Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wife approved an XL 650 !

On 11/1/2017 at 2:11 PM, crispyrice said:

I use the cheap FA digital scale and it works for my needs at the moment and got the FA tumbler as well for brass.

OK, using a cheap scale with any press, let alone something as pricey as what you paid for the 650 is akin to wearing Payless shoes with an Armani suit - only more dangerous.

The only way I would rely on a cheap digital scale would be if I A). Constantly checked it's calibration, and B). Was loading well below maximum limits.  Even with my more expensive scales (I own a Dillon, an RCBS and a Hornady), I check them often and avoid using them in drafty conditions.  Cheap scales can be affected not only by drafts, but voltage fluctuations and the ballast used in fluorescent lighting as well.  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

I'd recommend a balance beam scale as - if you basically use one load - once it's all set up you don't use a scale that much.

I prefer a digital myself. When I work up a load I drop 5 charges on the scale and weigh an average.

To verify I’m right where I want to be, I take a 10 drop average once I have the charge weight dialed in. That’s why my charge weights in my reloading spreadsheets are usually something like 3.75 grains.

I’d be sliding my beam type scale around way too much.

On 11/22/2017 at 11:58 AM, Tom S. said:

OK, using a cheap scale with any press, let alone something as pricey as what you paid for the 650 is akin to wearing Payless shoes with an Armani suit - only more dangerous.

The only way I would rely on a cheap digital scale would be if I A). Constantly checked it's calibration, and B). Was loading well below maximum limits.  Even with my more expensive scales (I own a Dillon, an RCBS and a Hornady), I check them often and avoid using them in drafty conditions.  Cheap scales can be affected not only by drafts, but voltage fluctuations and the ballast used in fluorescent lighting as well.  

Key word was at the moment lol I’m using a chargemaster now. Constant calibration was the key to that scale and was only using for 9mm minor loads. I would not recommend a cheap scale for anything more then a temporary bridge to a proper scale. 

Edited by crispyrice
Spelling

I bought the Dillon balance scale. Are those generally reliable? 

Also- was thinking of making a Black Friday reloading thread for people to post up the best deals they spot...I don’t see many threads like that on Enos so I’m not sure if it’s frowned upon. 

My Dillon showed up yesterday but I still need a few items and components to load 40. 

Edited by Covfefe

Can't comment on Armani suits..however to setup/verify my powder charge, I drop 10 charges and measure these on two, zero'd digital scales.  This technique gets me very close to where I need to be, powder wise.  If I want to perform a 'triple check' I verify using my beam scale.

While this technique is not ultra precise, it is good enough for the shooting that I'm doing.

2 hours ago, Covfefe said:

Also- was thinking of making a Black Friday reloading thread for people to post up the best deals they spot...I don’t see many threads like that on Enos so I’m not sure if it’s frowned upon. 

My Dillon showed up yesterday but I still need a few items and components to load 40. 

I haven’t heard any complaints about them. 

I used dillon balance scale. Works great!

21 hours ago, Covfefe said:

Balance scales are excellent as long as you follow a few rules:

Locate it as far from the press as you can to avoid vibrations (this applies to all scales)

Keep it clean - dust and/or debris in the notch where scale's knife edge rest can effect readings. Either use a cover when not in use or return to the box.

Avoid drafts (this also applies to all scales)

Calibrate it before use, occasionally during use and when done (applies to all scales)

Make sure it's level (applies to all scales)

Avoid wild beam swings by dampening movement with your figures when loading/unloading.

9 hours ago, Tom S. said:

Balance scales are excellent as long as you follow a few rules:

Locate it as far from the press as you can to avoid vibrations (this applies to all scales)

Keep it clean - dust and/or debris in the notch where scale's knife edge rest can effect readings. Either use a cover when not in use or return to the box.

Avoid drafts (this also applies to all scales)

Calibrate it before use, occasionally during use and when done (applies to all scales)

Make sure it's level (applies to all scales)

Avoid wild beam swings by dampening movement with your figures when loading/unloading.

Great insight. Thanks. 

So I’m stocking up on some components with Black Friday deals. Xtreme bullets is 20pct off and free shipping. Getting:

1,000 new brass $.111 (I have some once fired)

500 165 gr RNFP $.084

500  180 gr HP $.096

I’m going to develop some major and minor loads out of my Lyman manual. Okay place to start? 

Edited by Covfefe

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, CTJer said:

Piggybacking off this thread.   I’m about to buy the XL650 sometime in the next month.  

After starting USPSA this past April, it’s pretty evident that it’s a necessity.  

Make sure you let wife know. You can’t just sneak a reloading operation into the safe like a new pistol or lower....! 

Start reading manuals and browsing components so that your (relatively) ready when the blue machine shows up. They ship fast! 

8 hours ago, Covfefe said:

Make sure you let wife know. You can’t just sneak a reloading operation into the safe like a new pistol or lower....! 

Start reading manuals and browsing components so that your (relatively) ready when the blue machine shows up. They ship fast! 

Oh, she knows.   

Been studying up and talking to guys at matches about reloading.