Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC open 9mm major Load Recommendations

LeoTheLion

Hello everyone,

I just got my STI dvc open 9mm major and this is my first time loading major. Any recommendations of what bullet/brand should I use? RN or JHP? does anyone have an experience with this gun and has a good load data info? I searched the form and been reading the 9mm load recommendations and I just want to see if someone has an experience with the specific gun! Thanks

I've been really liking RMR bullets of Everglade bullets.  They're cheaper than MG and work fantastically well. 

You shouldn't need to go with a JHP bullet.  As long as the coating is good to 1500 fps you're okay with plated or coated too.  I've loaded heavy plated bullets and they worked great.  Some say the blue bullets work at 9 major velocities, I haven't tried them.

If you're new to reloading, VVN 3n38 is a super safe powder to use.  Although your case will be fairly full with a 115 grain bullet.  

Leo,

CFE (at 6.8gr) with 124gr Bayou works well (170pf), the biggest issue with coated projectiles is the powder "burns" the coating causing the glass to get all funked up.

Above is with a Limcat with ported barrel.

I also use CFE (7.2-7.4 gr) with 124gr Berry's HBFP  Heavy plated projectiles,

And both of these are 1.150OAL

34 minutes ago, nbot said:

I've been really liking RMR bullets of Everglade bullets.  They're cheaper than MG and work fantastically well. 

You shouldn't need to go with a JHP bullet.  As long as the coating is good to 1500 fps you're okay with plated or coated too.  I've loaded heavy plated bullets and they worked great.  Some say the blue bullets work at 9 major velocities, I haven't tried them.

If you're new to reloading, VVN 3n38 is a super safe powder to use.  Although your case will be fairly full with a 115 grain bullet.  

you think I should try 124gr coated bullets? if so, should I use flat nose or round nose?

20 minutes ago, Nghthwk1911 said:

Leo,

CFE (at 6.8gr) with 124gr Bayou works well (170pf), the biggest issue with coated projectiles is the powder "burns" the coating causing the glass to get all funked up.

Above is with a Limcat with ported barrel.

I also use CFE (7.2-7.4 gr) with 124gr Berry's HBFP  Heavy plated projectiles,

And both of these are 1.150OAL

Thank you for this info

I'm real lazy  ...    :huh:

I use (and recommend) WAC or HS6 under a 124 gr JHP, only ....    :bow:

Other bullets may mess up your comp, and other powders tend

to fill up the case too quickly, leaving a mess in your reloader.    :) 

39 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'm real lazy  ...    :huh:

I use (and recommend) WAC or HS6 under a 124 gr JHP, only ....    :bow:

Other bullets may mess up your comp, and other powders tend

to fill up the case too quickly, leaving a mess in your reloader.    :) 

What is the advantage of JHP? do you have a DVC open as well?

I don't have a DVC, but I do have a Trubor. 

I have used Blue Bullets recently, for the ability to shoot more:D. I use them with HS-6 and shoot them at about 1550 fps. No barrel leading, no comp fouling. 

Ive shot about 2k of them, with the only difference (from plated or jacketed) being a bit more soot on the outside of the comp, that wipes away with very little effort. In my opinion a good trade off. But you can decide for yourself. 

14 hours ago, LeoTheLion said:

Do you have the DVC limited or open? Thanks for your input!

DVC Open gun shooting major. Use the gun in USPSA & 3-gun. My son has the Limited DVC in 3-gun black version Really like both of them. Had a few issues in mine to start, but gun runs good now. His has run perfect out of the box.

gerritm

6.4-6.6 grs autocomp, 124 gr Bayou coated. 1.150-60 depends on how your gun runs the oal.

6.8 grs of autocomp, 124 PD or Mg jacketed, 1.160-1.170 see above

Both loads have run well in any and all of my 2011 open guns

3 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

6.4-6.6 grs autocomp, 124 gr Bayou coated. 1.150-60 depends on how your gun runs the oal.

6.8 grs of autocomp, 124 PD or Mg jacketed, 1.160-1.170 see above

Both loads have run well in any and all of my 2011 open guns

What is the advantage of using JHP compare to coated bullets?. Is it okay for me to run a coated bullets?

I shoot coated all the time now.

Gun doesn't run any better with jacketed and mine (5 over the last 3 years) haven't preformed better with jacketed.

I run some jacketed through it every month at some point just because I have a bunch loaded so  I use them at practice or a steel match or local.  My guns have always shot the coated and jacketed to same POI. so not a big deal.

I get to shoot more with the coated, that's the main reason I use them.

If jacketed was the same cost or had more money in the gun budget I would shoot jacketed .

you will get some minor build up in the comp with coated, I think its the coating not lead, or a mixture of both.

But I get more build up with FMJ with lead exposed bases than from coated.

Boils down to choose your bullet and work your load up and then shoot it a bunch and stop thinking about the load, work on your shooting.

7 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I shoot coated all the time now.

Gun doesn't run any better with jacketed and mine (5 over the last 3 years) haven't preformed better with jacketed.

I run some jacketed through it every month at some point just because I have a bunch loaded so  I use them at practice or a steel match or local.  My guns have always shot the coated and jacketed to same POI. so not a big deal.

I get to shoot more with the coated, that's the main reason I use them.

If jacketed was the same cost or had more money in the gun budget I would shoot jacketed .

you will get some minor build up in the comp with coated, I think its the coating not lead, or a mixture of both.

But I get more build up with FMJ with lead exposed bases than from coated.

Boils down to choose your bullet and work your load up and then shoot it a bunch and stop thinking about the load, work on your shooting.

thank you so much for all your help!. I shot the gun today with 6.4gr WAC, 124gr JHP, OAL 1.16, and .376 crimp. I started low on the powder just to be on the safe side. It shot very well, however I'm getting about 2 out of 10 FTE and it never slide locked when empty. So, I think your suggestion of 6.8grn is just about right! Again, Thanks for your help!

7 hours ago, LeoTheLion said:

6.4gr WAC, 124gr JHP, OAL 1.16, and .376 crimp.  , I think your suggestion of 6.8grn is just about right!

1.  Hope you have a chrono - what velocity are you getting from 6.4 gr WAC

2.  How is the accuracy at .376" crimp?   Seems like it might be a little more aggressive than I use..

But, if it feeds well, and is accurate - no problem.    :) 

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

1.  Hope you have a chrono - what velocity are you getting from 6.4 gr WAC

2.  How is the accuracy at .376" crimp?   Seems like it might be a little more aggressive than I use..

But, if it feeds well, and is accurate - no problem.    :) 

what's your crimp sir?

30 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

.377 - .378".

What's your velocity at 6.4 gr WAC?

I'm at 173 PF with Bayou 124RN COL 1.150, CCI mag primers

SD is 6 or 8

• 1 month later...