Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Czechmate light strikes

Tc2415

I recently started having constant light strikes with my czechmate.  I had switched to win srp, ran about 1200 rounds flawlessly and all the sudden the light strikes started. Inswithxed to cci 400's still light strikes. I tried win pistol primers and still had light strikes. My gunsmith thought I was slightly engaging the czc extended safety, causing the issues.  Had him do his work on that. I had the entire thing cleaned, installed the czc extended firing pin, rami fp spring, even an 18lb mainspring.  Still constant light strikes.  I had someone look at my ammo and thought my primers might not be recessed enough.  Has anyone had this issue?  Could my primers not being recessed enough be causing the light strikes?  Any suggestions or input would be much appreciated.

Dillon 650.  I thought they were below flush, but was told by an experienced shooter, they might not be recessed enough.  I'm fairly new to reloading, so I only can go off what I'm told.  Everything I've loaded so far (around 5k rounds) goes bang. Coincidentally, I should've mentioned I've been having issues with my primer wheel on my 650.  It over rotates periodically in one spot, and needs to be manually rotated clockwise a slight amount until it clicks.  The primers still seat just fine or so I thought. I really make sure to seat the primers hard. Can I adjust the primer seating depth on a 650?

Do the rounds go off when you try them a second time?  If the primers are high the first strike can be sufficient to seat them fully and then they fire the next time. 

Individually check a batch of test rounds to make sure the primers are fully seated and chamber check them before firing them. 

Also have someone else try your gun to see if it is your grip.

Use Small Pistol Primers! There is no need to use SRP’s. I would stay away from CCI primers as they have caused two light strikes for me in the past. I use Winchester and Fiochii small Pistol primers without issue. 

Edited by abb1

If you are getting light strikes with win spp I'd look at seating depth. Do they pop with a second strike? I Rin S and B SRP for my Czechmate and have zero issues. I load on a 1050 and seat them so deep that they actually put a slight dimple in the primer.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

An 18lb mainspring is strong enough to fire any pistol primer known to man.  Winchester has a problem keeping their primers round.  Not only does that cause problems with primer fillers, it occasionally causes seating problems.  Last week a friend had Tc's problem.  I told him his primers were too high (flush).  He didn't believe me.  I told him to put the ftf back in the gun and pull the trigger.  Nothing.  Try it again.  Nothing.  Try again.  Bang.  On average it took two firing pin hits to seat the primer so the third would fire it.

Do as Larry suggests, make sure the case centers over it, and push hard when seating.  

I agree probably high primers.  Make sure on your 650 that the shellplate is adjusted as tight as possible but still be able to turn.  If its more loose than that, it raises up as youre seating primers & you get not fully seated primer issues.

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2018 at 10:02 AM, mlmiller1 said:

I agree probably high primers.  Make sure on your 650 that the shellplate is adjusted as tight as possible but still be able to turn.  If its more loose than that, it raises up as youre seating primers & you get not fully seated primer issues.

I read that you're supposed to tighten it so that the shellplate doesn't deflect under finger pressure.  Am I supposed to be making it tighter than that?