Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Similarity.....?

konkapot

Bought a Shadow 2 and love it. Will be acquiring a back up gun; is there enough commonality between and Shadow 2 and a Shadow or Stock iii to have one of these (cheaper) guns as a back up?

New to these platform(s) so be gentle.

There is a weight difference between the Shadow 2 and a SP-01 with a small difference between the width. The Stock 2 would come closer in grip size. I have a Shadow 2 and SP-01 and have Bogie palm swell grips and make the width similar. Enjoy the sport and savor the addiction.

The Shadow 2 is based off of the 75 series design.  While not exactly the same most full size, metal 75 series pistols will be similar to the  S2.  Price range is $450-600, depending on model.  Another benefit of getting a SP01 or other 75 series pistol is that most of your parts will interchange also; not so much with the Stock 2.

If you want identical, you'll need to get another S2.

13 hours ago, konkapot said:

Bought a Shadow 2 and love it. Will be acquiring a back up gun; is there enough commonality between and Shadow 2 and a Shadow or Stock iii to have one of these (cheaper) guns as a back up?

New to these platform(s) so be gentle.

Personally, I do not believe that you will ever need a back up gun with a Shadow 2, or a Shadow for that matter. Having back up guns is a normality in Open class where you are using ammunition loaded above specs creating high pressures limiting the life span of the guns components. Your Shadow 2 will probably outlast you....

Edited by abb1

9 hours ago, Polymer said:

You need to buy the same exact gun for backup. 

I can't ever imagine having a backup gun that is NOT the identical model. I also do my best to ensure they're set up as closely as I can.

7 hours ago, abb1 said:

Personally, I do not believe that you will ever need a back up gun with a Shadow 2, or a Shadow for that matter. Having back up guns is a normality in Open class where you are using ammunition loaded above specs creating high pressures limiting the life span of the guns components. Your Shadow 2 will probably outlast you....

Perhaps I just have bad luck, however in the last several years I have experienced- sights launching themselves into the stratosphere,  broken trigger return spring, firing pin & spring assembly eject themselves from the upper and case/head separation, leaving the case in the barrel.  These were all on non-Open guns. 

Provided you can find all the parts (in the case of spontaneous ejection), these repairs are doable in the field.  I prefer to have an extra/backup just in case, so I'm not gunsmithing under pressure, on the clock.  If I'm traveling for 4+ hours to a major match, you better believe I'll bring some sort (perhaps not identical model) of backup gun

4 hours ago, Sliv2 said:

I can't ever imagine having a backup gun that is NOT the identical model. I also do my best to ensure they're set up as closely as I can.

Ideally yes, some of us less well off folks just have to 'make do' :)

4 hours ago, 858 said:

It's not a back up if it's different.

In the absence of having an identical spare pistol, I'll take one that is relatively close. 

No reason a SP01 cannot be a backup to a Shadow.  Or a Shadow 2 a backup to a Shadow1, or Shadow backup to accu-Shadow, or TS backup to TSO, etc. etc. etc.

Edited by muncie21

17 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Perhaps I just have bad luck, however in the last several years I have experienced- sights launching themselves into the stratosphere,  broken trigger return spring, firing pin & spring assembly eject themselves from the upper and case/head separation, leaving the case in the barrel.  These were all on non-Open guns. 

Was this with CZ's? I am just wondering. The majority of production shooters at our club use CZ Shadows, and now mostly shadow 2's. I have NEVER seen one break in practice or a match. There is nothing wrong though with being over cautious, as you are right, there is nothing worse than travelling for a major shoot and then have your gun break. I personally would have the same gun for back up as although the ergonomics are close, the grip is slightly thicker, and there is a big difference in weight which could affect your transitioning. 

Unless you're a really high-end and high stakes competitor, your backup is mainly there so you won't have to go home if your primary goes down.  Nice to have a backup that's at least reasonably close, and carry a small spare parts kit.  

Production guns have their share of issues too. Perhaps less than others but it can happen.

For those familiar with the process, would you rather try and change out a TRS at the safe table, in the sun, under time pressure or would you rather just switch to an SP01 (even if you were shooting an S2)?

I know what I’d rather do.

I’ve just switched to PD and plan to use a borrowed SP01 as my backup for Nats this year in case my S2 goes down. Previous I’ve taken a TS (admittedly setup almost identically) to backup a TSO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/28/2018 at 4:34 PM, abb1 said:

Was this with CZ's? I am just wondering. The majority of production shooters at our club use CZ Shadows, and now mostly shadow 2's. I have NEVER seen one break in practice or a match. There is nothing wrong though with being over cautious, as you are right, there is nothing worse than travelling for a major shoot and then have your gun break. I personally would have the same gun for back up as although the ergonomics are close, the grip is slightly thicker, and there is a big difference in weight which could affect your transitioning. 

update for today .

i saw 5  broken sh2 .and another 2 have same crack signs to finish in recycling bin of cz factory.;)

we don't use sh2  in the club anymore.

maybe they send good batch of sh2  to U.S. and U.S. shooters have more lack .(maybe they afraid from  D.T. u.s. president):lol:

Edited by yigal

I have always had backup guns, and never needed one. I prefer to change parts to switching guns, but for some parts that is impossible. If your frame, slide, sights or barrel break, you're screwed if you don't have a backup gun. Some people would rather switch guns than change certain parts (TRS, extractor, mag catch spring), so I guess it depends on how comfortable you are in taking the gun apart and putting it back together at a match. 

The big advantage for me in having identical guns, is that all the parts you buy can be used in both guns and you can even cannibalize one gun for the sake of the other. For this reason alone I would go with identical guns if you are serious about competing at a high level. The $300 of additional cost of a second S2 over a Stock III or Shadow will make your life a lot easier. 

PS, a backup gun is no guarantee to keep you from tanking a match due to equipment failure. If your TRS breaks halfway through a long course, you will not win the match. So keeping your main gun in excellent condition is the most important. 

For this reason, I use my backup gun in dryfire and training, and only use my match gun for matches and a few training sessions before an important match. 

1 minute ago, spook said:

I have always had backup guns, and never needed one. I prefer to change parts to switching guns, but for some parts that is impossible. If your frame, slide, sights or barrel break, you're screwed if you don't have a backup gun. Some people would rather switch guns than change certain parts (TRS, extractor, mag catch spring), so I guess it depends on how comfortable you are in taking the gun apart and putting it back together at a match. 

The big advantage for me in having identical guns, is that all the parts you buy can be used in both guns and you can even cannibalize one gun for the sake of the other. For this reason alone I would go with identical guns if you are serious about competing at a high level. The $300 of additional cost of a second S2 over a Stock III or Shadow will make your life a lot easier. 

PS, a backup gun is no guarantee to keep you from tanking a match due to equipment failure. If your TRS breaks halfway through a long course, you will not win the match. So keeping your main gun in excellent condition is the most important. 

For this reason, I use my backup gun in dryfire and training, and only use my match gun for matches and a few training sessions before an important match. 

right decision  .

u always need exactly the same  backup gun .;)