Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trubor accuracy problem

Lstand

I recently purchased a used Trubor from a friend and have had a strange accuracy problems with it. When shooting from a rest the first shot is always low and left, very consistently. I have tried replacing the slide stop with an oversized one which did seem to "tighten up" the barrel lockup. I have also tried different sized links. The slide stop pin seemed to help some, the first shot was initially about 6 inches low and left at 12 yards, it then went to about 3. After a few hundred rounds it is getting a bit closer but still way off. Its obviously some sort of problem that is only happening when manually releasing the slide that is not happening when the slide cycles in recoil. 

Any advice?

Thanks

Massad Ayoob has been preaching for many decades that auto shooters suffer from this

first shot miss phenomenon.

I've never heard about 6" at 12 yards, though.

How is the accuracy of the remaining shots?  Can you fire a 2" group at 25 yards, from

a bench, of course without the first shot?  Or is the gun at fault?

Jack, after the first shot the groups are pretty acceptable. The thrown first shot is actually pretty consistent about where it goes as well. 3 5 shot groups at around 15 yards yielded 2 ragged holes. The Trubor I bought from you had excellent accuracy so I know its possible.

Eric off the rest my own inaccuracy came into play some so it was harder to tell exactly.

Hello: The first shot maybe off since the first round may not be going into battery the same way as the others after the first shot. Pull the slide back all the way to the back for the first shot, don't just drop the slide with the slide stop. See if that makes any difference? Thanks, Eric

5 hours ago, Lstand said:

I recently purchased a used Trubor from a friend and have had a strange accuracy problems with it. When shooting from a rest the first shot is always low and left, very consistently. I have tried replacing the slide stop with an oversized one which did seem to "tighten up" the barrel lockup. I have also tried different sized links. The slide stop pin seemed to help some, the first shot was initially about 6 inches low and left at 12 yards, it then went to about 3. After a few hundred rounds it is getting a bit closer but still way off. Its obviously some sort of problem that is only happening when manually releasing the slide that is not happening when the slide cycles in recoil. 

Any advice?

Thanks

Ask your friend if he had the same problem.

OK here's my last witch craft thing I can think of

Is the trigger pull weight consistent no matter how the hammer gets cocked?

Rack slide pull trigger

cock hammer pull trigger

with hammer down trigger pulled rack slide reset trigger then pull trigger

Massad Ayoob is correct that it is not unusual for some guns to have the first shot go wild. It's that first hand cycled round that does not lock up like the remaining ones that are cycled by firing.

I shoot lots from a Ransom Rest. With some guns, the first shot might or might not be wild - even in a seemingly tight gun. With one of my guns, the first shot is ALWAYS several inches from the rest of the group - and in the same location.

For this reason, many folks who shoot with a Ransom Rest will fire the first (hand cycled) round into the berm. 

I don't know if that is the cause behind what you're seeing, but it's not impossible. 

9 minutes ago, Lstand said:

Did it only happen when you shot from a rest? 

There should be no difference if shot from a rest or hand held.  The advantage of the rest is that it eliminates human-induced error, thereby demonstrating the mechanical effects of parts alignment. 

7 hours ago, Lstand said:

Jack, The Trubor I bought from you had excellent accuracy so I know its possible.

Welcome aboard, Lamar.

Glad to hear you're happy with my TruBor   :)

Sorry, can't think of any other possibilities to solve your problem with the first shot going wild (consistently).

Jack

Hopefully I can help. Had exactly the same problem with my wife’s brand new Trubor. First shot off a rest or off-hand, didn’t matter...always 3” to the right of POA at 25 yds. Then every other round dead center POA. Videoed it with three 10 round strings out of three magazines. Printed one 3 round group at 3” to the right and one 27 round group dead center the bullseye. 

Checked slide stop, barrel feet engagement, and barrel hood lockup. The barrel hood had tons of slop in the breech face cutout. Sent the gun to STI and they replaced the slide AND barrel. Problem solved....

YMMV