Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b Case Feeder

Has anyone here used the case feeder that goes with the 550b. If so, does it work well? Please don't recommend getting a 650 if I want a case feeder, I am already considering that and have been discussing that in another thread.

I have had mine for 4yrs now and I really like it. I only load handgun calibers with my 550 ( 9mm, 38/357, 38 super, 45acp, 44mag, and 45 colt).

After cleaning brass I run my brass thru the press to resize and deprime my cases then reload as needed. I do it this way because of the primer

slide gets dirty from primer residue and sticks from time to time when reloading after tumbling brass. This way I clean the primer system before

loading up my ammo and the primer system pretty much feeds flawlessly for me.

I don't shoot competively anymore so I have the time to do it this way.

Greg, I have one on my 550b.  I have used it for about 6 months.  To answer you question it does work well.  Is it perfect, no. 

At times a case will not slide all the way into station1 and it gets crushed.  Most of the time this happens, a case has a burr on the rim.  The spent primer catch system is different from the original setup and it drops a few more on the floor.

With all that said, I do like it and am glad I have it.  If you are looking for something you can bolt on and never touch again, don't buy it.  But if you don't mind spending a little time with it to tweak it, and can accept a crushed case once in a while, go for it.

19 minutes ago, s2000red said:

Greg, I have one on my 550b.  I have used it for about 6 months.  To answer you question it does work well.  Is it perfect, no. 

At times a case will not slide all the way into station1 and it gets crushed.  Most of the time this happens, a case has a burr on the rim.  The spent primer catch system is different from the original setup and it drops a few more on the floor.

With all that said, I do like it and am glad I have it.  If you are looking for something you can bolt on and never touch again, don't buy it.  But if you don't mind spending a little time with it to tweak it, and can accept a crushed case once in a while, go for it.

Thanks for your insight, that gives me something to think about. I wonder if it works better on the 650 or if that one has occasional issues as well. How much does it speed up your case output (i.e. cases per hour)

I had one for a few months and sold it.  It is very much an after-thought, the design is kludgy, and as stated above be prepared to tinker with it quite a bit.  Also as stated the shuttle is problematic at best so yes it is easy to crush cases (This is why Dillon's policy is pistol only, btw).  It also effectively blocks off the entire right side of the 550, and practically takes an engineering degree to install and adjust lol.  I found it akin to trying to connect a satellite dish to black and white tv.  Also, If  you have an older model 550 you may also require a different thickness platform, otherwise the press won't cycle completely.  Dillon gave me a free replacement platform, but made it sound like they didn't have many of the modified platforms left and in the future a press frame upgrade would be required (for older model presses, that is.  Later B's and of course C's no issue.  This was about a year ago so not sure of the status there. I also had minor clearance issues with the Dillon Roller Handle.

Also one of the biggest knocks on it was it was pistol only, but you can do 223 with some custom mods using parts from other conversion kits.

Honestly I get the feeling Dillon didn't want to offer it, but their hand was forced due to customer demand and figured they would lose sales to Hornady or whoever if they didn't come out with one for the 550.

1zczHsF.jpg

LEQM8xR.jpg

Edited by 78Staff

1 hour ago, 78Staff said:

I had one for a few months and sold it.  It is very much an after-thought, the design is kludgy, and as stated above be prepared to tinker with it quite a bit.  Also as stated the shuttle is problematic at best so yes it is easy to crush cases (This is why Dillon's policy is pistol only, btw).  It also effectively blocks off the entire right side of the 550, and practically takes an engineering degree to install and adjust lol.  I found it akin to trying to connect a satellite dish to black and white tv.  Also, If  you have an older model 550 you may also require a different thickness platform, otherwise the press won't cycle completely.  Dillon gave me a free replacement platform, but made it sound like they didn't have many of the modified platforms left and in the future a press frame upgrade would be required (for older model presses, that is.  Later B's and of course C's no issue.  This was about a year ago so not sure of the status there. I also had minor clearance issues with the Dillon Roller Handle.

Also one of the biggest knocks on it was it was pistol only, but you can do 223 with some custom mods using parts from other conversion kits.

Honestly I get the feeling Dillon didn't want to offer it, but their hand was forced due to customer demand and figured they would lose sales to Hornady or whoever if they didn't come out with one for the 550.

