Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

suspect a 650 in my future

I'm suspecting a 650 from my wife for Christmas. I have 2 SDB's. We stopped at Dillon last month when in Phoenix and I was eyeing a 650. The new Dillon monthly magazine that came a couple days ago has disappeared, my password to the Dillon site has been changed and she came into my reloading room yesterday grinning!

I have a few questions.

I load mostly pistol and have RCBS carbide dies for all of my pistol calibers. Can I use those or will I need to re-buy Dillon or another brand?

I want to set up EZ caliber changes so I will need die plates for each caliber. Is there a source other than Dillon for these?

I'm sure I will want a bullet feeder and a case feeder in the future. Again a source, Dillon or other? Which one first?

I have 2 SDB's so I could set one up for large primer and the other for small. How difficult is a primer size change on the 650?

I'll have the 2 SDB's for sale and should be able to generate funds from them for my purchases.

Thanks for any help!

Paul

You can use any standard dies.

Other people make some of the parts but it's one stop shopping to get the caliber conversions and quick changes at Dillon.

If you don't get a case feeder you will be unhappy.  Get a case feeder.  The bullet feeder can wait till you get everything else setup and feel confident with the press.

Changing primer sizes on a 650 is easy.  It's just a few small parts that you swap out.  That being said I do have two 550's, one for small and one for large, and I use the 650 just for small pistol.

It is my understanding that the SDB uses dies specific to the SDB, but I thought those were only made by Dillon and you mentioned RCBS. You can use any standard die on the 650. I use Lee, Redding, and Dillon.

For other places to order stuff, I use Graf & Sons. They have $7.50 flat rate shipping and carry pretty much everything except some of the Dillon dies.

I don't have a bullet feeder so I can't comment on that. I would highly recommend the case feeder as the case tube can only hold ~20 cases. I reloaded on my 650 for a week then ordered the case feeder.

I only reload ammo with small primers so I don't know how difficult it is to swap. I do know you can buy the entire primer assembly and just swap that, which I heard is easier.

Edited by EliteGuard

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

The 650 should include a case feeder because it’s really not made to be used without one in my opinion. 

This. Not much point in having the 650 without the case feeder. Just get one. You won't be sorry.

I have purchased several new after market tool heads for my 650 from Ebay.  They will run you about $20/shipped today, as compared to $30 + shipping from Dillon.  Never had a problem with the after market ones.  Now keep in mind I don't reload for bullseye.

For caliber conversions or just ease of switching powder and/or bullets, I have separate tool heads setup with dies and powder funnel and powder drop for the calibers I reload/tinker with frequently.  If you go this route, it makes sense to purchase the quick change kit from Dillon (or Grafs) which includes: Powder die, powder measure, tool head and stand for $112.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...