Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making a mag fit the gauge. How to?

rowdyb

SV tube. TTI guts and 3g basepad bought as a "ready to go" magazine. Two of them I have that I bought new do not fit the gauge. Rather than pay the 15% restocking fee ($39) and shipping ($10) to return them I want to make them work. I find tons of posts about tuning feed lips and springs and followers but not much about getting them to gauge beyond 1. filing down the base pad or 2. filing down the feed lips.

These are already small basepads and it looks like the lips were worked on when the built the mag, as to me there isn't a ton of "extra" material there for filing down. So what else would you do to get mags to fit the gauge?

20170913_080237_resized_1.jpg

FB_IMG_1505308181575_resized.jpg

Easy way

file the back of the feed lips where they contact the gauge

IMO better way

Gingerly bend the lips at the base of the mag where they go into the TTI base pad at a 90 degree angle to the tube. that will pull the base pad up against the bottom of the tube and give you the 1mm or so of room you need.

On occasion you may have to do both

Edited by jcc7x7

Bent one set of basepad flanges above horizontal to get the slop out and filed the lips so that it fits oh so oh just barely, but...............................................

while checking them  I placed the tube itself on a flat surface and lo and behold....... the back facet of the mag is far from flat/straight/even.

It's so wavy it could fit the gauge and not even touch the two flats you need to to pass. Ugh.

I do like the look and design of the basepad from them and it did hold 21 as advertised, but I am completely unimpressed by their "ready to go and tuned" SV mags at $129 each.

Edited by rowdyb

I had to flatten out the two flanges where the basepad as well as adjust the back of the lips.

It's ok if it doesn't contact the flats IF the feedlips don't touch.

If you're ready to write off the SV tubes, feel free to PM me- I have some gently used new style ST tubes that I tuned that I'd be willing to trade.

Otherwise Atlas's videos are awesome for tuning.

1 minute ago, Sandbagger123 said:

i am betting its mostly the play in the slot . you can try bending the bottom lips upward to bring the pad up and see what happens 

I've seen that a lot more with STI mags. SV mags seem to need more genuine trimming.

45 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Bent one set of basepad flanges above horizontal to get the slop out and filed the lips so that it fits oh so oh just barely, but...............................................

while checking them  I placed the tube itself on a flat surface and lo and behold....... the back facet of the mag is far from flat/straight/even.

It's so wavy it could fit the gauge and not even touch the two flats you need to to pass. Ugh.

I do like the look and design of the basepad from them and it did hold 21 as advertised, but I am completely unimpressed by their "ready to go and tuned" SV mags at $129 each.

How did you bend those flanges? I need to bend them on a mag or two and can't get them to  budge. They look fragile but they are pretty tough evidently!

51 minutes ago, Sarge said:

How did you bend those flanges? I need to bend them on a mag or two and can't get them to  budge. They look fragile but they are pretty tough evidently!

It's not pretty or delicate the way I do it. I take just the tube and hit the base at an angle against the anvil part of my vice. Firmly and repeatedly. Then I eyeball it and fine tune with a brass hammer.

I was able to take all the slip out of one pad/mag.

13 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

It's not pretty or delicate the way I do it. I take just the tube and hit the base at an angle against the anvil part of my vice. Firmly and repeatedly. Then I eyeball it and fine tune with a brass hammer.

I was able to take all the slip out of one pad/mag.

I have tried that actually. I'll just try harder. Thanks best of luck with the mags and new gun.

Hey Rowdy, Im assuming you got the complete mags from TTI.  Their complete kit comes with the 4mm basepad.  They are known to maybe maybe not fit the gauge.  Its pretty crappy they sell them as will fit but it is what it is.  Maybe try selling the 4mm pads and get the 3mm ones.  I bet you could damn near get  your money back on them.  You do lose a round but as you know its pretty rare that one round is going to make or break  you.  I was going to get the 4mm myself but heard about this problem before I ordered them.  

