Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

the DREAD gun

No heat, no recoil, no sound, no gunpowder, no flash -- just 120,000 rounds per minute of pulverizing power. The next generation of weapons systems has arrived: the DREAD centrifuge-powered weapon system.

I can't wait for EricW et al. to rip this apart. I think I've figured out its power source: perpetual motion.

Every newly developed gun claims to be jamless.  Then they invent excuses.

well, based on the descriptions I ahve seen of it, I would venture it IS jamless. It just either works or fails catestrophically killing the operator.. see, no jam.

recoileless? SURE!... we've replaced recoil with having to stabilize a heavy unballenced flywheel spinning at 30,000 RPM.. sure, it might be near impossible and cost millions to do so, but damnit we have that recoil licked finally. (frankly havng had a simple box fan that lost one fin and trying to capture the chaotic beastie before more damage was done.. I'd rather just have the recoil)

Silent? uhmm.. ok can't even rationalize that.. sonic boom at the very least, plus the stabilizing system for the above probably sounds like the mother of all unbalanced washer loads. not to mention the motor.. however, if it is for say.. space based weapons systems it silent!!!! yeah that's it...

then there's the question of batteries capable of imparting that much lateral momentum to captured ubjects ina spinning disc weigh less than gunpowder and brass.

I can't wait for EricW et al. to rip this apart.

You rang?

"it's not only possible, it's already happened."

Then why, oh why, is the illustration in the article a computer-generated rendering? :lol:

I am just guessing here, but I am thinking that something spinning fast enough to throw 120,000 rounds per minute at 5-8k fps just may be a little difficult for an infantryman to control...

Even if it becomes necessary to increase the DREAD's magazine capacity to upwards of 100,000 rounds (.308 Cal.) or 20,0000 rounds (.50 Cal.), and run the weapon all day and all night for weeks on end

I may not be doing the math correctly, but if you want the 1/32" projectile spacing (120krpm), this only lasts a minute or two.

Maybe the ninjas on realUltimatepower are going to use these.

:ph34r:

I heard about this contraption second hand over the keg at a BBQ - a non-shooting guy was trying to explain it and from his description, it sounded like he had seen one to many sci fi B movies & confused them with reality.

Turns out he was right! Fly in the ointment seems to be "battery powered" - I think they will manage to start issueing GE mini-guns in back packs before we see a "centrifuge gun" on anything besides a tank.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but is this the gun that uses electrical impulses to send the bullet down the barrel? Just like the bullet trains in Japan that levitate above the rails? If so I saw one on Discovery channel. The comentater said it can possible shoot 1,000,000 rounds a minute. No moving parts to slow it down. It sounded real funny, like a goose burping real loud.

So many undisclosed details. But one that intriques me is trying to understand how it stays together when you drop a 300-400 grain .50 round into a disk spinning at maybe 10,000-15,000 rpm. It has to be tough to pick up 120,000 of them a minute. I think it would have a terrible time maintaining it's structural integrity. And it would probably break too!!!!

FWIW

dj