Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Ammo Recomendations

drivenagain

I have a Witness Limited 9mm that is in "MD Jail" until this friday.  I dont know Tanfos tolerance to ammo, Ive read that the throats come short from the factory.   I shot a Glock17 with a Bar-Sto  in limited which ate just about everything I gave it.  I practice/match with remanufactured 115gr, on ocassion buying Federal 115gr.  I do plan to reload, now isnt the time to get started tho.  For you guys that shoot factory or remanufactured/once ffired brass, what works, what should I stay away from, Thanks!!

Jason

Factory 115 FMJ has a ridiculously long pointy profile, whose ogive is extremely compatible with short chambered guns. Ever mic'd Winchester White Box? It's absurdly long, around 1.160" yet it feeds in every factory gun due to the shape of the bullet. You should be able to run any store-bought jacketed 115 you like without worry.

It's the reloaders with our fat, short, round-nose 124/135/147gr coated bullets who have to worry about OAL.

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Factory 115 FMJ has a ridiculously long pointy profile, whose ogive is extremely compatible with short chambered guns. Ever mic'd Winchester White Box? It's absurdly long, around 1.160" yet it feeds in every factory gun due to the shape of the bullet. You should be able to run any store-bought jacketed 115 you like without worry.

It's the reloaders with our fat, short, round-nose 124/135/147gr coated bullets who have to worry about OAL.

I had this problem in my Glock 17 with Bar-Sto match barrel, I tried to run 147/158g coated subsonics and they were a no go, in my stock barrel fine but if I tried to feed one in the Bar-Sto it would get stuck in the chamber.

So far the "best" meaning most accurate ammo I ever shot was Atlanta Arms.  A buddy I shoot with is on Homeland Sec Team, handed me 50rds of his 115 JHP Elite at a match and WOW!!!

I reeeeealy want to reload myself but Im going into the Holiday season and Im going to be busy at my shop.

• 4 weeks later...