41 from this forum knows one..... otherwise you might need to contact SPS for more info.

Benny - I was wondering about the 140mm's. I just don't see how they could get that extra round in there and still be limited legal. Thanks for the heads-up. You saved me from ordering a couple.

Archard - I decided to order a couple of 120mm's to see how they work. Hopefully they will arrive in time for me to try them out before the WS. I'll let y'all know how they do when I get them. Thanks for the feedback.

Jack

the 120mm is 18+1 and I have 5 sps mags. so far so good

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my 120mms SPS mags arrived Thursday. I ordered the Hi-cap ones that allow 18+1. They do hold 18. However, with a magwell on the pistol, I don't know if I can reload to one with 18 in it. I have to put a good bit of pressure on them to get them to seat. The look very similar to SV mags. The basepad is wedge-shaped like the Dawsons, but they have a retaining pin on one side. They worked OK today. My only worry would be how long the springs would last.

BTW, I ordered them directly from SPS and they were here in 9 days. Later.

I was curious and got a 140mm mag. THe mag itself is 140mm with no room for a base pad. So they are too long for limited. I know some guys who made a special paper thin base pad to make them legal length but then they didnt hold what they advertised since the 22 they advertised was with the extended wedge base pad they come with.

There is some question as to whether they are legal to buy. I have been told that it is a patent infringment. Wouldnt be as bad buying them as it would be trying to sell them. Notice the disclaimer USPSA has on their web page.

I looked into selling them. They told me they had no distibutors in the US , that they sell direct. If you buy in quantity you can get a discount of about 10% .

After learning what I did on the length and that they are no better then what we already have, why bother. They also dont accept the aftermarket parts we have here in the US.

Bottomline is dont fall for their false advertising or support them in violating a US companies patent rights.

There is some question as to whether they are legal to buy. I have been told that it is a patent infringment. Wouldnt be as bad buying them as it would be trying to sell them. Notice the disclaimer USPSA has on their web page.

Bottomline is dont fall for their false advertising or support them in violating a US companies patent rights.

One more time on the patents-- STI/SV-compatible magazines (aka: double-stack magazines) are not patented by anybody. They've been around since what, 1935 in the BHP? 1898 in the Broomhandle? The STI/SV frame itself is patented and protected from knockoffs in the US.

Anybody is free to object to SPS knocking off somebody else's product (or any of the other things Chuck posted), but that's different than legal problems.

I have been told that it is a patent infringment

The frames are a patent infingemnet for a few more years. The mags are most certainly not. I wish someone in the US carried them as they have to be better than the "build your own" crap on the American market sold at pre-ban scalping prices.

The frames are a patent infingemnet for a few more years. The mags are most certainly not. I wish someone in the US carried them as they have to be better than the "build your own" crap on the American market sold at pre-ban scalping prices.

I havent taken the time to research the patent. I first thought the mag couldnt be patented. I was once looking into selling the mags from south africa but both STI and SV told me if I did it would be an infringement and I would be opening myself up to litigation. I was a distributor for both comapnies and didnt want to make waves so I took their word for it. I also brought the SPS mags to the attention of STI and they claimed the same thing.

There was an individual selling the SPS mags and has since quit, although not sure why, I have reasons to believe it was due to the threat of legal action.

People who sell in this sport carry STI or SV and I am sure they will still outsell SPS in this country. They would do it with the threat of loosing their current supplier. On top of that they dont offer distributor discounts and dealers only get 10% which is what they offered to an individual who bought 10. They said they wanted to only sell direct anyway. I dont see anybody selling them here unless its a small timer selling out of their trunk.

Again its irrelevant since these mags are too long for limited. The price isnt any better than what we already have. Before the 1994 ban STI mags were selling for 50.00, so were paras. The retail price is today 60.00, I have them on sale for 54.00 rigth now. Not much of an increase in 12 years. So "pre-ban scalping prices" just doesnt hold water.

The frames are a patent infingemnet for a few more years.  The mags are most certainly not.  I wish someone in the US carried them as they have to be better than the  "build your own" crap on the American market sold at pre-ban scalping prices.

