Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition from CZ Shadow to Shadow 2?

JGus

I'm just curious as to how many have moved from the first generation CZ Shadow to the CZ Shadow 2, or decided just to stay with the first gen Shadow?  I've always seen a lot of Shadow's at matches, but now I'm noticing a few others that are now also using the Shadow 2.

For the last three or four years, I have shot a CZ AccuShadow in Production.  I absolutely love the gun!  Didn't think there was any way I would move to the Shadow 2.  But, after I had a chance to play around with a S2, I decided to order one.  It took me a couple months to get adjusted to it, but now that I have, there is no question I definitely prefer it over my AccuShadows.  I did add a CZC competition hammer, a 0.90 DP fiber optic front sight, LOK palm swell grips, swapped out to lighter recoil and main spring, and added a CGW bushing.  For competition purposes, I'm not sure any of that was really necessary, but I did it anyway.  The S2 is amazingly competition ready right out of the box.

I made the switch this year. It's been fairly painless: I got used to the weight difference quickly and my grip has not needed to change substantially. 

That said, I decided to make my life hard and change my grip in the last couple weeks. But, that's no fault to the S2, other than the frame permits for a "better" grip (IMO). 

Both are good guns and won’t steer you wrong in Production. It all boils down to preference. The only disadvantage for the S2 is the weight increase, but that does not bother most and it is because of this increase that the gun has better recoil reduction and controllability. Some people don’t like the weight though......

50 minutes ago, Magictalent said:

If we compare a Shadow Orange to a Shadow 2, most people will love the Shadow Orange more than the Shadow 2.

I'm not sure I'd completely agree with that.  I've shot a Shadow Orange.  Great gun!  But, I just prefer the weight and ergonomics of the Shadow 2 over the Shadow.  I think most people that have moved to the Shadow 2 would prefer it over any of the first gen Shadow models, even if it's an Orange, Canadian, Accu, etc.  The Shadow 2 definitely has a different feel to it.  Some prefer it over the Shadow, some don't.  But if someone prefers the feel of the Shadow 2 over a first gen Shadow, i don't think even a Shadow Orange will bring them back.

Edited by JGus

Shadow Orange is Custom fitted "Production" gun. :-).

The action is so smooth and trigger is so consistent.

In USPSA, many internal upgrade and polishing are allowed. No so much in IPSC.

Many will find weigh is helping. 

Many prefer smooth action and consistent trigger.

In IPSC, it is easier to handle 9mm minor load than have custom fitting to a Shadow 2.

I shoot a Shadow 2, just wish CZ will come with a Shadow 2 Orange soon.

Edited by Magictalent

On 2/28/2018 at 1:41 PM, abb1 said:

Both are good guns and won’t steer you wrong in Production. It all boils down to preference. The only disadvantage for the S2 is the weight increase, but that does not bother most and it is because of this increase that the gun has better recoil reduction and controllability. Some people don’t like the weight though......

I shoot a Shadow 2 now. And that is what I find too. More weigh at the front change the balance of the pistol.

I shoot classic, standard, and Open in major. 9 mm minor is already soft enough shooting.

Coming from those divisions, muzzle rise is not a huge deal to me compare to muzzle dip.

17 hours ago, Magictalent said:

I shoot classic, standard, and Open in major. 9 mm minor is already soft enough shooting.

Coming from those divisions, muzzle rise is not a huge deal to me compare to muzzle dip.

Muzzle dip happens as you are anticipating the recoil being used to heavier caliber guns. This is not uncommon, and it is why it is recommended shooting only one gun/one division. It is ok to switch, but not back and forth as there is too many variables between guns. Practice however will cure muzzle dip and you may find that when you do, that you will stick with the S2 as it is a very mild and nice shooting gun 

I got an S2, and whilst it was pretty accurate I couldn't get used to the new grip. Went back to the Shadow Orange and liked it better. I am not alone in this (by far...) So it's all a matter of preference. S2 maybe flatter for faster shooting, Shadow (Orange) transitions are faster and grips nicer... 

11 hours ago, abb1 said:

Muzzle dip happens as you are anticipating the recoil being used to heavier caliber guns. This is not uncommon, and it is why it is recommended shooting only one gun/one division. It is ok to switch, but not back and forth as there is too many variables between guns. Practice however will cure muzzle dip and you may find that when you do, that you will stick with the S2 as it is a very mild and nice shooting gun 

That is not what happen on me.

i don't drive the gun, so I am a lot slower then other top guys. I ride the recoil, so I can switch divisions and guns easy. Because I only have one consistent grip.

With the the same amount of energy moving back and forward, the gun will come back to the original point.

if the gun is balanced under the trigger guard, Load and spring match correctly, the gun will shoot itself.

S2 is front heavy, so shooter need to fight it with extra force. And 8-9 lbs recoil spring are recommended.

On 2/28/2018 at 1:55 PM, Kurusty said:

I did the opposite, Target to S2, back to Target. Just because I like the balance of the Target more. You can't go wrong with either though.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I had two SP-01 Shadows, a target I use for PROD and a target that I had milled for CO. I bought an S2 right away. Great Gun. However not greater enough. If I never had any SP-01s I would just go for the S2. But for me to learn a slightly different grip between the two variations wasn’t worth it to me. I quickly sold it and bought more ammo. 

If if I ever wear out my SP-01s, I may have to get two S2s. 

After having shot a S2, I don't think the benefit is there. Is it nice? Yes. Is it so nice that it's worth the $1600 in gun, holster, parts upgrades, and learning a whole new gun over again? Not to me.

I'd only get an S2 if I was starting from zero.