1zczHsF.jpg

LEQM8xR.jpg

I wonder if the case feeder is as problematic on the 650 as well

I have had the Dillon case feeder on a 550b for many years. I load 9mm and .45ACP, and it has functioned almost flawlessly for me.

The keys to having it function correctly involve installation, routine maintenance, and common sense operation. 

--Installation: this requires attention to detail (i.e., following the instructions precisely) and a modicum of manual dexterity. Initially, a certain amount of tweaking is needed to get everything aligned and secured (with bolts). 

--Maintenance: it is important to clean the aluminum channel through which the case travels on its way to the shell plate (it is easily removed for cleaning). The shell plate and the primer system also must be clean because they are integral to the process of getting a case in place so that it can be resized and primed in Station-1. These are things that one does whether or not a case feeder is present.

--Operation: the most important thing is not to overload the case feeder bowl. Trying to put too many cases in the bowl a one time can cause difficulty. (I usually put 100 cases at a time, but I think putting 200 would not be unreasonable.)

I would never want to be without this case feeder. Hope this information is helpful to you. Kindest regards...

5 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

Thanks for your insight, that gives me something to think about. I wonder if it works better on the 650 or if that one has occasional issues as well. How much does it speed up your case output (i.e. cases per hour)

I used to have a 650 with a case feeder years ago.  I had zero problems out of it.  I timed myself once to see what kind of speed I could get out of it.  I loaded over 900 rounds of .40 in one hour.  That was with me looking inside every case to check for powder.  I also had all of my primer tubes full before, so I did not have to stop for that.

For the 550 now, I don't know that it really sped me up any.  It may have sped me up 10%?????  I don't shoot nearly the amount I used to, so I really just take my time.

4 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

I wonder if the case feeder is as problematic on the 650 as well

No, completely different design and setup on the 650 vs the 550.  The 650 was designed from the out-start to use a casefeed, the 550 was not.

I have no issues with the 1050 case feed as well.

I was in your position.  I had a 550b and wanted to increase output.  I thought about adding a case feeder to the 550b or selling it and buying a 650.  I didn't want to deal with the hassle of selling the 550b so I bought the case feeder.  I was loading 9mm, 40, and 38 special.  I could never get it to run right.  As others have said the casefeeder on the 550b is an afterthought.  I ended up selling the 550b, using the casefeeder on my casepro, and buying a 650.  The 550b is a great well balanced machine.  Add a casefeeder and it is unbalanced (left hand does 2 things, right hand just runs handle).  If you want a casefeeder buy a 650.

After listening all of the most excellent advice I have gotten here. I have came to the conclusion that I am not getting a case feeder for the 550b. I will most likely keep the 550 and get a 650 or sell the 550 and get a 650. 

I am wondering if I have room for both the 550 and 650 on my bench. Here is my set up:

y4m8cBDUE-V2nKr4zVwctBeh2ZJBLtc1U1-CMAAH

Edited by GregInAtl

Just helpful advise but I wouldn't run anything with a casefeeder on that bench... casefeeders expose all a bench's weaknesses :).  You really need a sturdy, solid bench with a casefeed more so than with just a standard reloading press, otherwise you run in to all sorts of feeding and collating issues.  You could beef it up some by adding a sheet of 3/4 ply to the top and maybe bracing the CF to the wall, but to be honest I would suggest just building a new bench, if possible, or picking up a stronger pre-built option like Gladiator if you're not into bench-building.

Also, you can look into quick mount systems from the excellent Inline Fabriction store.  I have one of there QR plates routed into my workbench and can swap my 550, Forster, Trimmer, Vice, etc all in the same spot... They also offer it on a rasied mount as well.  The 1050 I run direct mounted since I use it much more often and don't expect to move it around much :).

Inline Fab Quick Change Press Mounting System

JlMeGSL.jpg

a8l2Kpw.jpg

rFimMqN.jpg

Edited by 78Staff

On 7/4/2017 at 11:41 AM, 78Staff said:

Just helpful advise but I wouldn't run anything with a casefeeder on that bench... casefeeders expose all a bench's weaknesses :).  You really need a sturdy, solid bench with a casefeed more so than with just a standard reloading press, otherwise you run in to all sorts of feeding and collating issues.  You could beef it up some by adding a sheet of 3/4 ply to the top and maybe bracing the CF to the wall, but to be honest I would suggest just building a new bench, if possible, or picking up a stronger pre-built option like Gladiator if you're not into bench-building.

