Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many rounds this year?

johnbu

I've been tossing primer sleeves into a box this year.  Yesterday while straightening up a bit, i counted them.

225 total. 1/2 are Winchester,  50 Wolf, 20 some Sellier & Bellot, federal and 5 cci.

Not all went through my CO gun, still have several thousand rounds. My son's lim pro ate up 6-7000 rounds and the single stack 1911 ate a  thousand or so.

I did have a few "light strikes" from the S&B primers. They do NOT seem to seat uniformly across random head stamp range picks. Can't blame the gun when the primers aren't set.  Also had a dozen  of the Wolf primers that wouldn't pop at all.  i blame the vodka for those. Lol. While i like the federal primers,  they flip sideways 2-3 per hundred. A pita! The cheaper Winchester, for whatever reason, run better in my press,  they are cheaper and available!

All in all, pretty much dead reliable.

I'm sitting just north of 9,000 right now based on my log, should be right at 12,000 by Mid-December going into the off-season.

I'd say (to date) 7,000 in the back-up/practice Stock 2, 1,500 in the match Stock 2, and about 500 in the, now traded, RO 1911 9mm.

My 2018 practice schedule has a tentative 17,500 rounds.

S&B and CCI primers provided a few (25?) lights strikes in the Stock 2's but as johnbu mentioned, was due to improperly seated primers. I've had 2 totally dead primers.

Started shooting a .22 this year for Steel Challenge and I've been practicing live fire twice a week, about 400 rounds per session.  Working on speed for first shot and transitions.

I'm manic and shoot a lot.  So far this year I've fired about 25000 round of .22.  I've improved every month and hope I do even better this month after reading Nimitz's book.

Edited by AzShooter

On 11/9/2017 at 7:59 AM, johnbu said:

While i like the federal primers,  they flip sideways 2-3 per hundred. A pita!

Just a comment:  I just loaded 2,000 38SC last week using Federal primers and had no flips at all.

1 hour ago, RileyLV said:

Just a comment:  I just loaded 2,000 38SC last week using Federal primers and had no flips at all.

Yeah, but i use a Lee Toadmaster and it's a bit "finicky".  in fact, this week i loaded 1500 and had 2-3 flips per 100.  so, it's acting up on me. But it could be the range picks have tight / crimped pockets. I don't swage, so that's always a problem.

On 11/12/2017 at 5:56 AM, johnbu said:

Yeah, but i use a Lee Toadmaster and it's a bit "finicky".  in fact, this week i loaded 1500 and had 2-3 flips per 100.  so, it's acting up on me. But it could be the range picks have tight / crimped pockets. I don't swage, so that's always a problem.

Probably that was it.  I was using new brass.