Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Troubleshooting a Glock. At a loss...

PrimaryBruce

I've got a customers Glock here that of the years I've been milling, gunsmithing, etc Glocks...I can't think of what's going on with.

He bought one of our slides which are milled from blanks. By absolutely every measurement I can get to with mics, the slide is 100% in spec against several OEM slides. (And if it were out of spec, it would be the first in hundreds we've sold that was.) Upon test firing, the gun has a dead trigger on second shot...EVERY time. If I hand cycle the slide, the trigger resets and the gun will fire a single round. It will feed the next round with zero issues, gun is 100% in battery, etc. But trigger is dead (didn't reset) again. This happens EVERY time on the second shot. The frame is 100% stock. 

I don't know what the hell is going on with it... Frame is 100% stock and I have double and triple checked that he had everything assembled properly in case he ever messed with anything and re installed something wrong. 

Cliffs:

- Gun will fire first round

- Gun will feed second round perfectly fine, 100% in battery

- Trigger is dead (no reset) on the second round EVERY time

- Hand cycle and the gun will spit the unfired round out, trigger will reset, and gun will fire fine

- repeat the above...lol

Edited by PrimaryBruce

I've seen this before, but not on a Glock (never even have had one apart). In this instance the culprit was an improper sear interface. The angle was wrong and the sear wouldn't catch on a normal firing cycle, but would catch at the slower hand racking cycle. Just a thought, your description reminded me of that time when I was going nuts trying to figure it out. Good luck

7 minutes ago, Bkreutz said:

I've seen this before, but not on a Glock (never even have had one apart). In this instance the culprit was an improper sear interface. The angle was wrong and the sear wouldn't catch on a normal firing cycle, but would catch at the slower hand racking cycle. Just a thought, your description reminded me of that time when I was going nuts trying to figure it out. Good luck

Something like this is exactly what I was thinking. He's got an aftermarket striker in it. (I don't know what brand). But the striker face that catches the crucible isn't shaped exactly like an OEM striker. I didn't have an OEM striker with me when I tested the gun, but I think the next step is to put an OEM one in and see if that cures it.

Try putting all the slide parts in an oem slide, if it does it there’s something wrong with the aftermarket slide.  Get a glock armorers plate then you can see the relationship of striker to cruciform.  If he has an 6 lb. trigger spring sometimes it won’t reset the trigger, but that should happen on every round.  Anytime anything goes wrong with s glock somebody is screwing with or changing parts.  By the way I might be sending my 17 to you to cut the slide for a delta pro optic.

mentioned above are possiblities, the connector could also require a little tweak. of course quick and simple is if your questioning the slide slap another on for a quick check. doubtful its the slide, but start replacing one piece at a time until the problem is eliminated, may require a combination of parts changes/alterations.

2 hours ago, atmar said:

trigger is not resetting...... improper trigger job......... the glock trigger job is about finding the right balance......try thinning the connector it might help

Frame internals are 100% stock. That was the first thing I checked.

I would try the slide on another frame first. If that works you know it is something with the original frame. 

If it doesn’t work on the 2nd frame you know it is the slide or internal parts. Then put all oem parts in the slide and try again. If it works it’s aftermarket parts, if not it’s the slide.

For some reason the trigger bar is not engaging the striker as the slide goes forward.  I've seen it do this from

weak disconnector,  too much grease on the trigger bar/disconnector,  a poorly modified striker hook, and

a sloppy fit between the slide and frame rails.   Put a cutaway rear plate on the slide and watch what's going on.

There is no part in a Glock called a disconnector or a striker. And Glock uppers don't care how much slop there is between the slide grooves and the frame rails, they are not 1911s.  But It's still not a slide problem, it's an aftermarket firing pin and connector issue. Do you have an OEM Glock lower to try it on? 

I didn't try the AM striker in another slide.  If it doesn't work with OEM we have an issue. We're not going to burn time troubleshooting an aftermarket part that may or may not be in spec. And in this case certainly points to the aftermarket striker being out of spec.