20 minutes ago, Edge40 said:

Hey Rowdy, Im assuming you got the complete mags from TTI.  Their complete kit comes with the 4mm basepad.  They are known to maybe maybe not fit the gauge.  Its pretty crappy they sell them as will fit but it is what it is.  Maybe try selling the 4mm pads and get the 3mm ones.  I bet you could damn near get  your money back on them.  You do lose a round but as you know its pretty rare that one round is going to make or break  you.  I was going to get the 4mm myself but heard about this problem before I ordered them.  

When I called TTI, I asked if they ran the 4mm on their in-house tuned SVI tubes. I was told they still run the 3mm. But I have a 4mm and could not find any differences with my calipers.

Thank you for the post. It seems  to confirm what I had originally thought.

2 minutes ago, IsaacB said:

When I called TTI, I asked if they ran the 4mm on their in-house tuned SVI tubes. I was told they still run the 3mm. But I have a 4mm and could not find any differences with my calipers.

Thank you for the post. It seems  to confirm what I had originally thought.

Thats weird because their website says its the 4mm on the 40 cal tubes and 3mm on the 9mm tubes.

18 minutes ago, Edge40 said:

Thats weird because their website says its the 4mm on the 40 cal tubes and 3mm on the 9mm tubes.

On the website it is not super clear, but the SVIs will fit the gauge with a 3mm pad, but you can use a 4 if you tune it (I believe that is why it says "4G" instead of "4mm" and then there is a blurb about a "4 the gauge" pad).

There is also a video of TB going over the tubes and pads and he clarifies that it is 4mm for ST and 3mm for SV.

I tried clarifying this over the phone with customer service, but it was like we were speaking different languages.

49 minutes ago, IsaacB said:

On the website it is not super clear, but the SVIs will fit the gauge with a 3mm pad, but you can use a 4 if you tune it (I believe that is why it says "4G" instead of "4mm" and then there is a blurb about a "4 the gauge" pad).

There is also a video of TB going over the tubes and pads and he clarifies that it is 4mm for ST and 3mm for SV.

I tried clarifying this over the phone with customer service, but it was like we were speaking different languages.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Manufactured from 410 stainless steel using a process control system, Infinity tubes are among the finest in the industry. Infinity employs a proprietary process that polishes both the interior and exterior of each tube to a high gloss. Not only does this process add to the appearance, it improves the performance of the tubes by reducing rough spots or imperfections in the tube walls.

Each magazine is individually hand-tuned with all TTI internals.

FITS the 140MM Gauge! Holds 21+1!

40 S&W Magazines Include:

-TTI Universal Follower (the slide will lock back with one in the magazine still, need to disengage slide lock to maximize round count).

-Extra Strength Spring

-TTI 4mm Base Pad

2 hours ago, Edge40 said:

They look like the 3mm pads to me.... I could be wrong. How to measure and be sure???

I got an auto reply email to leave a review of the product on their site. I doubt it is one that will help increase sales. Sadly as they seem to have a decent reputation with other products.

Edited by rowdyb

26 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

They look like the 3mm pads to me.... I could be wrong. How to measure and be sure???

I got an auto reply email to leave a review of the product on their site. I doubt it is one that will help increase sales. Sadly as they seem to have a decent reputation with other products.

Ok so I put my calipers to a 3mm pad I got from Atlas when he built my mags and a 4mm(4g2 pad that i bought from shooters connection).  The 3mm pad measured .284 at its thickest points and the 4mm measured .352 at its thickest points.  Ill include a picture of them side by side as well.  The pad on the mag is the 3mm and this passed the gauge at area 7 this past weekend.  Sorry they're upside down next to each other but still gives the proper effect.  

IMG_3655.JPG

Edited by Edge40

3 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

Gotcha, mine measured 356 and 368 along the back, the thickest part. So it looks like I do indeed have the 4 pad. I'll order two 3's. Not cool TTI, not cool.

Yea def the 4mm pad.  They have good products but you cant trust what they tell you as far as the gauges go.  Had a buddy get bumped to open with a taran pad on his glock mag that was "guaranteed" to fit the gauge.   I think you get an extra round with the 4mm but it makes the gauge a bit sketchy.  Heres another photo of the front of them side by side.  Not that it matters.

IMG_3656.JPG