Also, you can look into quick mount systems from the excellent Inline Fabriction store.  I have one of there QR plates routed into my workbench and can swap my 550, Forster, Trimmer, Vice, etc all in the same spot... They also offer it on a rasied mount as well.  The 1050 I run direct mounted since I use it much more often and don't expect to move it around much :).

Inline Fab Quick Change Press Mounting System

JlMeGSL.jpg

a8l2Kpw.jpg

If you don't mind my asking, which model of Gladiator do you have or better yet, what are the dimensions?

6 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

If you don't mind my asking, which model of Gladiator do you have or better yet, what are the dimensions?

Gladiator Premier Maple Top 72" Adjustable, from Sears.  I bought this one for the adjustable legs and maple top, I think they offer fixed leg versions and "hardwood" top (but I never could find out what "hardwood" actually meant) that are a bit cheaper though.  It's actually on sale now but when I bought one it was a bit less even, plus I had some coupons so got it for just over $300 IIRC.  Very sturdy, and I cut some 2x8's to make a shelf underneath, loaded up with lead and primers...  that sucker doesn't move :).

Gladiator Premier 72" Maple Top Adjustable

That being said, I wish I had bought the 8ft :(   Here are some other pics as it was in progress lol...

AntWbSE.jpg

1E9VFuZ.jpg

VHFB4Gz.jpg

KNdwvTf.jpg

7HTq3Xi.jpg

S410esf.jpg

On 7/3/2017 at 3:55 PM, 78Staff said:

1zczHsF.jpg

LEQM8xR.jpg

Very nice set up you have there. Is that a 550 and a 650 or a 650 and a 1050. I noticed one of your presses is all the way on the right end of the 

It's a 550 on the right, I had a CF on it for a while but got fed up with tinkering with it so sold it :).  The 550 pretty much only runs rimmed ammo now, all my pistol and 223 get loaded on the 1050 - so I don't use the 550 near as much anymore - just for 38/357, 45AR, 44, or sometimes load development.

26 minutes ago, 78Staff said:

It's a 550 on the right, I had a CF on it for a while but got fed up with tinkering with it so sold it :).  The 550 pretty much only runs rimmed ammo now, all my pistol and 223 get loaded on the 1050 - so I don't use the 550 near as much anymore - just for 38/357, 45AR, 44, or sometimes load development.

DId you have your 550 on a quick mount, and if so do you take it off sometimes when more space is needed? I was talking to Inline Fabrication

today about getting a strong mount similar to Dillon's. They make them in 3 different sizes (4", 7.5", 9.75"), the 4" appeals to me because I could still sit down and load (I think)

Edited by GregInAtl

49 minutes ago, GregInAtl said:

DId you have your 550 on a quick mount, and if so do you take it off sometimes when more space is needed? I was talking to Inline Fabrication

today about getting a strong mount similar to Dillon's. They make them in 3 different sizes (4", 7.5", 9.75"), the 4" appeals to me because I could still sit down and load (I think)

I started with the Dillon Mount, Then changed to the 9.75" Inline Fab, both used while standing.  At my bench height, the 9.75" was a bit high IMO, and because I wanted to use the quickmount plates having the riser wouldn't work for the other items too well (they would be to high, especially the vice) so I set it up on the quickmount plate only, which is how it's installed now (pic below).  I changed to sitting on a stool now to run the 550 but to be honest I still would prefer it to be a bit higher, so I might fiddle with the setup some more, but since I don't use the 550 near as much since I got the 1050 so it's low priority.

a8l2Kpw.jpg

My bench is set at 39" which is perfect for me using the 1050 standing, so I try to make everything else work around that.  The vice and Forster Coax work well at bench height (sitting) when slotted into the plate, but the 550 and the Lee (which is a dedicated bullet puller) could probably be a bit higher.  In hindsight I probably would be happy with the 4" mount with QR top, but since I've routed out the bench for the plate I don't want to remove it lol.  

Dan also makes a custom larger QR plate drilled for his riser mounts, large enough to mount his riser mount with QR plate for a press AND still have the quickmount option also at bench height, which is another option, but seemed like a "too many moving parts" deal :).

