Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about the trivia question for 1-03 caused me to ponder this.  Who are the top 5 or 10 IPSC shooters who have never won the US or World  Shoots.

1.  Benos (our Host)

2.  Tom Campbell

3.  Mike Dalton

4.  Bill Wilson

5.  Chuck Taylor

6.  Chip McCormick

7.  Nick Pruitt

8.  Mike Fitchman

9.  Bill Rogers

10.Frank Garcia

who else?

Since I have been going through old American Handgunner magazines to see if my guess was right, here are the USA shooters who were in the top 20 in 1977: 3rd:Raul Walters, 5th:Thomas Campbell, 6th:Ray Chapman, 8th:Jerry Usher, 9th:Ron Lerch, 10th:Leonard Knight, 11th:Mike Dalton, 13th:Kirk Kirkham, 19th:John Davis.

I don't have copies of the first 3 issues of AH. I think thats where the results are for 1976. Back to the basement to look through old Guns & Ammo and Guns magazines.

Bill Nesbitt

I don't go as far back - there are great current shooters who are capable and eventually will win a major.

First pick?

Our own Travis Tomasie. Dude is stellar.

JoJo Vidanes

Jamie Craig

Matt Burkett

Tawn Argeris

Brian (obviously)

Tommy Campbell

Oh - and Jethro - I guarantee he would have several titles if he'd stuck with it. Of that I have no doubt!

JB

I wasn't talking just about the old timers (although this thread was a ploy to get some other names to kick around for the trivia question).  How about Arnyt Meyer (spelling) he certainly was super for a  time.  Angelo Spagnoli, very fast and did well at the Steel Challenge.  Tom Campbell would have won at least two US titles if he had shot .45 instead of 9mm Minor or so long.  didn't the Jet win the World Shoot once, I forget.

I think it was '88 WS, I remember being surprised to see Chip McCormick take second (I think it was second....).  Yeah, sometimes you pidgeonhole someone to a specialized dicipline and you forget what a good IPSC shooter they were....

BrianH

Take a gander at the old photos Benos has avaliable.  One of them shows Chippie giving a lesson to Brian and Robbie.  Let me tell you, B4 Brian and Rob came on the scene, Chip was the guy to beat in the South.  I have shot against him many times and he was always very tough.  One of my favorite memories of the old days is my team winning the Texas IPSC Team Challenge in '82, 83 and 84  Four nobodies beating Chip McCormick's team and John Dixon's team three straight years.

I would have to go with Saul Kirsh. This Israeli shooter has only competed twice in the World shoot. Was second on his first US Nationals. He placed 5th on llast WS, due to big gun trouble. Here in Europe he has com within 0.9% range with Eric Grauffel.

I think that as long as Eric keeps shooting, nobody else will win the WS. :)

You guys are missing the next US Cahmpion: Phil Strader. He is a shoe-in.  Agree as well that Saul is a strong contender for the next world shoot. Also keep your eye on Junior Chris Tilley - wasn't Eric a junior when he won the first time?

As for the 1st world 3gun, my money is on Eric Lund.

You don't really what TOny George is goign to name his pet series. It is the IRL - OPEN wheel that only goes roundies with a boat load of downforce. Wonder why they are afraid to turn right.

Quote: from bulm5 on 9:52 am on Jan. 14, 2003

You don't really what TOny George is goign to name his pet series. It is the IRL - OPEN wheel that only goes roundies with a boat load of downforce. Wonder why they are afraid to turn right.

Then you get NASCAR where they only race two road courses a year, and some teams..with the money..hire pro road course driver to run them...BTW Ron Fellows (Canadian) just got hire to help Earnhards team develop for  and race the road course events. He was on the C5R team with Dale Earnhardt at 24 hours of Daytona..so they have had a working relationship already.

I'm really suprised that Max Michel Jr.'s name didn't come up.  He came really close at last year's nationals and in the other matches he shot - he really destroyed everyone.  He screwed the curve up so bad on my rating system that I had to implement the rule that you can only get as high as a 99% on any other match other than the nationals.  

Right now I have him ranked #4 overall in the uspsa.  The other guys in the top 5 are Leatham, Jarret, Miculek, and Barnhart.

Racaza is also a good name to through out too considering that he would have won the nationals if he didn't DQ.

Dowter

If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt when he jumped.  

Not being ugly, just realistic.  Kirk Kirkham would have defended his title in  the 78 US Shoot, if he had not lost his pistol in the tunnel on the assualt stage...

Ray Chapman would have won two World shoots in a row if he had not had an inverted primer on his factory ammo on one stage...which allowed Jan Foss to slip by him.

Aside from the usual three, JJ will be the next Open Champion.  It will be between Max, Saul, and Travis for the next title.  As for Limited, Taran Butler has my vote.  I think he's finally found the balance b/t speed and accuracy.  Thanks for the vote of confidence, Carlos, but I just bought a business, so I'm out of that category!  I can still dream, though!

Other names to look out for in Open:

Adam Popplewell

KC Eusibo - slow down kid!

Blake Miguez

....Limited.....

Blake, for sure

Hell, Adam, again.  

Emanuel Bragg

Mark Hanish

....Names you don't know, but will soon.......

Jeff Gambrell

BJ Norris

Erik Lund - if he would ever shoot!

Wishful thinking,

Phil