Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square Deal B - Sizing die alignment and bullet shaving

I've got a SDB and I've never had brass do this coming out of my sizing die.  However, every few pieces of brass (maybe every 5th to 10th), the ram stops at the lip of the brass in the first stage.  I never force the handle down as you probably have, but instead reach my right index finger in and press the shell the last 3 microns in, which makes it go into the sizing die.  I've never run any other presses, so I don't know if this is common across all loaders, or maybe a SDB quirk.  The brass just doesn't always go all the way in, under the shell plate.

But, gosh darn, never force the handle down when encountering unexpected resistance!!!!

2 hours ago, CHLChris said:

I've got a SDB and I've never had brass do this coming out of my sizing die.  However, every few pieces of brass (maybe every 5th to 10th), the ram stops at the lip of the brass in the first stage.  I never force the handle down as you probably have, but instead reach my right index finger in and press the shell the last 3 microns in, which makes it go into the sizing die.  I've never run any other presses, so I don't know if this is common across all loaders, or maybe a SDB quirk.  The brass just doesn't always go all the way in, under the shell plate.

But, gosh darn, never force the handle down when encountering unexpected resistance!!!!

I addressed this a few times but yeah, obviously forcing the handle down isn't the best idea. It was more of a demonstration after the first two cases.

The problem you describe about the cases hanging up on the lip is what I'm trying to address. It's not the end of the world, but it's not something I encounter with my 650, and it really slows my loading down as I'm anticipating needing to stop and adjust the case with every pull. As I mentioned, the solution for now is riding my finger on the case during insertion but a less manual solution would be swell.

5 hours ago, matteekay said:

I addressed this a few times but yeah, obviously forcing the handle down isn't the best idea. It was more of a demonstration after the first two cases.

The problem you describe about the cases hanging up on the lip is what I'm trying to address. It's not the end of the world, but it's not something I encounter with my 650, and it really slows my loading down as I'm anticipating needing to stop and adjust the case with every pull. As I mentioned, the solution for now is riding my finger on the case during insertion but a less manual solution would be swell.

I know light and camera angles can make things look different from the way they really are but in your pics the press looked dirty.  Specifically the area under the shellplate looks like there is some sort of buildup.  Have you tried a thorough cleaning?  I know you said it had been recently serviced but it sure does look like there is some sort of fouling on the press.

I know light and camera angles can make things look different from the way they really are but in your pics the press looked dirty.  Specifically the area under the shellplate looks like there is some sort of buildup.  Have you tried a thorough cleaning?  I know you said it had been recently serviced but it sure does look like there is some sort of fouling on the press.

I did, yes. Somewhere in the thread, lol.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Well, I found one potential issue. This is the seater die that was installed on the SDB:

25324661658_6e103ece4d_z.jpg

Unless I'm missing something, it sure looks like it's meant for semiwadcutters. Can anyone confirm?

Unfortunately, it's the only one I have (bought the press used - curse the confidence given by Dillon's lifetime warranty, lol). Does anyone have a part number on the round nose version if this isn't it?

The round nose stems are distinctly rounded on the inside. I've used the flat nose stem with RN bullets, and that leaves a round indentation on the plated bullets that I've been using.

Sometimes I need to make extra sure that the case is fully inserted into the first station of the shell plate.

The dies are fixed into a plate at the top. Not sure if there's any wiggle room in the plate installation. Somebody suggested tightening dies while there's shells in them. What about loosening the four bolts that hold the plate and tightening them while there's shells in the dies?

Isn't every bullet seating die shaped like an inverted truncated cone?  I've heard that they are seated by pressing down on the shoulder of the bullet, anyway, and not the nose.  I've never seen any seating die shape other than the one you are showing in the photo above...

Installed the RN stem yesterday - what a difference! No more shaving near the top of the bullet and almost none at the base. I actually seated, pulled, and re-seated the same bullet four times and saw less coating shaved off than I typically saw after seating a bullet once with the SWC stem.

On 12/24/2017 at 11:23 PM, matteekay said:

Installed the RN stem yesterday - what a difference! No more shaving near the top of the bullet and almost none at the base. I actually seated, pulled, and re-seated the same bullet four times and saw less coating shaved off than I typically saw after seating a bullet once with the SWC stem.

Didn't I tell you that on the 18?

The seating die rod is double faced, for flat nose or round nose bullets. It has to fit the right way.

Yup, thanks for the confirmation. The righthand one was installed, the left is what I replaced it with.

We'll see how long I run 45 on the SDB. I thought L-10 was going to be a "once in awhile" division and that the 650 was going to be 80% .38 Special with the occasional 9mm run... all of a sudden, I'm shooting 9mm in both SS and Revo and going to the .45 more and more (it does wonderous things to bowling pins). The best laid plans of mice and men...

• 2 years later...

I never solved that part.

The shaving issue got better with the correct stem, but I still saw enough of it at the base that I eventually changed to FMJ bullets. Then sold the SDB and ordered the 45 conversion kit for my 650, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Howdy!

I finally had a chance to try out the .45 ACP SDB I picked up from a member here (fresh off a servicing from Dillon). I really like it but I'm having two issues.

The first is that my brass doesn't want to align with the sizer die. On about 7 of 10 pulls, the casing enters the die and binds. I can work it into the right spot by hand and complete the pull, but obviously that's not a very effective way to run the press. Attempting to do it by force has the results you'd expect...

24180490777_941e1a9ff1_b.jpg

The other thing I'm running into is the seater die shaving the finish off my bullets. It's occurring in the same spot to about 1/2 or 1/3 of the rounds I run off. When it does, it looks like there's a ring-shaped indentation in the top of the bullet:

39010078962_6d6d226fb8_b.jpg

I am straightening the bullet as much as possible before seating.

Any thoughts on either would be hugely appreciated!

I was having the same problems with my SDB, sold it and bought a new RL550C, I’m much happier now..