Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SBR - PCC Blaster

So I've decided to take one of my SBR lowers and make a competition PCC out of it ..

First set parts start rolling in today !!

I will update this thread as it comes together ...

IMG_6708.JPG

Edited by Mx556

Unfortunately the lower have is a standard lower which I'm going to use a conversion mag block with... 

Colt /Metalform mags are the way to go..

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-colt-style-magazine-9mm-32rd-steel-black-3pk-sku078000198-57092-124271.aspx

11 minutes ago, nate89 said:

It looks like you are using colt mags. I have the QC10 lower that I am just finishing up. Any tips/tricks specific to the colt lowers and mags you know? Best mags to buy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the lower have is a standard lower which I'm going to use a conversion mag block with... 

Colt /Metalform mags are the way to go..

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-colt-style-magazine-9mm-32rd-steel-black-3pk-sku078000198-57092-124271.aspx

Yeah, I see that now you are using a standard lower, reading comprehension fail on my part. Sounds like a cool project though, looking forward to seeing how it ends up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

I ran my registered SBR in a couple of run and gun shoots, as well as one USPSA match... the bolt hold open broke on the second time it was engaged on the Colt style mag... and the overall bolt travel had been reduced... don't run it to slide lock if you don't have to :)

2 hours ago, Les Snyder said:

I ran my registered SBR in a couple of run and gun shoots, as well as one USPSA match... the bolt hold open broke on the second time it was engaged on the Colt style mag... and the overall bolt travel had been reduced... don't run it to slide lock if you don't have to :)

??

I feel that the full size gun will be flatter. The name of the game is weight with these and the shorter barrels seem to bounce a little bit. I know my mpx does. Unless I’m running the 4.5 inch barrel with can.  

I’m interested to see what you find 

Hello: We have a young guy here who started with a AR15 Hahn insert SBR and a 5.5" barrel. He buildup another 16" for the same lower and he is much better with it. He will be a Master in no time. I think 98% of the time a longer barrel will be better. Super light may not work for everyone in a USPSA pistol match. For steel challenge it maybe another story. Thanks, Eric

So I've seen a big trend in the recent months guys running super light barrel setups such as the Taccom 5.5" barrel with a lightweight extension . I don't see how I'm going to see any more or less recoil or muzzle flip from this barrel then I would one with a aluminum shroud hanging off the end of a 5 inch barrel .. 

https://taccom3g.com/product/taccom-ar15-ulw-9mm-pcc-barrel/

I don't see not much difference between that and what I'm building other than the fact I don't have a 12 inches rail,  I know there's a big advantage having that much rail to control recoil using a C clamp style grip (which I'm not a fan of) I decided to take advantage in the fact that I already had SBR lower ,we'll see how it runs and well I do ..

At the end of the day it's about having fun and if I end up with one extra gun set up that's not too bad of a downside ..;)

9 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: We have a young guy here who started with a AR15 Hahn insert SBR and a 5.5" barrel. He buildup another 16" for the same lower and he is much better with it. He will be a Master in no time. I think 98% of the time a longer barrel will be better. Super light may not work for everyone in a USPSA pistol match. For steel challenge it maybe another story. Thanks, Eric

I think that a 8-10" is the happy medium. It gives you enough rail to use a good grip and gives you a more compact package. My tax stamp should be here by the end of the year, we'll see how it goes. 

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, warpspeed said:

Well done Max - 

How do you like the Calvin Elite trigger ?  I'm trying to justify it. ( not really :) )

Thx had some issue with the Elite the day before the match so I decided to go with a reliable trigger I had. Need to work more with the Elite, I think I may have over tightening of the set screws when installing it. It's an extremely crisp and light trigger and work really well for about four mags  then had a few hiccups ..