Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What dillon press for a 3 gunner ?

So I am interested in buying a dillon press, I shoot 9mm and .223 so I am looking for one press that does it  all. Price is  not really an issue so the 1050 with a  second set of components for for .223 is not a  problem was wondering if anyone had some input on what press consider ? It seems that by the time you get a 650 setup the cost between the 650 and 1050 is not that much especially after you purchase the additional swager for the  650.  

So my question is  is the 1050 a good  press for both calibers. I don't need to do a pit stop in between caliber  swaps Im estimating 75 percent of the time i will be reloading  9mm..

THANKS FOR ANYONE WHO OFFERS INPUT OR SUGGESTIONS 

I have a 650, and for loading 9mm it is plenty of press for me, I'm at about 15k a year.  I also load 223, and I really wish I had the built in swager on the 1050.  If money is not as mush of an issue, I think you will really appreciate the time savings when it comes to processing .223 brass.  I have a friend with a 1050, and it is very nice to have a processing head for .223 where you size, deprime, swage, and trim.  Then you tumble and remove the case lube, and run it through the second toolhead to prime, powder, seat, and crimp.  You will also run into military 9mm brass every so often that also needs to be swaged, although that is less of an issue.

TL;DR: In my opinion, if you can swing the 1050 over the 650, you will end up saving time, especially on rifle loading.

1050. Swager alone would make it a dream for 5.56 - especially if you do a trimmer with the 5.56 head.

Do a big run of rifle for the next few months and then run 9mm like a maniac.

If you're an occasional competitor with lower round counts, buy a 650 and run the math to see if it's cheaper to make rifle/buy pistol, or make pistol/buy rifle for your ammo needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a place I get processed 223 brass from. All Lake City, prepped clean ready to load. I load on a 650, with a Mr. Bulletfeeder for 9mm. I load 5,000-6,000 rounds on 9mm at a time. 223 I load 2,000-3,000 rounds at a time. On 223 I set the bullets in by hand.

For my 'long range loads, I hand load those on the same processed brass on my T-7.

Depends on the quantity of ammo you will be loading ...

A 650 will do a great job, but if you're loading HUGE amounts

of ammo, a 1050 is better.

You might want to consider, since $$$ is NOT an issue  (Good for You),

Get a 1050 for the .223 and a 650 for the 9mm.   :) 

I would get the Dillon Super 1050. It makes short work out of reloading. I load up a couple of month's worth of ammo for each caliber I reload and put the cover the press up. The primer seating on the down stroke and swaging station is reason enough. People say that you don't reload enough for a 1050, but I say that I'd rather spend more time shooting. The reloading is so fast on the 1050 because I load a couple thousand in each caliber every two months. But everyone has their own opinion.

I am not familiar with the 1050 conversion parts, but I know that many of the parts on the 650 are the same. It may be cheaper to buy individual parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

I have a 650, shoot 3 gun, and switch between 9mm and 223.  I really love the press and the changeover is a snap now after doing it frequently.  I load over a 1000-2000 rounds between change overs.  I broke  2 or 3 things during the learning curve (my fault).  I have the power trimmer and it is awesome.  The Giraud is probably better from a precision standpoint but not handling all that brass is YUGE.  I am using Dillon dies mostly though I have tried others.  I would get the large Dillon tumbler.  I have both Dillon tumblers and the big one is the only way to go IMO.  The rifle ammo I load consistently shoots sub moa out of multiple rifles.  I only want to load on Dillon's anymore.

My wife told me to get a 1050.  I did not do it because of the caliber conversion cost (I load 40 also) and the 1050 only has a 1 year warranty.    But I can tell you this, i would get the 1050 today.  The supers swage process is when I inspect all my brass.  I have had a case head separation so I am very careful about that.  I load my large primer stuff on a 550.  If you don't like it you won't take that much of a hit if you sell.

There is no way I would trade a on-press Dillon trimmer for a pencil sharpener type trimmer. It adds another step to the process and makes you handle each case to trim...not to mention the carpal tunnel syndrome you will get from holding each case in the trimmer...

Edited by RiggerJJ

You don't need to chamfer and debur after a Dillon trimmer, I dont. Bell the case slightly eliminates the need to chamfer even with flat bottom bullets, and a slight crimp after seating eliminates the need for deburing. Been doing it this way for years, sub-moa ammo. All steps are done on the press. After processing tumble again to remove case lube and also to remove swarf from the case mouth. Again, no handling of individual piece of brass...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

You don't need to chamfer and debur after a Dillon trimmer, I dont. Bell the case slightly eliminates the need to chamfer even with flat bottom bullets, and a slight crimp after seating eliminates the need for deburing. Been doing it this way for years, sub-moa ammo. All steps are done on the press. After processing tumble again to remove case lube and also to remove swarf from the case mouth. Again, no handling of individual piece of brass...
jj

You are correct. I was tired of chamfer and deburing off the press, so I did the same process as you and reloads came out fine. I just decided to go with the Giraud so I could actually do both things in one step.

To the OP

Get the 1050.

All steps can be done on press including trimming and swaging, so you will not need to handle any brass mid process. Get 2 tool heads for 223; one for processing the brass, and the other to load it. For 9mm you will only need one head. In goes components, out comes completed ammo. I run thru 3-5 5gallon buckets each of 223, 308, 9mm, 40, and 45 during the winter and having the 1050 is the only way I would do it. 

Enjoy the 1050!

(For precision ammo I load it on a 650, but that is an entirely different process. Two heads with a hand cranked lee trimmer that trims, chamfers, and deburs on the processing head, and I measure each powder throw on a trickler...neck turning (not trimming) is done off press, but I am only running 200-500 rounds at a time...)

jj

I load only 9mm and have been getting a lot of brass with tight primer pockets and would love to have the built in swage of the Super 1050 so I vote for that, especially if you would ever think of mechanizing it. If I didn't have kids to worry about, I'd buy a 1050 plus Mark 7 tomorrow.