Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red or Green fiber optic front

f250sd

I use heinie rear/dawson front sights on both my Glock 34(idpa&production) and 35(uspsa limited&L10). I've always used the red front inserts, seem the most popular. Now i've been thinking about switching them to green. The green ones seem brighter. Is this all just personal preference or is there one color your eyes actually pick up easier. :wacko:

The human eye will see green as being brighter as it is closer to the middle of the visible spectrum (for humans), that is why a green laser with the same power output as a red one appears brighter.

Also as Matt Burkett said (paraphrased) is with a green fiber optic his eyes don't treat it like a dot sight. :ph34r:

That said: what I have seen color choice is a personal preference. Some like Red, some like Green, some like Amber/yellow.

I did a search, and just did another one, I can't find a discussion about red vs. green, Only Black vs. F.O.

Quick search with "fiber and optic and color" came back with: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...optic+and+color

These are probably most relevant:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19570

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6223

I'm recently convinced F/O is from the devil. I've found black on black for me is much better for me (BE is once again correct.) This becomes very evident at partial target 13+ yards.

In a lot of lighting conditions you can't see around the optic because of it's brightness. If I had to use it again, green is much better for me than red.

Might sound funny but I don't look at the FO, I look at the very top of the sight because that is what I use as a reference point to shoot with. I'm using a Dawson front and the FO is down in the blade and I shoot right at the very top of the blade. Yes, the FO draws my attention to the total blade but my focus is at the top of the blade not at the the point where the FO is.

Eric and 300# I know that you boys are kidding around, but in all seriousness I would like to try my Dawson front with an opaque, flat black insert. It would make it, in effect, a solid black front sight, BUT I could go back to the FO in a few minutes if I wanted too.

Eric, you make the flat black inserts and I'll place the first order.

Rick

Might sound funny but I don't look at the FO, I look at the very top of the sight because that is what I use as a reference point to shoot with.  I'm using a Dawson front and the FO is down in the blade and I shoot right at the very top of the blade.  Yes, the FO draws my attention to the total blade but my focus is at the top of the blade not at the the point where the FO is.

Eric and 300# I know that you boys are kidding around, but in all seriousness I would like to try my Dawson front with an opaque, flat black insert.  It would make it, in effect, a solid black front sight, BUT I could go back to the FO in a few minutes if I wanted too. 

Eric, you make the flat black inserts and I'll place the first order. 

Rick

That's exactly how I use a FO sight. The FO is there for tracking purposes only, not for aiming purposes.

If you really want a black FO sight, just spray sight black on the thing.

Bluntly, never used sight black before; does it come off easily enough if you want your fo back?

Once in a while I see someone at a shoot with this huge, basketball sized, blaze orange dot. I wonder how they ever aquire and upper A zone with the thing? Guess the old days of bullseye shooting and my rimfire silhouette shooting from days gone by have me looking for a sight picture that is a little different than some.

The Dawson's that I own also have fo in the rear. I don't think that I ever even see the rear fo. I could sight black those for sure.

Rick

Bluntly, never used sight black before; does it come off easily enough if you want your fo back?

Once in a while I see someone at a shoot with this huge, basketball sized, blaze orange dot.  I wonder how they ever aquire and upper A zone with the thing?  Guess the old days of bullseye shooting and my rimfire silhouette shooting from days gone by have me looking for a sight picture that is a little different than some. 

The Dawson's that I own also have fo in the rear.  I don't think that I ever even see the rear fo.  I could sight black those for sure. 

Rick

Yep, comes off pretty easy. Use a Q-Tip and bam. It'll be a bit darker than it was before (doesn't come off completely), but still visible.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...tle=SIGHT+BLACK