Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 115, 124, Or 125?

1hotrod

Hey Hotrod- This is for 9major, right???

Get 1000 of 115's and 124's and work 'em up to major with a couple of powders and see which one you like better.

I'd be more concerned about which one I liked before I bought 4000 of something. The 1000 boxes are just test size. :P I've run 4k 115's and 3k 124's and still havn't made up my mind. I'm down to one from 4 starting powders that makes major in both bullet weights. Oh BTW, some 115's are too short to use for the 9major. Don't buy 1k of something that you can't use. This month I'm using 124's, next month I'm going back to 115's.

Good Luck!!!!!

I can't comment on 9mm Major, since I have no experience with it. For standard 9x19, the heavier bullets seem to recoil softer at a given power factor. Accuracy depends on how your gun and the bullet match up, with weight not being a factor as long as the twist will stabilize it - and all .355" barrels available will stabilize all available bullet weights.

The only way to find out which works best for you is for you to shoot all the combinations and see how they work for you. Yeah, I know that that's not what you wanted to hear. :)

Sorry, but you will have to buy some and experiment and see what your gun likes. If you are going for accuracy, pick three powders, say W231, TG and WSF, Load to 4 different velocities with both bullets, and then go shoot at 25yds. If they chrono and shoot well at 25, then they should at 50. IF this is for major 9, you gots to experiement even more........and then it depends on your barrel as well......I started experimenting with the 9x19 last year, still going..... :wacko:

Most -- but not all -- people who shoot 9mm major (165+ pf) use 124/125 gr. bullets. If you're not loading for an open gun it may not make much difference. I have a 9mm Colt Commander that _hates_ 124 gr. bullets -- groups like buckshot. With 115 gr. the groups really tighten up.

for production gun, 147 shoots good, if you want a touch more snap, 125, snappier still 115....although 115s are so cheap its not really worth trying to load em!

for major 9, the 124-125 would probably serve your purpose better.

Shoot Production, played with 115, 124, 135 and 147 over the last 3-4 years.

Settled on the 135 Zero's. My G34 seems to like them a great deal.

115's started to go all over the place, 124's were nice but lacking. 147 too much, and the 135's a nice mix of everything.

That being said, it is all a personal preference.

Helped a friend chrono some 9 major loads, all using 135gr Zero's as well. PF around 170-172, no pressure signs, and a flat shooting load - for his guns.

Play around, that's what makes it fun!

I searched your other posts & they include your post:

"What weight are you guys using in a 9major open gun? 10lbs or less.Can you modify a 10lb to let's say an 8lb"

Looks like your original Q. re: bullet weight refers to major9. Use 124s.

If not, then Production: 147grn 9x19 and for .40: 180. C.

Been experimenting with bullets for my Open 9mm Major...

Plated Cam-pro RN 124 (so-so)

Plated Frontier RN 124 (OK)

Montana Gold FMJ RN 124 (good)

Hornady HAP 125 (favorite)

All function well in my gun but grouping with the plated goes sour past 20 meter....