Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Wife Is Shooting....

JFD

This the second weekend my wife has gone with me to practice :D .

Right now she's using a combo of my L-10 and IDPA rig; Gilmore belt, my home made mag pouches, and a Wilson Practical holster with the "female" drop attachment.

We're basically running simple practice stages with my 8 year old daughter acting as RO. When my wife is ready to shoot a match, the range commands and safety rules will be second nature.

Can't wait for all 3 of us to attend a match. Especially can't wait for all 3 of us to be shooting in a match.

The recoil of major .45 loads in my Kimber L-10 gun has been nothing for my 5' 3" 110 lb wife to handle. I did drop in a 14 lb spring so racking the slide would be slightly easier. I'll give her credit, she's been practicing racking the slide with dummy rounds while at home because she had a lot of problems with that during our first session. Today she had no problem at all.

My daughter plinks a little with a P22 I bought for her, but she's a long ways away from shooting USPSA. She would make a heck of an RO though...

:D:D:D

On the same subject, anybody know what mag pouch would place the mags as low as possible? The pouches I designed for me put the CMC 10 round mags too high for her to reload easily. The safariland and CR Speed pouches I have don't seem like they'd be a lot of improvement, but we haven't tried them yet for her.

Also, if anyone has an old Ghost holster (the Kimber is drilled for a Ghost) or any decent race holster gathering dust, I'd like to give it a try for Mrs. JFD. She won't be shooting matches anytime soon, so I don't want to drop a lot of cash right now, but the adjustability of a race holster would be a good benefit for her.

JFD,

That's great!

Mrs. Airedale shoots and bird hunts with me and it makes the matches and hunting better. It also makes it so easy to bring a new gun into the house. :D

Get her the gear she's comfortable with ASAP. You want her to enjoy the sport.

Dave

On the same subject, anybody know what mag pouch would place the mags as low as possible?  The pouches I designed for me put the CMC 10 round mags too high for her to reload easily.  The safariland and CR Speed pouches I have don't seem like they'd be a lot of improvement, but we haven't tried them yet for her.

Turn the safarilands upside down. Works GREAT for lowering them.

Thanks for the tip on the safariland pouches. I'll have to get some for the single stack. I know I'd hate to have to reload with my mags that high.

Right now she's getting the hang of shooting the 1911 and is too focused on that to pay any attention to the equipment limitations right now. I plan on having those issues solved before she notices :)

Without any prodding, she was practicing draws, reloads, and dry firing tonight :D

Turn the safarilands upside down. Works GREAT for lowering them.

If she has curves and needs to get the mags further away from the belt, use 1/4" rubber gas line cut into small sections, longer screws, and some washers to fit behind the screw head. I've been using the same set up for years with no troubles. The pouches can't be any further away from the belt than the width of a credit card though so mind how long the sections are.

No not another wife shooting!!!! Stop it now!!!!!!!!!! First thing that happens is SHE gets the new gun NOT you!!!! Then SHE wants to practice more than you!!!!! Then SHE is looking at the good stuff on the prize table and not down were you are looking, you know were the mag springs and shock buffs are. Then you have to go though watching her pick out the cool stuff and you are trying to tell her what you want. Then you get DQ’d at a big match and pull the wagon around for her and your friends start laughing at you!!!! And since you have Daughter you need to really watch out there. They are just like there MOM!!!! Quote “Dad that’s a real cool 9mm open that Benny Hill has why don’t sell your open and get that one for me” OK! I just can’t understand why any Man wants there Wife to start shooting with them. The wife stops getting mad when you come home with a new GUN, only thing she ask is that for me. She doesn’t care if you spend to much time at the range as long as she can get the same range time in. The real problem is when your wife and daughter ask, have you ever won a gun at a match as they are standing there with new Smith &Wesson’s? I looked at them with a stern look and say NO but I did win 1000 lead bullets once!

JFD it’s great that they want enjoy your sport, I love having my wife and best friend (Tracy) and Daughter (Shea) shooting with me. Make sure your wife gets gear that fits Her!!! It made a big difference in Tracy’s shooting.

Also get her into one of the Lady camps!!! And do what ever Carina tells you, she is kick ass shooter!!!

One thing never get mad if she beats you IT WILL HAPPEN!

Thanks for all the replies and good natured warnings :)

I ordered four 773s (what I use for my Para mags) for 1911 mags from Rush. Wasn't sure if I had heard bad things about Rush, but I ordered Sunday and they shipped Tuesday. Supposed to arrive Thursday according to UPS. May just order from them again. I see the 771s were mentioned in this thread; I hope the 773s weren't a mistake. Of course I can always use the 773s with my .38 Super for a local outlaw match.

Hopefully they'll get here on time and she can try them out this weekend.

The holster will be next. The only problem with the Wilson Practical holster is that it's a bit "grabby", or at least seems that way compared to my Ghost (duh). Quite honestly, she has a lot to work on besides draw speed, so as long as she's comfortable with the Wilson I may just forget about replacing it for now.

