Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo for Limited

This one is tough to search for as I believe the Tango Limited is where people start with a Limited Division gun.  Its also been a little rough figuring out the models from the web.  so here goes:

1. My initial guess is that the Tango Limited is SAO and the starting point of a Limited Division pistol

2. What are the 'standard' modifications people do to get the gun competition ready?  Aka what is stock trigger pull?  What is stock reliability?  Keep the magwell?

3. Mags.  Coming from 1911s I know quality mags solve 90% of issues.  What are the mag options for solid 20 round (the standard I am guessing) magazines.

Why tanfo?  My stock 2 is a boss gun, and I understand these are similar (not exact).  TS Orange is the new hotness, but I am also know Tango is a good option plus getting one  in stainless.

TYIA

1)  It's the most LTD-ready model, and it's what I use.

2)  Several different questions: 

• Stock reliability is generally good.  Like all Tanfos, there's a chance you will have to tweak something that is slightly wrong, but there's not something that universally has to be done, nor are they generally "project" guns out of the box.  
  • Stock trigger pull is surely all over the place.  The example I got had lots of creep.  That's not universal, but it's not unusual.  Again, Tanfos tend to have more gun-to-gun variance than, say, a Glock.  (As you already know.)  In had someone clean up the sear/hammer interface.  I have not otherwise messed with spring weights.  
  • Modifications I made:
    • Replaced grip panels.  I wanted thinner grips, went with Henning checkered.  The stock wood grips are FAT.  Personal preference.  
    • Replaced magwell with Henning magwell.  Stock one is perfectly good, but Henning is a little bigger and helps contribute to gripping the gun.  OTOH, the stock one has a cutout at the front that enables "propping" the gun upright on unloaded table starts where the MD didn't say "gun unpropped in any way."  So you could go either way on that.
    • Replaced the front sight with a smaller fiber dot.  Had a smaller dot on prior guns, didn't like the fat fiber that came stock.  Pure preference.
    • Added a thumb rest.  DAA adjustable until I broke it, now IPSC Alex.  Only relevant if you want to try a thumb rest!
    • Henning flat trigger.  This is not so much because it improves the trigger during shooting (it's nice, but the stock one is fine, too), but because it is SO much easier to re-install when you tear down the frame for cleaning or maintenance.  If you're already used to putting Tanfo triggers back in the frame, you may think this is NBD.  
    • Henning guide rod, because I've done that with all my Tanfos.  No idea whether this actually improves frame life as claimed.  
    • I whittled the bottom of the safety a bit (it was biting into the top of my left thumb) and the slide release (I was bumping it).  No new parts, just a dremel and some sandpaper and flitz.  
    • I think that's about it.

3)  Factory/mecgar tubes are great.  Use those, then throw in grams spring/follower kits and Henning's 141 basepads.  Boom, done.  No crazy tuning nonsense.  

Edited by ATLDave

If you are worried about trigger work and having to play around to get a gun running look at the CZ Tactical Sports in .40.  Both of mine are under 2lbs stock.  CZ Custom for magwell, grips, extensions, mag springs, FO front and you're done.  LOK makes a few different G10 grips.  Under $1100 and a couple hundred more ready to run.

12 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

If you are worried about trigger work and having to play around to get a gun running look at the CZ Tactical Sports in .40.  Both of mine are under 2lbs stock.  CZ Custom for magwell, grips, extensions, mag springs, FO front and you're done.  LOK makes a few different G10 grips.  Under $1100 and a couple hundred more ready to run.

You sir, are the devil =)

Been looking up on the TS as well.  Definitely a viable alternative now that I cleared up the dif between TS and TSO.

TS feel different in the hand.  I know of several shooters who sent their TS in for frame grinding back before the TSO came out.  The TSO comes closer to the Tanfo frame feel.  The TS is closer than a Glock or 2011, but not the same.  Worth seeing whether you can cop a feel of one somewhere.  

Edited by ATLDave

36 minutes ago, ATLDave said:

TS feel different in the hand.  I know of several shooters who sent their in for frame grinding back before the TSO came out.  The TSO comes closer to the Tanfo frame feel.  The TS is closer than a Glock or 2011, but not the same.  Worth seeing whether you can cop a feel of one somewhere.  

Correct on the feel.  I've put the thinnest grips on mine and I love how it feels.  The factory wood grips are worthless and way too thick.  When I had my Gold Custom I had Henning grips on it and it was a little different.  

