Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass shearing off in chamber

In the last 2 weeks i've had 2 pieces of brass shearing off leaving a portion of the case in the chamber whilst extracting the rim. It seems to be some strange brass that sneaks through my reloading that has an internal step (changing ID ) inside the case. Anyone else have this ? What brass is this ?

Does it look like this afterwards?

https://i.imgur.com/6p9CCpC.jpg

Happened to me 1 shot into Stage 6 of this last Sunday's match. The extracted half promptly stovepiped and the next round tried to feed but was stopped by the left over bit in the chamber. I've since gone through all my ammo and removed anything with offending headstamps.

I'm running a KVP barrel.

On 9/27/2017 at 1:47 PM, arcsecond said:

Does it look like this afterwards?

https://i.imgur.com/6p9CCpC.jpg

Happened to me 1 shot into Stage 6 of this last Sunday's match. The extracted half promptly stovepiped and the next round tried to feed but was stopped by the left over bit in the chamber. I've since gone through all my ammo and removed anything with offending headstamps.

I'm running a KVP barrel.

That's it ! 

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

Usually you can run a brass brush into the chamber (i have run the whole brush past the brass and then pull it back out).  This will work most of the time.

Thanks.  I'm having a PCC built and I have seen some of those stepped cases go through my reloading process.  Never had a separation in my pistol, but I have an Otis kit I can put in my rifle bag to remove pieces if I have this problem.

I carry a small ice pick/dental pick with the 45/90 degree bend in my range bag. Hooks the split brass with no problem. Happened a couple of times when I started reloading for 9mm open before I realized what was going on with the stepped cases.

gerritm

On 9/25/2017 at 11:52 PM, gahunter12 said:

Yea I toss all the stepped brass in the trash. Never had issue in my pistols, but I have see. These separate too often in PCC. 

Freedom Munitions got me too last summer. In my CS Scorpion and also in my Glock! 

It can happen in a pistol too... but far more likely in a blowback gun. 

13 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

Freedom Munitions got me too last summer. In my CS Scorpion and also in my Glock! 

It can happen in a pistol too... but far more likely in a blowback gun. 

Yea it's just not worth it to me. I have enough brass that a hundred or so cases tossed doesn't bother me. Just makes it time consuming to pic them out