Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Convert casefeeder to bulletfeeder

Okay, I will submit possibly the dumbest inquiry of the week.

I have a 550 casefeeder that I just plain parked on a shelf and moved on from.  I also have a nice 650 that needs a bulletfeeder.  Yes, the Mr. Bulletfeeder is excellent and I should get one.  But Mr. Accountant says no Mr. Bulletfeeder for me.

I can goof together a bullet dropper but the power collator is more than I feel like fabricating.  Then, what did my wandering eye espy but the dust-collecting 550 casefeeder.  Say, that's a collator there.  Can it be modified to feed bullets into a dropper?

So: has anyone been nutty enough to do this?  Or has suggestions on how to do so?
I understand there are numerous YouTube essays on how to make one from scratch, and that's all good, but if there's a shortcut, I would sure like to hear it.

My old carpenter's hands just won't let me hand-seat more than about 300-400 bullets at a time without resorting to an anti-inflammatory and The Missus can empty .40 cases much more quickly than I can refill them.

So, it's medical necessity.  Right.

6 minutes ago, rishii said:

Maybe sell the case feeder and use that money towards a bullet feeder

whenever I mcgiver something, I usually end up spending more money than if I just bought the thing

3 hours ago, Cherryriver said:

I have a 550 casefeeder that I just plain parked on a shelf and moved on from.  I also have a nice 650 that needs a bulletfeeder.  Yes, the Mr. Bulletfeeder is excellent and I should get one.  But Mr. Accountant says no Mr. Bulletfeeder for me.

I can goof together a bullet dropper but the power collator is more than I feel like fabricating.  Then, what did my wandering eye espy but the dust-collecting 550 casefeeder.  Say, that's a collator there.  Can it be modified to feed bullets into a dropper?

So: has anyone been nutty enough to do this?  Or has suggestions on how to do so?
I understand there are numerous YouTube essays on how to make one from scratch, and that's all good, but if there's a shortcut, I would sure like to hear it.

My old carpenter's hands just won't let me hand-seat more than about 300-400 bullets at a time without resorting to an anti-inflammatory and The Missus can empty .40 cases much more quickly than I can refill them.

Simple solution: Have the "Missus" load ammo. :rolleyes:

" Maybe sell the case feeder and use that money towards a bullet feeder "

I long ago decided not to sell the infernal thing to anyone not deserving of punishment.

"Simple solution: Have the "Missus" load ammo. :rolleyes: "

Which would remove a lot of other obligations for me.  Like breathing.

Just now, Cherryriver said:

" Maybe sell the case feeder and use that money towards a bullet feeder "

I long ago decided not to sell the infernal thing to anyone not deserving of punishment.

"Simple solution: Have the "Missus" load ammo. :rolleyes: "

Which would remove a lot of other obligations for me.  Like breathing.

You shoot it, you load it. Ive had my girl loading for over a year now. I dry fire while the MK7 prints Alphas and she pulls the handle on a 650.

Perhaps I need to explain more completely: it's she who is the sponsored, hotshot shooter with the fancy jersey and spiffy Canyon Creek guns, not me.

I am but a cog in the wheel of USPSA life.  I know my place.

4 minutes ago, Cherryriver said:

Perhaps I need to explain more completely: it's she who is the sponsored, hotshot shooter with the fancy jersey and spiffy Canyon Creek guns, not me.

49 minutes ago, Cherryriver said:

Maybe you could trade the casefeeder for a panini press so you could make her sandwiches while you reload?

" you could make her sandwiches "

She's a chef.  Of nearly 30 years' experience.  I don't make much food.  I just make the coffee, wash dishes and get out of the way.

I can be described as "unusually well-fed".  Tenderloin filet tacos on flame-blackened tortillas with grilled asparagus... for  a throw-together lunch.

So you can see why I want to improve my loading speed.  To get back upstairs to dinner.

This may be veering off-topic.

5 hours ago, Cherryriver said:

Not even in the top 25, Bill. :D

I'm betting with judicious application of a Dremel tool one could do the conversion, but I'd guess the hard part is going to be the flipping-over-of-the-bullet maneuver. Maybe some time spent studying the mechanics of how the Mr B.F. does its thing would be a good starting point. With the spacers and adjustments I've found it to be extremely close to 100% with the various coated bullets I've used, once the tweaking period is over.

Have you given any thought to the cheapo version where you just load bullets into a bunch of tubes and pop those onto a bullet feeder die like refilling a primer tube? Not as elegant but might save wear and tear on the booger hooks until you get something better sorted out.

Yeah, I was planning to butcher the casefeeder collator.  I guess I was just hoping to find someone else had done it first and gotten the mistakes out of the way.

I am doodling around with the tuber ones but that dang casefeeder is just sitting there across the room snerking and my revenge would be to put it to good use. I mean, it's got a motor for heavens' sake.

Sell the 550 and the case feeder. I just got a Mr. Bullet feeder for my 650. It's fantastic.  300 rounds in less than 15 minutes without even pushing hard 

I now absolutely hate loading on my 550

Thank you for your suggestion, but I decline to sell the miserable thing to an innocent.
We have several 550s and an SDB to go with the 650 I'm trying to bulletfeed.  They all have a place and work to do.

I use the Hornady 380-9mm Bullet feed die on a non Hornady brand Turret Press.

I just drop bullets by hand into the top of the die. It holds 7-8 I think.

You can also buy a tube and have a stack of them.  I figured picking them up to drop in a tube or in a die is the same time.

On 7/6/2017 at 11:48 AM, Cherryriver said:

So if it is a medical necessity, can't you write it off on your taxes?

gerritm