Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should Match Results Be Public?

EricW

I had added public results with First name/last initial. The links are currently at the top of the "Match Calendar" page - I'll add a more prominent link or rename "Match Calendar" to "Match Info" once this has been in use for a while.

The public area only shows results from 2004 on (many old results predate the EzWinScore results upload system), however, the full archive remains available in the members area.

As with anything, there is always a chance of a bug or two, so please email rob@boudrie.com if you find any.

Rob

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob,

I just went to look at the results from the 2003 OH Buckeye Blast.

I can't see the (click thru) results listed for the finals or the stages, by division.

This is what I get:

Years prior to 2004 available in members area only

Yet, I am signed in as a member, and accessed to pages thru the member area.

None of this is difficult - just a bunch of things which need to be done to put the new system in place.  I'm about 80% done, which is developer speak for about 50% done :).

Ahhh...that explains why the Local Match Results section of the members area is looking/acting strange right now. I thought maybe I was having a weird cookie/cacheing problem.

Rob,

I just went to look at the results from the 2003 OH Buckeye Blast.

I can't see the (click thru) results listed for the finals or the stages, by division.

This is what I get:

Years prior to 2004 available in members area only

Yet, I am signed in as a member, and accessed to pages thru the member area.

I also couldn't find the link to post local match results.

I fixed the problem viewing old years results from the members page.

The upload results link has alway sbeen on the "additional content" page, however, I have added a link to the results index page (the one where you go to choose a club to get local match results) to make this easier to find.

rob

I am happy that a first name last initial procedure has been implemented. I didn't know ahead of time that the squadding list would be out in the public area instead of behind the password protected members area. Had I known, I too would have requested that only my shooter number be used. There are more than a few shooters who because of circumstances (ex-spouses with restraining orders, stalkers, military op team members, etc) would prefer not to have their full name published.

I probably won't get to it for a while, but I will be doing the same thing with squadding system - first name/last initial only unless you are in the members area. The optional privacy flag will still be available to those wishing to hide their entire name from view by others.

As of now about 76% say "publish them," and the other 24% say no. With the exception of major matches that get publicity, don't those 24% have the right to keep their info private? Or put another way, shouldn't the 76% find a way to accomodate the wishes of the 24%?

If it sets anyone at ease, realize that the number of hits on our club & uspsa websites are very low. Google sorts first by exact word match and then by hits on the websites that have the exact match.

I plugged in eric nielsen and read 30 Google pages without ANY shooting results at all. They were all other people. Granted I've got a sorta common viking name, YMMV.

When you plug in a name AND a uspsa number, that's when you'll get the hits on the actual shooter. 2 pages for me, 6 when I hit "show similar pages".

A crook looking to burglarize [most of] us would need to know our number.

Many crooks are people you know.  (might not be friends, but they often know the victim)

Especially when it comes to guns, which is why you should have other security measures in addition to (relative) anonymity.

If you're going to be away for two weeks, it needs to look like you're still home. I really like my neighbors, when they're gone, their houses are totally dark inside and out and look unattended. Nothing like giving the local crack junkies low-hanging fruit so they'll avoid my place... :rolleyes:

If you think you are safe from burglars because your name is not on the web as a competitive shooter, you are fooling yourself. This is something I know about because I am the sergeant over the burglary unit for the Leon County Sheriff's Office (which you will see if you google the name "Larry Folsom").

Burglary is a crime of opportunity. Burglars are going to seek the easiest targets they can find. The more complicated thing about the scenario most people are mentioning would not be the "finding out the shooting schedule to predict when you are not home" part, but the "figuring out where your home is" part. The name without the address doesn't do much good. If they already know where you live, it would be easier just to watch your house and see when you leave. Like Flex said, burglaries are often commited by people you know.

If you've ever heard of the fire triangle (heat, fuel, and oxygen--remove one=no fire). Burglary has a similar triangle: Opportunity, Desire, and Ability. Some posts on this thread suggest our houses create more desire because of the guns (in Florida every house has guns). The knowledge of our shooting schedules creates the opportunity. That still leaves the lack of ability because they won't know where we live just because they see we placed 3rd in a shooting match.

