Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40rd Mag Rebuild Today

Hey gang,

Picked up a PMI 40rd mag today, then tossed the spring and the follower in the garbage can! Replaced the spring with an ISMI dedicated 40 rounder, and the follower with a MagPull anti-tilt follower (the brown ones)...haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet, but was wondering if anyone else has tried the same with any decent results?

Yep.

You might have to adjust the latch to get the magazine to lock in at the right height in the mag well, and polish the magazine body to get it to drop free. Sometimes they work out of the box, sometimes you have to work a bit.

Alex

Yep.

You might have to adjust the latch to get the magazine to lock in at the right height in the mag well, and polish the magazine body to get it to drop free.  Sometimes they work out of the box, sometimes you have to work a bit.

Ditto, I had the exact same experience before I went with the Beta Mag.

• 7 months later...
Hey gang,

Picked up a PMI 40rd mag today, then tossed the spring and the follower in the garbage can! Replaced the spring with an ISMI dedicated 40 rounder, and the follower with a MagPull anti-tilt follower (the brown ones)...haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet, but was wondering if anyone else has tried the same with any decent results?

Another thing you need to watch - mag OAL.

There's a WIDE variation in overall lengths of 40's out there, and some won't seat but 37 or 38 rounds with the MagPul follower.

I've had terrific luck with Triple K 40's with MagPuls and ISMI springs, but I've a box full of others' I've abandoned...

Yep, what n2ipsc said. Mine holds 38 with the magpul follower. I would have liked to have 40, but 38 is better than 30 and not near as costly as a c mag. I know that the 38 will function perfectly through my gun. I guess I could cut down the legs on the mag pull and get the extra 2 in, but why mess with something that is totally reliable right now and risk losing some reliability. I would rather make a mag change.

Old Blind Squirrel

Got a real Sterling that holds 41 with gray MagPul follower and standard spring and works fine. And a PMI that holds 40 with gray Magpul and standard spring and works too. And just realized there was a stage last weekend I could have used a 40 and saved a reload... :angry:

Ive played around with several of these and never got one that was 100%. A couple were til match time and that sucks. Ive had pretty good luck with the plastic expandables in warm weather( Ive broke 3, every one below 50 degrees). A while back Randy Luth(DPMS) sent us some of the new 45s to try. We sent the first batch back. Then we got the new, improved, better ones. These things are rock solid good. Ive got about 300rds thru the one Ive got and it hasnt bobbled once. Expensive, but worth it.-------Larry

• 2 months later...

Where are ya'll getting these 45 rounders from DPMS? I've been mulling around their website and can't seem to find them. They for the "elite"?! Haha.

How about the other manufacturers? Would someone post a link to where they can be obtained, because I'd kinda like to try one out.

One more thing, regarding Bevin Grams, does he sell complete mags, or do you need to send him a body and he supplies the internals+upgrade?

• 1 month later...

Okay. So Brownell's is out of the ISMI 40-round springs. Anyone ever use any of Tubb's Speedlock mag springs before? He's got springs designed for 40 round mags and for all I know they could be made by ISMI, but want to know what y'all think.

Thanks,

Rich

This may sound like a silly question, but why not just use a beta mag when the round count is high on a stage for rifle???

Why not spend some money on a good beta mag, if such a thing exsists??? lol

use the 30s normally, and if ya think that your guna have to reload, then slap on the beta mag.???

I dont get it. why frig around with a 40 or 45 rounder???

Is it a rules thing???

I dont get it. why frig around with a 40 or 45 rounder???

Is it a rules thing???

It's not a rules thing. A Bushmaster 40 rounder costs 25 bucks. A beta mag costs $200. If you can get the 40 rounder working dependably, then you don't need a beta mag. There are enough COF that require just over 30 rounds to make the 40 rounder inviting. Plus, I'm broke after building an AR this winter and buying a Benelli last month. The beta mag just isn't in the budget right now.

The Beta Mag is too heavy fully loaded. I purchased the version that has clear plastic in front , so you can see visually how many rounds are left. You could load 36-50 rounds instead of 100 to save weight. The directions do recommend using only water and a soft cloth to clean the clear part. Another advantage of the Beta is that you can leave rounds in the mag between matches without increasing the chance of a jam. Regular double column mags sometimes cause the brass cases to change shape ever so slightly where they touch each other, possibly resulting in a failure to feed.l

40's and 45's are nice because they will handle about 90% of the stages out there. Too, no matter what division you're shooting in, if the need arises, you have a monopod.

Lastly, a Beta will only work for so long before you just have to trash it (or sell it to some buddy that wants it WAY too bad). With 40's and 45's, just swap the spring and maybe a follower.

Rich

• 4 months later...

Anybody have problems with Bushmaster 40's feeding?, I did and when compared to the Aluminum G.I. spec mags the feedlips were about 3/16" longer on the 40 rd. mag. I figured all I have too loose is 25 bucks so I break out the dremel tool. After a little cutting and grinding I got the feedlips looking just like the G.I. 30rd mags. also installed a magpull folower (which I tried first by the way to no affect) and wow---- now I have a 40 rd mag that works (so Far).

Anybody have problems with Bushmaster 40's feeding?

I bought 2, the one for my good friend, works great. Mine wouldn't run worth a sh!t. The feed lips are way too long. I did the same thing you did and shortened up the lips with a file until they matched my standard mags. I added an ISMI 40 round spring and a Magpull follower and it runs flawless now. I think I have about $40 in it now and a little tuning time.