Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeling the need for a 650

I'm beating myself up thinking I need a 650. I have 2 550's but I still in the back of my head think I need a 650...got burned by the (big red machine) since 2008(never could get it to run right without some kind of drama happening so I boxed it up) I have 1 550 set up for 223 with a separate head for case prep with rt1500 and size decap die it goes ok but I wonder and say a 650 would speed things up I know its my decision to make but darn..i guess I just need to pull the trigger and get a 650 and be done with it cause if I don't get it I will never know if I missed the boat on not owning 1.

10 minutes ago, choppertime said:

I'm beating myself up thinking I need a 650. I have 2 550's but I still in the back of my head think I need a 650...got burned by the (big red machine) since 2008(never could get it to run right without some kind of drama happening so I boxed it up) I have 1 550 set up for 223 with a separate head for case prep with rt1500 and size decap die it goes ok but I wonder and say a 650 would speed things up I know its my decision to make but darn..i guess I just need to pull the trigger and get a 650 and be done with it cause if I don't get it I will never know if I missed the boat on not owning 1.

I bought a 550 initially and somebody here commented I would want a 650 within 6 months and they were right. The 550 is a very good machine but the 650 is just so much better and faster. Better priming system , made for a case feeder and auto indexing makes it a better volume machine.

I had the red one for a while and also couldn't get it running 100 percent.  Always required some kind of tweaking.  I bought a 650 and it was a whole new world.  I absolutely love that machine.  Their customer service is also the best I have ever experienced.  I broke my case feed adapter the other day, totally my fault.  Called dillon and the guy was like ok its on the way.  I was a little confused for a second but thats how they operate.  Do it and you will never look back.

I had the red one for a while and also couldn't get it running 100 percent.  Always required some kind of tweaking.  I bought a 650 and it was a whole new world.  I absolutely love that machine.  Their customer service is also the best I have ever experienced.  I broke my case feed adapter the other day, totally my fault.  Called dillon and the guy was like ok its on the way.  I was a little confused for a second but thats how they operate.  Do it and you will never look back.

I've lost pieces and called to buy them - they refused payment and sent for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, choppertime said:

A year or so ago when I began competing locally a guy who became a good friend suggested I meet Mr Dillon and I didn't even know who that was - lol! I went off the deep end and bought a 650 as my first press... Needless to say the first six months were quite a challenge and there was a lot to learn beginning my reloading adventure with a progressive. Looking back I would have still made the same choice however it would have taken me years to learn what I did had it not been for those here on this forum and a few in particular have truly been more than patient and hung in there with me.

Bottom line is the machine is awesome, those on this forum are sincere in helping, and I have to assume you already know the extent of the amazing customer service from Dillon!

Cheers from IGG!

3 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Bottom line is the machine is awesome, those on this forum are sincere in helping,

I went from single stage to SDB, sold that and went to a 650 about 20 yrs ago. This year I also picked up a 550.

The 650 is a really easy press to work with once you get to know it. Nothing wrong with the 550 but I don't think it is any more simple to work with. And the people on this forum are terrific if you have a problem. The combined pool of knowledge and experience here lets you solve most any issue that comes up. And Dillon CS is the best.

personally if it were me I'd find a used 1050 and keep 1 550 if your reloading other calibers too , I got a 1050 before loading on a 650 and found I didn't like the 650, and I tried the 650  3 different times as I ran across deals that I couldn't pass up and all there ended up sold and stuck with the 1050/550 combo , just tossing a different thought out there

I have a 550 and a 650.  Shooting 3 gun primarily and dabbling in USPSA a little for pistol tune ups, my 650 is my main work horse for high volume 9mm and 223.  The use of a case feeder for brass processing is VERY nice and the case feeder is just nice.  I guess it depends on what kind of numbers you are cranking out.  I do like the 650 better.  I was loading some 45 ACP the other night on my 550 and missing some of those features on the 650, but the 550 is a robust work horse in its own right.

I started with a 550 and learned how to reload on it, after about a year I had the 650 itch just like you.  I pulled the trigger and got a 650 and added a Mr Bullet feeder, I look back now and say that was one of the best decisions I have made in a long time.  I love the fact that I can crank out about 900 in an hour, I'd rather spend the time shooting not reloading.  Just do it!

On Thu Sep 07 2017 at 7:13 AM, choppertime said:

If you are prepping and trimming .223 brass in bulk, IMO, a casefeeder equipped 650 or 1050 is the way to go.

I will get a ration of poo over this, but the Swage It tool on a 650 will allow you to de-crimp military primers.  But, it supposedly cancels your Dillon warranty.

Having a casefeeder equipped auto indexing press means one hand....your right hand stays on the press handle all the time.  And with one toolhead dedicated to trimming (universal decapper and most likely a Lyman M die, too) your left hand just sits there with nothing to do.  

The ergonomics of that puts a 1050 or 650 light years ahead of a SDB or a 550.

Just like other posters here, I did the same reloading evolution thing too...first a single stage...then a 550, then a casefeeder equipped 650.  I wish I had gone straight to the 650.

I never reloaded until about 5 years ago.  I was ready and got a 650 to start as my first press.  I bought the 650 DVD and it was great.  I was reloading Pistol rounds after a week.  Had a portable DVD player right on the bench next to my press.  1st time took my time and went through the disc slow and just followed what was done.  Doing it over I would do it the same way.  I've got some of the after market things from eBay.  The primer ski jump was the first thing to go.

If you are running any volume a 650 makes more sense than a 550. If you are doing more than a couple thousand rounds a month save up and get a 1050 instead then upgrade to an autodrive. If I wasn't planning on buying a new car next summer I'd be grabbing a super 1050/Mark 7 combo. The time saved swaging brass and using a bullet feeder and casefeed is amazing. I have a 650 and will hopefully have a Mr Bullet Feeder by end of year.