I really like my neighbors, when they're gone, their houses are totally dark inside and out and look unattended.  Nothing like giving the local crack junkies low-hanging fruit so they'll avoid my place...   :rolleyes:

This hits the burglary prevention concept right on the head. Make your house more difficult to get into than your neighbor's house. They don't usually want in YOUR house. They just want in A house--the easiest house.

Yes, the comparative difficulty thing is my first line of defense. That is why three neighbors have been burgalarized in the last 5 years and I have been left alone. I have no foliage near the house. I am on a rise so my house stands alone and all sides are visible from the street. I have lights on all sides and along the fence line (My neighbors complain about how bright my outside night lights are). I have timers in every room doing random light patterns at night and I have an alarm system with signs advertising that fact. I always leave at least one car in the driveway even when my wife and I are gone. The window bars and heavy duty locks are pretty obvious too ;-)

Not quite as easy.  Feel free to look me up.  Pick the Larry Folsom that is me.  I'll give you a hint.  I don't, nor have I ever, lived on Nez Perce Trail.

Hmmm...how about WoodHill or Castleberry? 'Course I could just cruise either street and look for the '01 Blazer. Public record tax rolls to answer the question you're thinking. Unless there has been some hard scrubbing, the data is out there. For a LEO, I couldn't imagine not wanting to keep some ex-con from finding a home address. Along similar lines, I'm worried less about burglars than I am about stalkers and creepy ex's which for some of the female shooters may be a concern. Some people did learn to shoot for a reason.

Carina,

This is what happens when you don't call "Ex-Busters" sooner. :lol: I guarantee that after my cousins and I pay the Ex a little social visit, that he won't be re-visiting and will probably require depends undergarments to prevent unsightly stains.

Been there, done that, got the body armor... ;)

Not quite as easy.  Feel free to look me up.  Pick the Larry Folsom that is me.  I'll give you a hint.  I don't, nor have I ever, lived on Nez Perce Trail.

Hmmm...how about WoodHill or Castleberry? 'Course I could just cruise either street and look for the '01 Blazer. Public record tax rolls to answer the question you're thinking. Unless there has been some hard scrubbing, the data is out there. For a LEO, I couldn't imagine not wanting to keep some ex-con from finding a home address. Along similar lines, I'm worried less about burglars than I am about stalkers and creepy ex's which for some of the female shooters may be a concern. Some people did learn to shoot for a reason.

No Woodhill, No Castleberry. Not now. Not ever. The 01 Blazer is good though. My hat is off to you.

I'n not saying there is no way someone can find your address on the internet. I'm just saying that the average burglar is lazy and will just usually just break into houses he thinks he can get into easily. He won't waste time doing a lot of computer research when there are four or five houses in his own neighborhood he can get.

The thugs looking for revenge has always been more of a concern for me than the average burglar. I haven't done anything really fancy to keep my address secret. For most of my career, all the hard scrubbing of addresses in the world would have been undone by the shiny patrol car in my yard. That's kind of a dead giveaway.

• 1 month later...

A while back I started shooting local matches under a "nom de plume" or nom de boom! as I refer to it. My reasoning was as follows.

I have a relatively unusual name. If you google it you find one thing that's work related and a bunch of match results. As has been noted recently, googling someones name is commonly done during hiring processes and sometimes just for fun. I cant think of any way that my life is improved by having this info is out there, and the complications it could produce are significant a potentially likely. Is there really any reason to have results from a club match shot 6 years ago on the web?

Secondly, Its my impression that criminals are becoming increasingly hi-tech. [edit]

Thirdly, privacy is just getting harder and harder to maintain. It makes sense, to me at least, to take opportunities to stay below the radar when you can.

As far as the major matches go... perhaps next version of the scoring program they should add a feature that adds a "Nickname" field to the shooter database. The printing modules could be pointed towards the Nickname field as a default. If a shooter wants their real name published they just click the "Same as above box". If they want their name protected they can write in "Jose Alpha", "Baker Man", "Clay Flinger", or "Chuck Schumer". No harm no foul, everybody happy.

Edited by Flexmoney