I want to check out holsters a bit more anyway. I fell in love with the Ghost the first time I saw it. Now that I have one I still feel the same, so I haven't paid much attention to any holsters besides the Limcat (looks cool).

Thanks so much for the mag pouch tip.

Received the pouches yesterday, remounted them upside down and now they're perfect for her.

The holster is next.

Make sure your wife gets gear that fits Her!!! It made a big difference in Tracy’s shooting.

This is so true. The best things I ever bought for my wife (that were shooting related) were her own AR and shotgun. She's got them tricked out to the point that I can't use them, but they fit her to a T.

The mag pouches made a big difference in her reloading. That extra 1" drop, plus the adjustable angle ended up making her shooting life easier.

So far she's practiced with me 3 times in a row and shows no sign of letting up. I believe she finally sees that shooting REALLY IS fun and relaxing (when it's not irritating).

I believe the time has come to donate to her my SC range bag. The thing refuses to wear out and I'm sick of a black bag.

The only negative here is I'll have reload .45s again once she goes through my current supply. I've got something like 15 gallons of lead practice ammo and 2 gallons of 230 JHP, so it might take her awhile.

I shot with a lady a couple months ago that had a set of belt loops sewn on to her pants an inch or so lower than the usual set. Seemed to work well for her.

Ah...belt loops. I have a few pair of short/pants with additional sewn on belt loops. It's such a bother to find the right material to make the loops with, then mark up the pants so their in the right spot. And it takes time to zig-zag the #^%*@# out of them so they don't come off the first time you wash them (or forget to unlock your holster). Might I suggest a tour through the juniors section to find low rise shorts/pants. What a time saver! More stylish too!

Ah...belt loops.  I have a few pair of short/pants with additional sewn on belt loops.  It's such a bother to find the right material to make the loops with, then mark up the pants so their in the right spot.  And it takes time to zig-zag the #^%*@# out of them so they don't come off the first time you wash them (or forget to unlock your holster).  Might I suggest a tour through the juniors section to find low rise shorts/pants.  What a time saver!  More stylish too!

If you ever need to do this again, buy several pairs of identical pants. Cut the legs to shorts length on a couple of pairs ---- presto, you have matching material to make belt loops.....

I think my wife can get along with standard belt loops.

What I'm going to do is give her my Ghost holster. Lots of adjustability and I flat out love the thing.

However..... <_< I've found myself desiring something different, just for the sake of something different (and cool). Ordered a Guga Ribas a few minutes ago B)

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I can't believe how much my wife is getting into shooting :D

While at the moment she can't match my "speed"(I laugh at using that word when referring to myself), I managed to get her to appreciate that kicking my ass on points is certainly possible. She found that shooting better points than me is a lot of fun! She's been improving steadily, and has put in the dry fire time (no prodding from me) to make it happen.

I've tried to cover everything she's likely to see at a match in our practice sessions. The last 2 sessions I've set up 20 round run-n-gun stages that she really enjoys. At the same time I discovered 6 of my 8 Para mags now hold 21 rounds :lol:

She handles the Ghost holster like she's had it a couple of years, and refuses to shoot anything where the Ghost can't be used. Another equipment add that really helped her was the Dawson FO front sight (red). Bought a reduced power mag release spring from Shooters Connection that was worth far more than the single dollar I paid for it.

While trying to get her started out right, I've been thinking a lot about the basics of shooting lately. I took the month of July off from shooting matches but I think I've improved as well. I'll find out Saturday. She/We think September will be a good time for her first match, so I'm going to sign her up with USPSA tonight.

BTW: The latest SC range bags are really nice. Like the improved inner bag - Like having a green bag even better. The Guga Ribas holster gets no complaints either B)

You should order guga pouch too!

I think my wife can get along with standard belt loops.

What I'm going to do is give her my Ghost holster.  Lots of adjustability and I flat out love the thing.

However..... <_<  I've found myself desiring something different, just for the sake of something different (and cool).  Ordered a Guga Ribas a few minutes ago B)

JFD,

This is so great to hear. Just the other day, I caught my wife looking through gun builder to decide which finish and color she likes best. Her SV is on order... ;)

You will not regret it. My wife took High D in L10 at the GBC and I am so proud of her. ( I have started to call her Heidi -- get it ;) Yea I know corny!) AND she did it with a Sig 220 which jamed on 2 stages. I could not be more proud.

Good luck to you and your wife,

Ira

I've heard the guga pouches are hot stuff, but I'm good with my 773s. Can't say the same for the CR pouches I tried, but I keep one alive for my barney mag.

I'm really proud of my wife as well. Still kind of shocked that she likes it so much, but her attitude is terrific. She is still a bit affected with the "I'm not ready for a match" disease, but I do believe she's more excited by the prospect than she is scared.

While I'll be shooting the Spartanburg match alone Saturday, I think she'll be with me at their 4th Saturday match.