Short version - get your bench height dialed in first, then measure and move from there. :)

I acquired an orphaned 550 feeder and gave it a couple-three pretty serious tries.  Yes, it will mostly feed cases.  But really a pain and gets in the way.
I actually had a misfeed, kept moving the handle, and broke off the "platform" that screws to the underside of the presses' platform.  It's a $120 part but Dillon sent me a new one.

I should be fairly mechanical.  I owned and operated a cabinet shop with all kinds of machinery and more than a few other things, but the 550 casefeeder beat me.

Here's what I learned: my actual, overall reloading speed did not change for the better.  If I could manage 400 rounds per hour without it, I couldn't quite achieve that rate with the feeder, counting in the time required for setup, tuning, fixing, retuning, clearing jams, and all the rest.
The clock made the call for me.

15 minutes ago, Cherryriver said:

I acquired an orphaned 550 feeder and gave it a couple-three pretty serious tries.  Yes, it will mostly feed cases.  But really a pain and gets in the way.
I actually had a misfeed, kept moving the handle, and broke off the "platform" that screws to the underside of the presses' platform.  It's a $120 part but Dillon sent me a new one.

I should be fairly mechanical.  I owned and operated a cabinet shop with all kinds of machinery and more than a few other things, but the 550 casefeeder beat me.

Here's what I learned: my actual, overall reloading speed did not change for the better.  If I could manage 400 rounds per hour without it, I couldn't quite achieve that rate with the feeder, counting in the time required for setup, tuning, fixing, retuning, clearing jams, and all the rest.
The clock made the call for me.

I called Dillon yesterday and even they admitted that it only adds 20% to your throughput with the casefeeder. That's not enough to make it worthwhile IMO. Thanks for your post

If you are looking at a casefeeder for a 550, selling it or adding a 650 or 1050 alongside it is the smart move, instead. You're on the right track.

The 650 casefeeder is exceptionally reliable. Once .380s and .40s have been culled with the plastic tray "shell sorter" system, I might have the casefeeer feed an inverted case or otherwise cause an easily fixed hangup once in every 500 to 1,000 rounds. And I've made zero adjustments to it since 2008. Only turned it on... and off.

Also, I personally beleive the bench you currently use would be just fine - if you aggressively mount the bench top to the wall. The difference in rigidity that causes is even higher than you'd expect.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 7/5/2017 at 6:31 PM, 78Staff said:

Gladiator Premier Maple Top 72" Adjustable, from Sears.  I bought this one for the adjustable legs and maple top, I think they offer fixed leg versions and "hardwood" top (but I never could find out what "hardwood" actually meant) that are a bit cheaper though.  It's actually on sale now but when I bought one it was a bit less even, plus I had some coupons so got it for just over $300 IIRC.  Very sturdy, and I cut some 2x8's to make a shelf underneath, loaded up with lead and primers...  that sucker doesn't move :).

Hi, me again. Is the one you have (I didn't see any reason to quote the pictures again) pretty sturdy without being bolted to the wall (it doesn't look like yours is bolted to the wall). I was looking at one just like yours in Sears yesterday. Home Depot sells them too but are on back order. Bolting it to the wall is not an option for me.

Btw, thanks for all the valuable input

23 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

I called Dillon yesterday and even they admitted that it only adds 20% to your throughput with the casefeeder. That's not enough to make it worthwhile IMO. Thanks for your post

That is a good piece of information.  The list the 550 at 400 per hour I believe.  So you gain 80 per hour on the upside.  On the downside caliber changes take more time. 

If you are loading 10,000 cases before a caliber change it is worth it.  Loading for 2 hours everyday will make a wintery January roll by quickly.  Then you change primer size and caliber for February.

So it comes down to batch size you will be loading.  

6 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

Hi, me again. Is the one you have (I didn't see any reason to quote the pictures again) pretty sturdy without being bolted to the wall (it doesn't look like yours is bolted to the wall). I was looking at one just like yours in Sears yesterday. Home Depot sells them too but are on back order. Bolting it to the wall is not an option for me.

Btw, thanks for all the valuable input

Mine is actually bolted to the wall, but reality is with the weight I have on the bench and shelf below it really wasn't necessary, to be honest.  I just did it out of habit b/c I've always bolted reloading benches to walls studs.  By itself it's a fairly heavy and sturdy bench.