Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon clip fit

chief#1

I have been shooting a 929 for uspsa. I am looking for opinions on how the fit of the brass to moon clip is preferred. Really how much wobble of the bullet. I have some .040 and .035 moon clips by tk. I use speer plus p nickel brass. I have never had a problem with ejection with this brass. The .04 clips fit very tight with little wobble. The .035 are easy to get in and out by hand and wobble more.

I have practiced reloading with both. I cannot see an advantage either way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I practice with the .040 and use them as my "main" match clips

BUT

LAst weeks match I needed some of the .035 loaded clips and they all loaded fine.

I find if  I can load the tight clips the wobbly ones will go fine.

Some folks believe that the looser clips are easier for newer shooters to reload with.  I'm not sure.

Seems to me tighter is better

Take a look an Mr Jerry reloading.  The tip if the bullet is about  1/4 to 1/2 of an inch away from the cylinder openings.

More when he is showing off.

He just releases the moon clip and it magically gets sucked into the cylinder.

He is recommending a heavier bullet and I suspect that helps with this reloading style.

In practice this technique works well for me.

I can't seem to remember to do it in a match.

I must be: Old and In the Way!!!

I use 147 pd now. Along with 160 bb. Can't really see a noticeable gain for the 160's yet.

What is anyone's experience with the revolver supply brand clips? Or any others. How do they compare to tk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I use RS clips in my 627 and 929

I use both the .040 and .035 in my 929

040 they call extremes seem to be real nice clips.

I can't load any quick with TK's than with RS extremes

But I'm just an A class revo shooter,so the Masters and GM's may think differently

Edited by jcc7x7

2 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I use RS clips in my 627 and 929

I use both the .040 and .035 in my 929

040 they call extremes seem to be real nice clips.

I use Starline brass with the .040 Revolver Supply extreme moon clips and 147 grain round nose.  There is less wobble with this combination.  The .035 moon clips are OK for practice with range  brass.

I never could get Starline brass to work in my 929.  It would stick no matter what moons or what load I used.

I switched over to Winchester brass and never had a problem.  I like 147 grain bullets the best and order from Eagleston Bullets.   I Like their variety of colors.

In my experience if the brass is very tight but can still spin in the clip it's just about right.  If you want to reload as fast as possible standing still the tighter clip is more consistent.  A lot also depends on your cylinder.  If everything is chamfered and smooth you can get away with a bit more wobble.  I'm using the TK .040 clips with FC brass and like that combination.

Edited by Alaskan454

12 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Starline did not want to sell me brass based on reports that they had of their brass sticking in cyl's

Obviously your not having problems !!!

What load are your shooting out of starline?

3.8 grains of Powder Pistol pushing a 147 grain .358 round nose Blue Bullet.

3.2 grains of N320 with same bullet.  OAL is 1.145.

I've tried other brands of powder and bullet weights with range brass and have never had a problem with brass sticking. 

The cylinder is stock....no polishing or chamfering.

The Starline brass is 9mm +p ....if that makes a difference ???

Everything is loaded on a Dillon 550 with Dillon 9mm dies.

Another point to consider is that the SAAMI spec for the 9MM Parabellum shows the extractor groove diameter is 0.347 +0.000 -0.020.

So cases from 0.327 to 0.247 could be in spec and would not fit all moon clips.

If you search on 9MM dimensions you'll get varying extractor groove dimensions.  Not all drawings say SAAMI and 9MM Parabellum

So be cautious when you say 'my' brass is (insert name here) ... ... ...

I'm looking for some case manufacturer to come out with a 9MMR  (9MM for revolvers).  Wishful thinking perhaps.