6 hours ago, Crazy Scientist said:

This one is tough to search for as I believe the Tango Limited is where people start with a Limited Division gun.  Its also been a little rough figuring out the models from the web.  so here goes:

1. My initial guess is that the Tango Limited is SAO and the starting point of a Limited Division pistol

2. What are the 'standard' modifications people do to get the gun competition ready?  Aka what is stock trigger pull?  What is stock reliability?  Keep the magwell?

3. Mags.  Coming from 1911s I know quality mags solve 90% of issues.  What are the mag options for solid 20 round (the standard I am guessing) magazines.

Why tanfo?  My stock 2 is a boss gun, and I understand these are similar (not exact).  TS Orange is the new hotness, but I am also know Tango is a good option plus getting one  in stainless.

TYIA

I run a Gold Match Xtreme, my first match gun was a TS, the TS trigger was lighter but, as I have gotten better the trigger weight has become pretty trivial.

The TS and TSO have better triggers.  I prefer the original TS fixed rear sight over the Tanfo or TSO rear sight.

The Tanfo Limited has a better hand feel than either the TS or TSO in my opinion.  Especially with EGD grips.

The trigger guard has a better profile and width, circumference, and checkering are better on the Tanfo.

Several 2011 variants have reproduced the Tanfo grip (well the ergo and feel at least).  Nothing feels exactly as nice as the Tanfo competition frame though in my opinion.

I am about to build a limited elite for a back up match gun.

I am only buying EGD grips, Henning magwell, cone fit guide rod, Dawson front sight, EGD semi flat trigger.

Polishing the action is worth far more than any upgrade.

The trigger is not really needed but I want it to feel the same as my other gun.

Edited by billthemarine2862

1 minute ago, tattooo said:
32 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:
Love Tanfo's! New model is superb! New trigger not so far from TS...
5a7747875c472_IMG_51592.thumb.JPG.71ea32b038268c92c2a0804b96e98341.JPG

Very nice tanfo !

Thanks. This one is in 9mm, 2nd underway in .40 from Grauffel... the black one..

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:56 AM, Crazy Scientist said:

1. My initial guess is that the Tango Limited is SAO and the starting point of a Limited Division pistol.

I shoot UPSPA Limited Division and switched from a modified G22 to an Elite Limited Custom (in 40 S&W) late last season.  For the most part, this is an out-of-the box, ready for completion gun.  I installed a Dawson fiber optic front site, Henning magwell, and EGD grips.  I also polished some parts like the feed ramp and breach face.  Trigger pull is right out 4.25 lbs and very smooth.

I recently got the Limited in .40. Picked one up used for a good deal, and it has some nice henning parts on it.

Really liking it after about 500 rounds. I am disappointed by the checkering. It is not sharp and it is inferior to the TSO on the checkering and for fit and finish. Trigger guard is sharp and chews up my finger. Safety could fillet a salmon!

But its cheaper. So a little file work here and there should smooth up the rough edges.

I feel like I get a higher grip than on my TSO. The flatter higher trigger guard is the reason. It’s a nice gun and I am feeling good about it.

• 1 month later...

I started with a Glock 17 in limited getting my feet wet and moved to the Limited Custom 40 and love it, lots of Henning parts, and a sweet gun. I now own 2 of them, one for me and one for my son. The Limted Custom is setup for limited with the magwell and with Henning $100 flat drop in trigger it's hard to beat.  The Stock 2 or 3 are perfect production guns!

The Limited is an excellent limited division pistol. Mine ran well out of the box but the trigger left a little to be desired. I simply polished and put in some basic parts and was happy.

Ext FP

Thinner Front sight (dawson)

PD springs

Is about all you really need along with some base pads, good mags, and Grams spring kits. I had to do absolutely ZERO tuning to my mags.

I suggest ditching the factory magwell but it will get you by. It is aluminum and if you dry fire as much as I do, it will get ugly quick.

With Patriot Defense pumping out new stuff all the time the options are expanding.

The PD extended firing pin, optimized spring set (trigger return, sear,  firing pin return and 15.5 hammer) will make it dead reliable.  polish the trigger bow and the lifter (every part, inside and out until moving it is without any zipper feel). That will really improve the feel. Follow memphisMechanic video tutorial for full polishing should you want even better. These parts and polishing will give at or under 3# once it's broke in.

Base pads... i use Taylor Freelance,  but the Henning one are good too.  I'd like to try the PD ones when they come out.