Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help me spend my money - optics

Woodsk

I've never seen the nx8 1-8 first hand, but I've read the thread on it over in the snipershide riflescopes subforum.  I went ocd on the issue for a couple months this winter trying to figure out an optics shift for a couple rifles.  If you're considering the new Nightforce options that thread is a wealth of info.

From what I've read a lot of folks say that the nx8 is not so forgiving in the eyebox.  That's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things that a rifle scope can be used for, but that aspect is emphasized in the 3-gun world.  The pricier ATACR is (apparently, I've never seen it, just going off of what I've read from those who have seen it) more generous in the eyebox, but still with a smaller field of view than the razor and a much more difficult price tag.

In the end I found a deal that couldn't be refused on the

new lighter Razor 1-6.  I'm really liking it after coming from a pst 1-4.

Still, a part of me wonders what might have been.....

21 hours ago, bluegrasspicker said:

I've never seen the nx8 1-8 first hand, but I've read the thread on it over in the snipershide riflescopes subforum.  I went ocd on the issue for a couple months this winter trying to figure out an optics shift for a couple rifles.  If you're considering the new Nightforce options that thread is a wealth of info.

From what I've read a lot of folks say that the nx8 is not so forgiving in the eyebox.  That's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things that a rifle scope can be used for, but that aspect is emphasized in the 3-gun world.  The pricier ATACR is (apparently, I've never seen it, just going off of what I've read from those who have seen it) more generous in the eyebox, but still with a smaller field of view than the razor and a much more difficult price tag.

In the end I found a deal that couldn't be refused on the

new lighter Razor 1-6.  I'm really liking it after coming from a pst 1-4.

Still, a part of me wonders what might have been.....

Could you drop the link to that subforum, I searched and searched and could not find it for the life of me.

Sure, it's here...

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/just-released-nightforce-nx8-ffp-1-8x24mm-30mm-tube-atacr-f1-1-8x24mm-34mm-tube-models.6798633/

My tech skills are not the best, so if that doesn't work you go to snipershide, then click forums, then click on "rifle scopes," then the thread is usually in the top couple pages (a lot of interest in these!) called *JUST RELEASED* Nightforce.....

The thread's been going on for months, and several folks who are really into optics have shared their experiences.  

Enjoy!

I haven’t heard anyone mention the Burris XTR2 1x8 2nd focal plane. I currently have a Vortex Razor but shot my 3-Gun buddy’s AR with the Burris XTR2 and that extra 2x power of magnification made a significant difference at 200 yards, so I could only imagine beyond 200. Another great option to consider for the price point...

On 23.3.2018 at 4:20 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

In order ?   Are you saying the Z6i is better than the Z8i ?

Hi,

No, if going with a 1-6x then IMHO either the Z6i or the Kahles ( lets say one would get a good deal etc. )

But overall I would recommend the Z8i as the best one.

• 1 month later...

I'm happy with the Leupold VX-6HD 1-6.  I would like it to have a daylight bright dot, but other than that it has what I need for 3gun - my priorities are: big eyebox, reticle matches my loads almost perfectly, locking turrets (Originally I wished they were capped, but the locks work fine).

Light weight is a nice addition and one of the primary reasons I went with the Leupold over the Razor,  but it's not high on my priority list any more.

I've also shot the Steiner P4Xi in a few matches and I liked it also but some 6" plates at 280 yards in the rifle matches made me switch back to 1-6x.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have both the Razor HD Gen II 1-6 and the Viper PST Gen II 1-6. The Razor is on my 600+ yard 18" rifle and the Viper sits atop my 14.5" bay match rifle. They each have different purposes,  but I would have zero issue running the Viper well past 300 yards. It's very close to the Razor in quality, but you can tell the difference at max power.