Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Single Action Revos...

Okay, here's the deal:

My wife has a thing for SA revolvers. The Old Man gave her a 5 1/2" old model Vaquero in .357 for a "welcome to the family" gift, and she adores it. She's also become more receptive to the idea of shooting matches with me know that I'm moving toward USPSA. The only problem is she wants to shoot her revo- the SA one. To be quite honest, i'd like to go run my SA and lever guns in a match format, too.

The obvious response is to go shoot Cowboy Action. I've asked about shooting through matches at a couple of places without "dressing up"- that's something neither of us want to do, and have gotten a rude and abrupt "no" from every CA shooter I asked. So my question posed is this- is there anywhere we can go shoot our SA's in a USPSA or even steel challenge type format in shorts and running shoes? Or should we only drag them out come hunting season?

The USPSA field courses would be brutal reloading and ejecting single rounds. The attitude of the SASS dress code is a bit tough, especially since most of those people have no idea what period dress actually was.

Maybe you can let her try a double action revolver where she can still shoot single action, but reload with speedloaders or moonclips. That may be just enough compromise with her favor for SA shooting, and the flow of the USPSA match.

Steel Challenge has a Single-Action revo category. I'm not sure if the dress code is enforced at the 'big match' (most of 'em seem to be in it), but locally we don't care (not that the SAAs show up much, if at all).

The Steel Challenge rule book says that cowboy dress is "encouraged" not required. Since the course of fire is 5 targets and has a maximum allowed time per run of 30 seconds, it might be beneficial to get a 2nd SA revolver to shoot this match.

While I do shoot Cowboy and the dress requirements aren't real stringent (jeans, long sleeve button shirt, shoes/boots that aren't sneakers is enough), I also use my SA revolver for Steel Challenge.

An SA to look into for USPSA type shooting is a clone of an S&W Schofield in 45 Colt. One of the S&W speedloaders is exactly the right size. Since it's a breaktop gun, it ejects all the empties at once. While reloading is probably not as fast as a swing out type DA, with practice I think it could be competitive, especially if the gun was modified to take moon clips!

Hope this helps.

Joel

I've done a second gun reshoot several times using single action revolvers. The only problem has been the RO's complaining about the black powder smoke. :lol:

You could ask at your local club. I don't see why they would stop her. It's not like she would have an unfair advantage. :D A faster way to reload is keep spare rounds in a big pocket instead of belt loops. I sometimes use my IDPA vest. Also when I reshoot in IDPA I use 3 or 4 revolvers. The rules just say you can't use 2 guns. ;)

Bill Nesbitt

I would expect most USPSA clubs would have no argument about shooting a single action revolver. Ity's been done before.

If that is what you (she) has, and that's what she wants to shoot, she should. It's about fun and enjoyment first.

Guy

• 4 weeks later...

Take a look at your local IDPA match.

Most clubs feature low round count with few reloads, some times the reloads are even off the clock.

Back when I was shooting IPSC, SASS and IDPA. I shot a couple of IDPA matches with my Ruger SA, lots of fun. On the other hand a SA revolver at an IPSC match would NOT IMHO be much fun.

Cowboy shooting is also a lot of fun. But a cowboy hat and boots are part of the game.

Actually cowboy hats and boots are not a requirement. If you want to wear shorts and no 10 gallon hat you can always dress as a Native American. Breechclout, moccasins, and any type of hat except a baseball cap! :P

Nolan

Skilled, but otherwise unremarkable.

Actually cowboy hats and boots are not a requirement.  If you want to wear shorts and no 10 gallon hat you can always dress as a Native American.  Breechclout, moccasins, and any type of hat except a baseball cap!   :P

Nolan

Skilled, but otherwise unremarkable.

Your right, :) you can dress up as anyone from that period.

I have seen Sailors, shopkeepers, farmers, cavalrymen, and dancehall girls. Also you don’t need to be historically correct as dressing up as a character from a western move is also common.

I was more into the shooting part of the sport; I wore regular jeans, a cotton dress shirt (sleeves rolled up), boots and cowboy hat.

We had one of our local solid "aal around" guys, Gary Schmal, shoot two SA revo's in a local IDPA match a while back...........and take HOA. :D

This guy shoots everything at about "A" level, skinny guns, 3-gun, Cowboy, IDPA, IPSC whatever you like.

If you don't make him reload he's fast an accurate. It was a hoot to watch.

• 1 month later...

pisgahrifle

Here's what my CAS clothes consist of:

Jeans--$4

Shirt--$2

Vest--$4--it's a black vest from a old suit

Shoes--$10--You can't use tenny runners but you can get some black McCanns that are about the same thing. All but the shoes came from the Salvation Army. My persona is a general store owner (they don't wear boots) so I don't have to limp around with sore feet during a match.;)

You don' have to wear a cowboy hat unless you shoot classic cowboy.