Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighting for Dillon XL650

Looking for some light options for my Dillon XL650. I narrowed it down to 2 choices. Both are the same price so I'd like to hear if anyone has feedback on these units.

Inline Fabrications Skylight, Simple design, 1 unit on top of the tool head and an LED stick on strip.

https://inlinefabrication.com/products/skylighttm-led-lighting-kit-for-the-dillon-650

Reloading Innovations Starlight. Looks like a very nice circuit board one piece unit, lights up every station, and no LED strip to deal with.

https://reloadinginnovations.com/collections/dillon-650/products/dillon-650-press-lighting-kit#shopify-product-reviews

The Starlight looks to be a newer product, I'm curious if anyone's tried this yet? I know Inline Fab has had their unit out for awhile now, but I have heard a few complaints about it not lighting up well or about the LED strip peeling off after time.

Here's a picture with the lights off. That way you can see all the LED lights underneath the tool head. If I had to pick one light it would be the UFO hands down. As a matter of fact I also have the inlinefabrication light on my 550 and half of the strip lights quit working. 

2017-09-04 07.36.12.jpg

14 minutes ago, jaques said:

Here is the UFO light. I like it better because it provi5more light down from the top and there is only one wire. 

2017-09-04 07.29.42.jpg

Wow, that looks great. According to their eBay page it is about 500 lumens which is a ton of light in there. The Starlight also mentioned says about 185 lumens plus I'd need an extra board for each tool head. Glad I no longer have to choose between the center light and the center light. Will be ordering something soon as I have been trying to figure out how to get more light out of my ceiling light fixture.

BTW how do you like that roller setup on the index?

Edited by mikeinctown
ask additional question

Before anyone ask why I did not use the mounting holes of my case feeder support tube. I lowered my case feeder about 5 inches. I cut 2" off the tube where it bolts to the press and just drilled more mounting holes. Then cut about 3 inches off where the case feeder sits. 

Starlight 100%. It puts the light right where you need it. The lights end up almost directly above each station. They got them as close as possible without being inside the dies. Great product and super easy installation. 

10 hours ago, Edge40 said:

Starlight 100%. It puts the light right where you need it. The lights end up almost directly above each station. They got them as close as possible without being inside the dies. Great product and super easy installation. 

AND, Reloading Innovations has the best customer service I have seen in the industry. Great product and great people.

Edited by Sarge

14 hours ago, michael.flitcraft said:

I run the starlight- it's wonderful, no shadows, floods the area with light. Hard to go wrong unless you load .45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you explain more about this? Why only .45?

I'm confused too. The slots cut in the circuit board look like they dont touch the dies. In theory shouldn't affect the operation right?

I am concerned about the exposed circuit board being around powder. Is anyone else worried about that, or am I just paranoid?

7 hours ago, KzBoost said:

I am concerned about the exposed circuit board being around powder. Is anyone else worried about that, or am I just paranoid?

Not worried. It doesn't get very hot if that is the concern. And the lights are actually pretty far removed from the powder. 

The system really does a nice job of lighting up the shell plate area. You won't find too many folks who don't like it. I have the Inline unit on a 550 and it is OK but doesn't flood the area quite like the Starlight does.

Ended up ordering a 1050 instead of a XL650. Gonna pick up the Reloading Innovations Starlight for the 1050. Seems like everyone likes it the one for the 650 so hopefully the 1050 version doesn't disappoint. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2017 at 7:13 AM, jaques said:

I have two 650 and different lights on them. One has the inlinefabrication and it's good and on the other one it's has a UFO light off ebay and I like it much better. I will take pictures of both for you. 

I clicked on the ebay link and it does not show the product.  Also, I typed in UFO light and UFO LED light at ebay and came up with lights that are the approximate size of a hockey puck and are called grow lights. 

Thanks for the photos.  However,  the photo with the lights out, I can not seem to identify where the light is mounted.

Could you provide a new link or highlight where the UFO light is in your photo?

Thanks