Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's That Thingy Makes Your Hands Nonslip

Rikarin

I saw once, tried once, but can not remember the name nore where I can buy... that tube liquid/cream stuff you put on your hands and your hands become non-slippiery.

Can someone tell me?

thanks bunches!

interesting note, when I watched the big dogs at A8 shoot the stage I worked, they used good old East Huntingdon dirt....

The dirt will soak up the sweat and that's obviously the biggest cause of a slippery grip. Depending on the weather conditions (and the shooter's own nerves) this may or may not work for the duration of the stage.

So I'd say it's an individual thing... I always keep a supply of Pro-Grip in my bag, though I rarely use it, it's there if I need it.

NB: It's really useful stuff if you have a stage where your hands start in water, the water just falls off it.

interesting note, when I watched the big dogs at A8 shoot the stage I worked, they used good old East Huntingdon dirt....

The dirt will soak up the sweat and that's obviously the biggest cause of a slippery grip. Depending on the weather conditions (and the shooter's own nerves) this may or may not work for the duration of the stage.

Yeah, but do you want to take the chance that the dirt will get in the gun?

Not really my young padawan...not really at all. ;)

My grip is EXTREMELY textured, and if my hands are sweaty or wet it will still screw with you....besides, you can't texture a mag tube which is where dry hands really makes a difference.

Even with a textured grip you still definitely need the, well I won't refer to it by the name I normally call it as there may be ladies present, Fast Grip. I've got a Tru-Grip on my Glock and at Area 3 it hardly helped at all. My hands normally don't sweat and I never use the stuff. But, I did not have a choice at Area 3. The place where I found myself slipping the worst was between my strong and support hands. No texturing of the grip will stop that. I prefer the Fast Grip more for the packaging. It comes in a little pump. My ProGrip I always had to unscrew the top because it would gum up between uses.

Gosh, right place to ask or what! Thank you for info. Didn't know there are so many outa there.

I tape my gun with so called hockey tape and its great even its sweaty. Problem is, as lawman said, weak hand over the strong hand. My fingers are not-so-narrow side and almost like grabbing the baseball bat upside down. WH fingers always slipping off.

Alchol works great to get rid of oil...but you know, I want to keep natural oil on my hands if possible to bye-bye aligator skin :D

Thanks again!

Yeah, but do you want to take the chance that the dirt will get in the gun?

hehe, i shoot a glock, I don't worry about dirt....also use Eric's TruGrip...never a worry about sweaty hands.

I use the ProGrip too, and like it.

I like the gel. If it gets too thick, too much of the alcohol carrier has evaporated. Just add a little denatured alcohol to thin it back out. Use the highest alcohol concentration, 98% - if you use the 70% stuff, then after application the 30% water in there may not evaporate fast enough for your taste.

Remember where the stuff is best applied: palm and fingers of the weak hand, back of the fingers and knuckles of the strong hand. If you have skateboard tape covered grip panels or EricW's TruGrip applied, as I do, there isn't much need for the stuff on the palm of the strong hand.

I only use a little. I've heard (here, I think) that you can use too much, to the point of making stuff sticky and prone to jamming if you handle things (like loading rounds into mags). A little dab will do ya... ;)

Thanks for the tip about Prince Grip, McOliver - I hate paying shipping on just a single item from SC or whomever, just to get more.

Kevin C.

• 2 months later...

You would all be surprised what a little bit of anti-perspirant (any brand) will do for sweating hands. Works well on feet if you seem to be prone to blistering.

Nice thing is that normal treatment on your hands precludes you from having to worry about getting sticky stuff, or powdery stuff in the wrong place.

I started using a product called Dry Grip. Fellow shooter turned me onto it at an Area 8 match. The 2oz tube lasted about 2 years. Had difficulty finding it locally but was able to order a 6oz tube online. If you search Dry Grip on the internet you will find various suppliers.

DRYG-big.jpg