I havent taken the time to research the patent. I first thought the mag couldnt be patented. I was once looking into selling the mags from south africa but both STI and SV told me if I did it would be an infringement and I would be opening myself up to litigation. I was a distributor for both comapnies and didnt want to make waves so I took their word for it. I also brought the SPS mags to the attention of STI and they claimed the same thing.

There was an individual selling the SPS mags and has since quit, although not sure why, I have reasons to believe it was due to the threat of legal action.

People who sell in this sport carry STI or SV and I am sure they will still outsell SPS in this country. They would do it with the threat of loosing their current supplier. On top of that they dont offer distributor discounts and dealers only get 10% which is what they offered to an individual who bought 10. They said they wanted to only sell direct anyway. I dont see anybody selling them here unless its a small timer selling out of their trunk.

Again its irrelevant since these mags are too long for limited. The price isnt any better than what we already have. Before the 1994 ban STI mags were selling for 50.00, so were paras. The retail price is today 60.00, I have them on sale for 54.00 rigth now. Not much of an increase in 12 years. So "pre-ban scalping prices" just doesnt hold water.

Chuck, you are right. I didn't realize that the complete high caps were only $60.

I guess i am still venting over the crime bill era prices.

I sure wish Mec-Gar would make some S*I mags though, for $29.95 retail and good quality tubes and components.

Just an update - I tested the 120mm (Standard Division) Hi-caps in "the box" and they fit. So, they will be OK for the WS. I do prefer their basepads over the Dawson's (international) because they do not move and they are held in place with a pin. I guess that pin idea would be a point that could be litigated.

The frames are a patent infingemnet for a few more years.  The mags are most certainly not.  I wish someone in the US carried them as they have to be better than the  "build your own" crap on the American market sold at pre-ban scalping prices.

Chuck, you are right. I didn't realize that the complete high caps were only $60.

I guess i am still venting over the crime bill era prices.

I sure wish Mec-Gar would make some S*I mags though, for $29.95 retail and good quality tubes and components.

I didnt look at the base pad but if it uses a pin, single or double then the pad would violate grams patent. I know grams pad uses a U pin, or 2 sided pin but he also patented the single sided pin. Smart on his part. I made a base pad back in the 90's which used a single pin. Guess what I got a letter from Grams attorneys with a copy of the patent. Who would have known he had the foresight to patent the single pin. But he did.

I didnt look at the base pad but if it uses a pin, single or double then the pad would violate grams patent. I know grams pad uses a U pin, or 2 sided pin but he also patented the single sided pin. Smart on his part. I made a base pad back in the 90's which used a single pin. Guess what I got a letter from Grams attorneys with a copy of the patent.  Who would have known he had the foresight to patent the single pin. But he did.

The sps pad use single pin.

I didnt look at the base pad but if it uses a pin, single or double then the pad would violate grams patent. I know grams pad uses a U pin, or 2 sided pin but he also patented the single sided pin. Smart on his part. I made a base pad back in the 90's which used a single pin. Guess what I got a letter from Grams attorneys with a copy of the patent.  Who would have known he had the foresight to patent the single pin. But he did.

Beven has 2 firearm patents:

Hand gun magazine extension assembly

Base pad for hand gun magazine

and he is a co-patent holder for a Cannula lock and seal mechanism which seems to be some sort of medical device.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I have one that is now Limited legal and holds 21, it fits in the EGW official USPSA mag guage top, bottom, and rear. Will not be using it in matches until I trust the function from practice and testing. I have seen little use for it though over my 20 round STI and SV tubes. Para guys have always been able to get 21 BTW.

OK, I have one that is now Limited legal and holds 21, it fits in the EGW official USPSA mag guage top, bottom, and rear.  Will not be using it in matches until I trust the function from practice and testing.  I have seen little use for it though over my 20 round STI and SV tubes.  Para guys have always been able to get 21 BTW.

I have mine and it's working flowlessly.